• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

Rate this topic

Another short term fix, that will not address our need to get bigger and stronger. Waste of $$$ in my opinion.

The best thing about a short term fix is its short term. Get him for a season and hope for better FA's next year. If it works out then good its better than having they money sit.

Well, just basing it on the last day or so, Nill traded a Swede and added an established player still only 21 and a cheap, defensively responsible center in Peverley for prospects. I can't remember Holland making any trade such as this.

So you do not like Swedes on teams, are you using that for your argument?????

Nill traded and All-star would have been a bit better way to start that, however that doesn't suit your argument as much does it?

That 21 yr old reportedly has off ice/maturity issues, and Rich Peverly is not exactly lighting the world on fire.

And that Swede has 4 times put up > 70 point seasons and was on pace for 60 last season.

Seguin stock has done nothing but go down in Boston, maybe that is part of the environment, maybe that is all on Seguin.

But Seguin has had one season that was as good as Ericsson's worst season.

Lets not judge Nill as some awesome NHL GM, until the regular season starts, heck lets even wait until he has a season or two under his belt.

Remember the should have kept Yzerman over Holland posts, everyone still want Yzerman over Holland as a GM?

Edited by Opie

Look at the list of FAs next year, this one year deal is going to look great rather than spending more money for more term on someone who won't match what could be available next season. Not to mention we'll have some more of our young guys ready to move up.

Another short term fix, that will not address our need to get bigger and stronger. Waste of $$$ in my opinion.

there's no long term fix that addresses getting bigger and stronger among the free agents. would have wasted $$$ on them

Guest Kronstantinov

5.5 for a 40 year old who was on pace(over 82 games) for less than 20 goals and less than 50 points while playing more than all Wings forwards other than Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Edited by Kronstantinov

Guest Playmaker

At least we aren't Toronto. What the hell are they doing today??

Signing David Clarkson. I'd rather have him than Alfie

5.5 for a 40 year old who was on pace(over 82 games) for less than 20 goals and less than 50 points while playing more than all Wings forwards other than Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

3.5 (2 in bonuses, if he reaches them)

Reading is overrated!

Hey, isn't this the same price for Vinnie? Oh wait...

NO, actually it is no where near it.

Vinny's contract is actually worth 4.5 a year for 5 years!!!

While Alfie is 3.5 for 1 year!

Guest Kronstantinov

3.5 (2 in bonuses, if he reaches them)

Reading is overrated!

They will still be on the hook for the 2 in bonuses and they are probably very easy to reach.

They will still be on the hook for the 2 in bonuses and they are probably very easy to reach.

Probably, what if they are he needs to reach 70 points?

You have no idea, but are willing to complain based on some preconceive notion of the contract.

$4.5m cap hit for Vinny the next 5 years vs. $3.5 for Alfie for 1 & a possible $2m carry over into 2014-15 if he hits his bonuses. Oh wait..that isn't the same price at all

Isn't there also a cap cushion in place for bonuses? Capgeek lists Alfredsson's $5.5 million contract as well as a $60 million payroll, but shows the Wings as having $7.2 million left because $3 million of it is bonus money.

The best thing about a short term fix is its short term. Get him for a season and hope for better FA's next year. If it works out then good its better than having they money sit.

the worst thing is that the players that could actually make a difference are all locked up long term... This is hardly a passing trend. So rather than sign a player like Lecavalier because Holland thinks 5 yrs is too long, he will end up signing guys like Samuelsson and Alfredsson to short term contracts for the next five years.

Guest Playmaker

So you do not like Swedes on teams, are you using that for your argument?????

Nill traded and All-star would have been a bit better way to start that, however that doesn't suit your argument as much does it?

That 21 yr old reportedly has off ice/maturity issues, and Rich Peverly is not exactly lighting the world on fire.

And that Swede has 4 times put up > 70 point seasons and was on pace for 60 last season.

Seguin stock has done nothing but go down in Boston, maybe that is part of the environment, maybe that is all on Seguin.

But Seguin has had one season that was as good as Ericsson's worst season.

Lets not judge Nill as some awesome NHL GM, until the regular season starts, heck lets even wait until he has a season or two under his belt.

Remember the should have kept Yzerman over Holland posts, everyone still want Yzerman over Holland as a GM?

Well, Patrick Kane reportedly had maturity issues too. Kinda thinking the Blackhawks are glad that they didn't dump him based on that. A 21 year old guy who's not mature? Imagine that!

My response was directed at the "how do you know Nill didn't want this and Holland did" post. Holland is clearly conservative and plays it safe and sticks with older players and European players. Had Nill signed Alfie or another over 35 Swede, than it may be a little unclear, but Nill saw needs, and made moves that weren't necessarily safe. I didn't say he was a better GM, but anyone who says I don't want Cleary has some hockey sense in my book ;)

Isn't there also a cap cushion in place for bonuses? Capgeek lists Alfredsson's $5.5 million contract as well as a $60 million payroll, but shows the Wings as having $7.2 million left because $3 million of it is bonus money.

Yes, teams can in essence overspend the cap in the amount of bonuses that can be deferred to the next season if hit.

Well, Patrick Kane reportedly had maturity issues too. Kinda thinking the Blackhawks are glad that they didn't dump him based on that. A 21 year old guy who's not mature? Imagine that!

My response was directed at the "how do you know Nill didn't want this and Holland did" post. Holland is clearly conservative and plays it safe and sticks with older players and European players. Had Nill signed Alfie or another over 35 Swede, than it may be a little unclear, but Nill saw needs, and made moves that weren't necessarily safe. I didn't say he was a better GM, but anyone who says I don't want Cleary has some hockey sense in my book ;)

And my point would be that it is an organizational decision.

Nill is in a second or third tier hockey market, with very little pressure to win a cup.

Holland is in a top tier hockey market that looks at everyone of his moves under a microscope.

Holland is in an organization that has a long standing tradition of how they treat their players, Nill is given the keys to the castle and allowed to do what he wants.

He made one move, and now we are saying that his trait is to be more aggressive.

Again lets give him a year or two in Dallas before we anoint him the better GM, as my original post was in reply to some one saying we let the wrong GM leave!