• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

Rate this topic

Yeah, the big difference with Modano is that he had a reputation as a floater for a few years before he came to us. Alfredsson, while old, still has game.

EDIT: As discussed in the other thread, the problem most people have with this signing is the money (rumored to be around $6 million), and the possibility that he is our big free agent acquisition this summer. I don't think most of us actively don't want him here in any form. But with all the talent we're losing, people are worried he isn't going to make that much of a difference. We are still where we were a few weeks ago, and need help offensively.

I don't see the downside here.

I agree, there isn't really a downside, 1 year deal, bad year he's going to get 20 goals I think..good year he might get 30..low risk..high reward.

Love this signing. He still puts up about 20 goals and its a 1 yr deal. Forces the kids to earn their top six minutes, while not taking away a roster spot for them (only from sammy and bert). Good insurance if brunner walks. Low risk with a potential high reward. Hard to hate this, unless you are just looking to hate on Holland for not breaking the bank of this absurd FA class. Not saying Holland has been perfect (not even close) but he hasn't been brazen and dumb either, just consistent.

At this point Brunner will be our only option for a top 6 scorer.

Guess we'll see how much he's getting.

Well at that price for his age I don't like it. His bonuses better be something that he'll have to actually work for.

Edited by fixxxer

I wouldn't mind this deal at all if A.) We'd already re-signed Brunner and B.) we'd been able to unload Sammy.

I won't hate this deal as long as we don't re-sign Cleary. I will hate everything if we don't re-sign Brunner.

I don't know if any if these things are related, but I have feels and it makes sense in my head right now.

TSNBobMcKenzie: Expectation is Alfredsson will go to DET. Since he's 35+ player, base salary likely in $3.5M range with bonuses taking it up to $5M total.

Great deal. His bonuses would count against next years cap.

That way he maybe gone, but the mistake will still linger!

I'm somewhat surprised by all the negativity here. I mean, I loathe Holland's veteran fetish as much as the next guy, but there's a lot to like about this deal. Or, ok, maybe not a lot, but it's not like this makes absolutely no sense and will only rob a kid of a spot and Dear-God-will-someone-please-think-of-the-children etc.

He's coming here to win a Cup. He's Dallas Drake Version 2.0.

Plus, I've gotta think this means Cleary is gone.

I agree, there isn't really a downside, 1 year deal, bad year he's going to get 20 goals I think..good year he might get 30..low risk..high reward.

I just read that his contract won't be for $6 million, but for 3.5 which is way more appropriate. I really like this signing for that price. But I don't think he'll get 30. He is slightly declining, and add in a new system and teammates, and the fact that usually our veteran signings don't do as well offensively as they used to, I'm betting he nails 20 goals, 25 if we're lucky.

But I feel a lot better about this signing, and am actually excited about it for 3.5 million.

Okay, and? Have you looked at his stats? The way he is declining hes probably not going to repeat those stats.

So what he gets downgraded to the # 6 scorer?

You claim that there are youngsters lined up to take his spot, but all of them are unproven, even Nyquist and Tatar did well in less than a half season.

None of the youngsters we (myself included) are all excited about have played a full season in the NHL, plus they are all headed for the dreaded Sophomore slump.

And I am looking at his stats, he has scored 20 goals every year except for a 47 and a 57 game seasons.

He has been a minus twice in his entire career.

In his last full season (2011-2012) he put up 27 32 with a plus 16.

So my question to you would be who's stats are you looking at that make you think a youngster should take his spot?

Which was your original statement!

I wouldn't mind this deal at all if A.) We'd already re-signed Brunner and B.) we'd been able to unload Sammy.

I won't hate this deal as long as we don't re-sign Cleary. I will hate everything if we don't re-sign Brunner.

I don't know if any if these things are related, but I have feels and it makes sense in my head right now.

Agreed

I lurve this post.

LOL well said

IF and I stress IF this is the replacement for Cleary and there's still another signing on the way then I'm OK with it.

OK with it is about as good you can get with Holland and free agents.

I'm somewhat surprised by all the negativity here. I mean, I loathe Holland's veteran fetish as much as the next guy, but there's a lot to like about this deal. Or, ok, maybe not a lot, but it's not like this makes absolutely no sense and will only rob a kid of a spot and Dear-God-will-someone-please-think-of-the-children etc.

He's coming here to win a Cup. He's Dallas Drake Version 2.0.

Plus, I've gotta think this means Cleary is gone.

There's two things at work here - there's the idea itself of Alfredsson being a Wing for a year, which I think is AWESOME. But there's also the idea of what it means. If it's simply swapping #11's and letting Cleary go, so be it. But Alfredsson costs a little more, and if this deal means that they can't retain Brunner (or don't find a decently priced 2nd line center), then that could be a net negative.

Alfredsson, even more than Iginla, always seemed like a natural fit for the Red Wings some day. This really is the "IKEA Red Wings" now!

Guest RedWingsDad

Holland simply doesn't learn. Wish I could say I don't believe it, but completely expected from the guy who ran after Modano, Sammy, and Jagr.

40 years old and will have to adopt to a brand new system and style of play

All thats left now is Clearly and that will be our free agent splash.

While you conveniently disregard the signings of 35+ year old players that HAVE worked out for us... Edited by RedWingsDad

Guest Playmaker

I don't like the deal because it's following the same old formula. Eventually, Holland has to take a risk, do something a little bold, go out on a limb. The Wings were forced to this season, and look how it turned out. I had hoped it would lead to a change in philosophy, but obviously it hasn't. Our "kids" are in their mid-20's for crying out loud. You can't keep these guys in GR forever. They're either NHL quality or their not.

Guest The Axe

This is only a bad deal if we resign Flip, Cleary, Brunner, and keep Samuelsson. If we get rid of those 4, then this works.

So what he gets downgraded to the # 6 scorer?

You claim that there are youngsters lined up to take his spot, but all of them are unproven, even Nyquist and Tatar did well in less than a half season.

None of the youngsters we (myself included) are all excited about have played a full season in the NHL, plus they are all headed for the dreaded Sophomore slump.

And I am looking at his stats, he has scored 20 goals every year except for a 47 and a 57 game seasons.

He has been a minus twice in his entire career.

In his last full season (2011-2012) he put up 27 32 with a plus 16.

So my question to you would be who's stats are you looking at that make you think a youngster should take his spot?

Which was your original statement!

The ones showing his scoring has dropped over 30% in 2 years.