• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

Rate this topic

This deal is a great fit for the Red Wings. It makes the team better in the short term and makes sense long term. While they need help at forward, this is such a lousy class of free agents that signing a good veteran player like Alfredsson to a 1-year contract opens the door for long term help next year with a free agent crop consisting of players like Kessel, Vanek, Gaborik, Sedin/Sedin, Bergeron, Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, etc. If even half of those players reach free agency, that will be a good group of forwards to choose from to bolster our offense. Much better than overpaying for long term contracts for players like Bozak, Clowe, Clarkson, etc.

My direct manager is a Sens fan, and I only found out today when he was walking around all pissed off. This next year will be a great one. For his birthday, Christmas, Easter and every other holiday I will get him hockey cards with Alfie in the Red Wings jersey :yahoo:

I must confess this feels really weird. Alfredsson WAS the Ottawa Senators. I've just been over to their board and its sack-cloth and ashes time. Imagine how we'd feel if a 40 year old Lidstrom had signed with the Kings because he felt he had a bettwe chance of a cup?

Seems bizarre reasoning to me, they're in a similar situation to us - 7/8 seed with some good kids coming through mixed with a few star players. Are our chances of a cup really that much greater than the Sens?

Seems bizarre reasoning to me, they're in a similar situation to us - 7/8 seed with some good kids coming through mixed with a few star players. Are our chances of a cup really that much greater than the Sens?

This was my thought as well. I think there is something else going on that the public is not aware of.

Think about it this way: we were in similar situations when ott had alfredsson and we didn't. When you take him away from their lineup and add him to ours, we move ahead of them. I would consider us contenders, and I think ott is still a few years away

Reading some of the hate and rage targeted towards Alfredsson on the Ottawa board left me wondering. Would we have reacted the same way had Lidstrom pulled something like that?

wow. i absolutely love this signing! he will be a great fit in detroit.

this is awesome news. wings will be lethal next season

and i can't understand why people are whining about this. did you see alfredsson play last year? he was one of the best players on the ice. every day. he might not have gotten alot of points but his work ethic and hockey iq is off the charts

- Great signing by Holland. Low risk / high reward.

- I don't understand how Sens fans can claim they have as much of a chance at winning the cup than the Wings do. The sens were absolutely humiliated by the Pens in the second round who were in turn humiliated by the Bruins in the third round. The Sens are a LONG way from being true contenders.

- With the addition of Weiss and Alfie and the growth of our kids I truly believe the Wings are a contender. Although I was impressed with the growth of our defence last season, I believe we are one top 3 defencemen away from being cup champions.

- I can't wait to get an Alfredsson #11 Red Wings Jersey! Who better to sign than the Leafs fans most hated player. I haven't been this excited for the season since 2009.

For the most part, Boston fans sure didn't react that way to Ray Bourque.

I think its a different situation for Ray Bourgue/Alfi they both haven't won a cup so they have a reason for going to a competative team although I wouldn't put Alfi on our team and automatically consider WIngs contenders just yet. It wouldn't make much sense for Lidstrom who had already won cups with his team to move to another team there would probably a similar backlash due to this fact. I think Sens fans are pissed because he's moving to a team who in all likelyhood have similar chances as us to win the cup. Course who knows if they would still be pissed if he went Bos, Chi, LA, or any other team who have higher expectations.

Like others have mentioned there's something going on behind the scenes that Alfi wanted out of Ottawa.

I must confess this feels really weird. Alfredsson WAS the Ottawa Senators. I've just been over to their board and its sack-cloth and ashes time. Imagine how we'd feel if a 40 year old Lidstrom had signed with the Kings because he felt he had a bettwe chance of a cup?

I agree. It feels weird. I feel like we just stole someone's wife. There are many things I like about the deal and obviously Alfie's very, very hungry and motivated to win a Cup, which is certainly good for us, but it just feels awkward to me.

And on the bizarre reasoning, I can't help but think it has something to do with the Olympics coming up and all those Swedish guys we've got skating around out there. The regular season will be good practice. If he's going to leave to focus solely on making a run at the Cup, whether we're further along or not than Ottawa, I think it makes some sense that he'd want to do so in an environment like Detroit where he'll be playing with a lot of guys he'll be making an Olympic run with.

But still, this is sitting even weirder today than yesterday. Yesterday I was just as shocked as anyone and didn't really think much of it. Today, I'm thinking, selflessly for once, "are you sure you want to do this, Alfie? Can I call you 'Alfie?'"

I agree. It feels weird. I feel like we just stole someone's wife. There are many things I like about the deal and obviously Alfie's very, very hungry and motivated to win a Cup, which is certainly good for us, but it just feels awkward to me.

That's called "The Brendan Shanahan Effect".

On the Alfie/Bourque comparisons, those we really different situations. Alfie's leaving as a UFA where Bourque was traded at the deadline by a GM/organization that was trying to get him a Cup specifically.

That's called "The Brendan Shanahan Effect".

On the Alfie/Bourque comparisons, those we really different situations. Alfie's leaving as a UFA where Bourque was traded at the deadline by a GM/organization that was trying to get him a Cup specifically.

Yep, plus it brought a return to Boston. Alfie just walked leaving Ottawa with nothing. I don't know if I blame him, and I do get it. But it's still just very weird.

Guest Playmaker

True story.

I have some friends in Ottawa and the general thinking is that the Sens were pretty sure that Alfie was going to retire and it threw them for a bit of a loop when he said he was coming back. Their "internal" budget didn't allow for much and they made him a lowball offer which he considered somewhat of an insult, which was why he left. Apparently his people contacted Detroit, not the other way around.

Guest RedWingsDad

My gosh those NBC clowns.... ***** much? They sound like a bunch hysterical little girls.

I honestly would have understood if a 40 yr old cup less Lidstrom went to another team. I would have cheered him on.