Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#201 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

This deal is a great fit for the Red Wings. It makes the team better in the short term and makes sense long term. While they need help at forward, this is such a lousy class of free agents that signing a good veteran player like Alfredsson to a 1-year contract opens the door for long term help next year with a free agent crop consisting of players like Kessel, Vanek, Gaborik, Sedin/Sedin, Bergeron, Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, etc. If even half of those players reach free agency, that will be a good group of forwards to choose from to bolster our offense. Much better than overpaying for long term contracts for players like Bozak, Clowe, Clarkson, etc.

#202 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hard to work my way through all the pages plus lazy... has anybody heard what the bonuses are for Alfie?

#203 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

My direct manager is a Sens fan, and I only found out today when he was walking around all pissed off. This next year will be a great one. For his birthday, Christmas, Easter and every other holiday I will get him hockey cards with Alfie in the Red Wings jersey :yahoo:

#204 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hard to work my way through all the pages plus lazy... has anybody heard what the bonuses are for Alfie?

Ya I would like to know... 50 goal season and a Stanley cup

#205 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

Other than Mon what hockey market is more under a microscope than Det?

Van? nope, Tor? Nope. Ott? nope. Win? Nope.

Uhh wat.. Vancouver and Toronto... Absolutely more of a microscope than Detroit

#206 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,340 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

Uhh wat.. Vancouver and Toronto... Absolutely more of a microscope than Detroit

Vancouver? Nah. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#207 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

I must confess this feels really weird.  Alfredsson WAS the Ottawa Senators.  I've just been over to their board and its sack-cloth and ashes time.  Imagine how we'd feel if a 40 year old Lidstrom had signed with the Kings because he felt he had a bettwe chance of a cup?

Seems bizarre reasoning to me, they're in a similar situation to us - 7/8 seed with some good kids coming through mixed with a few star players.  Are our chances of a cup really that much greater than the Sens?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#208 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

Seems bizarre reasoning to me, they're in a similar situation to us - 7/8 seed with some good kids coming through mixed with a few star players.  Are our chances of a cup really that much greater than the Sens?

This was my thought as well. I think there is something else going on that the public is not aware of.

#209 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

I think there is something else going on that the public is not aware of.

True story.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#210 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

Think about it this way: we were in similar situations when ott had alfredsson and we didn't. When you take him away from their lineup and add him to ours, we move ahead of them. I would consider us contenders, and I think ott is still a few years away

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#211 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

1. All of Ottawa now hates the Detroit Red Wings.

1.5. I've always liked the Sens, so *fingers crossed* for a bitter rivalry.

2. Hello, Eastern Conference!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#212 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

Vancouver? Nah. 

Vancouver destroys any market in the US.

Posted Image

#213 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,340 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:26 AM

Vancouver destroys any market in the US.

35016-Jennifer-Lawrence-oh-yeah-gif-2nLa

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#214 Sycsa

Sycsa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:58 AM

Reading some of the hate and rage targeted towards Alfredsson on the Ottawa board left me wondering. Would we have reacted the same way had Lidstrom pulled something like that?

#215 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,340 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:59 AM

Reading some of the hate and rage targeted towards Alfredsson on the Ottawa board left me wondering. Would we have reacted the same way had Lidstrom pulled something like that?

For the most part, Boston fans sure didn't react that way to Ray Bourque. 

#216 hak

hak

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

wow. i absolutely love this signing! he will be a great fit in detroit. 

this is awesome news. wings will be lethal next season

and i can't understand why people are whining about this. did you see alfredsson play last year? he was one of the best players on the ice. every day. he might not have gotten alot of points but his work ethic and hockey iq is off the charts

#217 mule

mule

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

- Great signing by Holland. Low risk / high reward. 

- I don't understand how Sens fans can claim they have as much of a chance at winning the cup than the Wings do. The sens were absolutely humiliated by the Pens in the second round who were in turn humiliated by the Bruins in the third round. The Sens are a LONG way from being true contenders. 

- With the addition of Weiss and Alfie and the growth of our kids I truly believe the Wings are a contender. Although I was impressed with the growth of our defence last season, I believe we are one top 3 defencemen away from being cup champions. 

- I can't wait to get an Alfredsson #11 Red Wings Jersey! Who better to sign than the Leafs fans most hated player. I haven't been this excited for the season since 2009.

#218 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

For the most part, Boston fans sure didn't react that way to Ray Bourque. 

I think its a different situation for Ray Bourgue/Alfi they both haven't won a cup so they have a reason for going to a competative team although I wouldn't put Alfi on our team and automatically consider WIngs contenders just yet. It wouldn't make much sense for Lidstrom who had already won cups with his team to move to another team there would probably a similar backlash due to this fact. I think Sens fans are pissed because he's moving to a team who in all likelyhood have similar chances as us to win the cup. Course who knows if they would still be pissed if he went Bos, Chi, LA, or any other team who have higher expectations.

Like others have mentioned there's something going on behind the scenes that Alfi wanted out of Ottawa.

#219 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

I must confess this feels really weird.  Alfredsson WAS the Ottawa Senators.  I've just been over to their board and its sack-cloth and ashes time.  Imagine how we'd feel if a 40 year old Lidstrom had signed with the Kings because he felt he had a bettwe chance of a cup?

I agree. It feels weird. I feel like we just stole someone's wife. There are many things I like about the deal and obviously Alfie's very, very hungry and motivated to win a Cup, which is certainly good for us, but it just feels awkward to me.

And on the bizarre reasoning, I can't help but think it has something to do with the Olympics coming up and all those Swedish guys we've got skating around out there. The regular season will be good practice. If he's going to leave to focus solely on making a run at the Cup, whether we're further along or not than Ottawa, I think it makes some sense that he'd want to do so in an environment like Detroit where he'll be playing with a lot of guys he'll be making an Olympic run with.

But still, this is sitting even weirder today than yesterday. Yesterday I was just as shocked as anyone and didn't really think much of it. Today, I'm thinking, selflessly for once, "are you sure you want to do this, Alfie? Can I call you 'Alfie?'"

-Elliot

#220 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Nah,don't get me wrong,Alfie's still a very good player,simply had to post that Alf picture for fun.

I hear yeah. I just had to re post it for more fun.