• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ogreslayer

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

Rate this topic

Guest mjtm77

A lot of non-Detroit fans I talked to kind of snickered at the Alfredsson signing, and that's confusing to me. To me, the guy is ageless like Selanne. He won't have quite the scoring impact that Selanne has had in his 40's, but he has leadership qualities and experience that will mean a ton to this locker room. You think the players on this team (especially the Swedes) will ever quit knowing that there's a living legend on their team who came here for basically one final crack at a Stanley Cup. It may not work, but what's not to like?

This is the type of move that almost seems matter-of-fact in the offseason (because he's old and it's short-term), but when October rolls around, I know I'll be having that "holy crap, Daniel Alfredsson plays for the Red Wings" moment. It's gonna be awesome to have him in that sweater.

true, but in a way somewhat debatable. He should do pretty good with us.

I feel that the Wings are better than Ottawa right now, and are contenders in the East. I also think that adding a top 2-4 defenseman will put them over the top and make them favorites, but I doubt that happens. For now we'll see how Smith, Kindl and DeKeyser play until the trade deadline.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

I don't really get the Modano comparisons. I get the age comparisons, leaving their lifelong teams, etc... but really, Modano had a freak accident. He was jumping onto the team as the 3rd line center, and things just sort of fell apart. Alfie's going to be on that 2nd line and given ample time on the PP. I feel like 50-60 points and a healthy season is a real possibility.

Guest The Axe

I don't really get the Modano comparisons. I get the age comparisons, leaving their lifelong teams, etc... but really, Modano had a freak accident. He was jumping onto the team as the 3rd line center, and things just sort of fell apart. Alfie's going to be on that 2nd line and given ample time on the PP. I feel like 50-60 points and a healthy season is a real possibility.

I just want more than Brunner. Thats what Fredo needs to do.,

So what number will he be taking in the event that Cleary comes back?

Can't find anything regarding that yet. Alfie is the only Wings roster member with no number assigned on the Roster page on the Wings website. Probably because he's waiting to see if Cleary comes back. If Cleary's gone, then Alfredsson will take #11, pretty much guaranteed.

If Danny returns, who knows? I was thinking #21 would be fitting, but that's already claimed by Tatar...

Can't find anything regarding that yet. Alfie is the only Wings roster member with no number assigned on the Roster page on the Wings website. Probably because he's waiting to see if Cleary comes back. If Cleary's gone, then Alfredsson will take #11, pretty much guaranteed.

If Danny returns, who knows? I was thinking #21 would be fitting, but that's already claimed by Tatar...

Even if Cleary is back, and I do think that's big if, I have a feeling Alfie will still wind up with 11.

Even if Cleary is back, and I do think that's big if, I have a feeling Alfie will still wind up with 11.

I think you're probably right. Alfredsson is probably only here for one, maybe two years. If Cleary comes back (at the reported 3 years from previous stories), he could always take his #11 back once Alfredsson leaves.

That said, I think Crymson is right. There's just no room on the roster (not to mention room under the cap) for Cleary.

Guest Crymson

That said, I think Crymson is right. There's just no room on the roster (not to mention room under the cap) for Cleary.

I wish Cleary would just give up and sign elsewhere already.

What's crazy to me is that the Captain of a team won't even have an A on our team now lol

I would think that's about the most perfect situation for him, then. After 14 years of captaincy, now he gets to come to a team that already has a well established leadership system, so he doesn't have to try and fulfill that role. Much less pressure on him, so he can just go out and play, and focus on performing in Babcock's system.

I would think that's about the most perfect situation for him, then. After 14 years of captaincy, now he gets to come to a team that already has a well established leadership system, so he doesn't have to try and fulfill that role. Much less pressure on him, so he can just go out and play, and focus on performing in Babcock's system.

I didn't even consider the pressure factor. Hopefully he'll have an above-average season.

Guest Crymson

i love how whoever made those images put alfy against the sens haha

That is NHL 14.