This is so weird.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#122 redhasek2013

redhasek2013

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

ALFREDSSON LEAVING THE SENATORS, EXPECTED TO JOIN RED WINGS

Daniel Alfredsson is leaving the Ottawa Senators.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the long-time team captain made the Senators aware of his decision on Thursday night while TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie says the expectation is that he'll sign with the Detroit Red Wings.

Last season, Alfredsson scored 10 goals and 16 assists in 47 games.

The native of Gotherburg, Sweden has spent his entire career in the nation's capital, scoring 426 goals and adding 682 assists in 1,178 games.

The 40-year-old veteran was originally selected in the sixth round by the Senators at the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426996

#123 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

@HeleneStJames: Hearing Daniel Alfredsson 99% likely to join the Detroit Red Wings. One-year deal, heavy on bonuses that can be deferred to 2014-15.

#124 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Those of you sharting your collective pants do realize that Alfie scored as many points as Brunner, you know the guy that everyone is freaking out over the fact Holland hasn't signed?

He also was a PPG player in the post season, and he played all but one game this season.

OR... are you just freaking out because of his age?

Age.  Brunner has a potential future with the Wings.  Alfie gives Detroit a season or two and then it's time to find yet another replacement for the offense with Dats and Z even older.

#125 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Alfie still is a good player.  Looking just at him coming to the Wings, there's a lot to like.

For me if he's a one of a few moves, then this could be great.  If this is Holland's only move, then not so much.  

Potentially losing Flip and Brunner and signing a 40 year old Alfredsson and relying on Sammy and Bertuzzi going forward.

We'll see how it all shakes out though. 

I am actually embarrassed by the consistent moves to sign 35+ players in UFA. Enough is enough. We are justifying our stereotype that the "wings are old"

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#126 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

This is so weird.

Actually it's quite on par with the Red Wings track record.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#127 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

http://kuklaskorner....hinking-detroit

Don't Toews me, bro!

#128 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

And if he doesn't get hurt, it is a win for Detroit. Exactly how does Alfie hurt the team if he went on injured reserve? Any signing has a risk. This is a short term fix that will prevent the team from losing the kids down the road.

He prevents signings this year and leaves a kid to ride pine or stay in GR until he gets injured. 

#129 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Waste of money, waste of time. What a joke.

Well - at least Alfie is a likeable guy, and appears to be able of putting up 50 pts if he stays healthy...Otherwise I pretty much share your sentiments...It's a bit of a head scratcher considering his mileage.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#130 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

Those of you sharting your collective pants do realize that Alfie scored as many points as Brunner, you know the guy that everyone is freaking out over the fact Holland hasn't signed?

He also was a PPG player in the post season, and he played all but one game this season.

Yeah I think most are really focusing too much on his age and not his stats even at 40. And we know it won't be more than 2 years...I think it will be a pretty good signing if true.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#131 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

I am actually embarrassed by the consistent moves to sign 35+ players in UFA. Enough is enough. We are justifying our stereotype that the "wings are old"

Don't forget the No Trade Clauses.  ;)

#132 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Good deal
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#133 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

One thing I really don't like about it, we're gonna be really soft, barring other moves. And we're gonna have targets on our back in our own division. Toronto, Alfredsson's arch enemies since he was drafted. Boston, a team he apparently spurned to sign with us. And of course, Ottawa, the team where he is a legend. Can't judge it today, we'll see how this works next spring. 

#NOMOREKINDL

#134 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

If it is only a 1-year deal then I'd be more comfortable with it, I guess. Even though deals like this always feel unsavory to me. Modano shouldn't have left Dallas, Alfredsson should retire a Senator. *shrug

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#135 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Age.  Brunner has a potential future with the Wings.  Alfie gives Detroit a season or two and then it's time to find yet another replacement for the offense with Dats and Z even older.

Brunner played one shortened season in the NHL and had a hard time being consistent at that.

Didn't Brunstrum have a pretty good first year in the NHL?

I can go down the list of one year guys that have played in the NHL. 

Tatar, Nyquist, and the other forwards "Rotting" in GR are not ready to assume top line minutes, Alfie fills that role for one season while the young guys have another chance to acclimate to the NHL.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#136 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Brunner played one shortened season in the NHL and had a hard time being consistent at that.

Tatar, Nyquist, and the other forwards "Rotting" in GR are not ready to assume top line minutes, Alfie fills that role for one season while the young guys have another chance to acclimate to the NHL.

Did you miss the playoffs? Brunner scored quite a few goals for us while playing on the 3rd line...

#137 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Another positive.....Alfie is a righty.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#138 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Nyquist Andersson and Tartar have to play with the Wing or get released this year. He's not taking top 6 minutes from any if them.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#139 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

FALSE. Tatar and Nyquist ARE ready to assume top 6 minutes. Nyquist already shows that ability and Tatar is an AHL playoff MVP. That is "earning it" on any other team. They can't prove it if they never get a shot. We haven't recently had young star talent because by the time they get a chance to establish themselves they are on the wrong side of 25. 

#140 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Guys its a 1 year deal... Right handed shot who can definitely put up 50+ points this season.

Little risk... High Reward!

Welcome Alfie!