Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#221 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I agree. It feels weird. I feel like we just stole someone's wife. There are many things I like about the deal and obviously Alfie's very, very hungry and motivated to win a Cup, which is certainly good for us, but it just feels awkward to me.

That's called "The Brendan Shanahan Effect".

On the Alfie/Bourque comparisons, those we really different situations.  Alfie's leaving as a UFA where Bourque was traded at the deadline by a GM/organization that was trying to get him a Cup specifically.  

#222 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

That's called "The Brendan Shanahan Effect".

On the Alfie/Bourque comparisons, those we really different situations.  Alfie's leaving as a UFA where Bourque was traded at the deadline by a GM/organization that was trying to get him a Cup specifically.  

Yep, plus it brought a return to Boston. Alfie just walked leaving Ottawa with nothing. I don't know if I blame him, and I do get it. But it's still just very weird.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#223 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

True story.

I have some friends in Ottawa and the general thinking is that the Sens were pretty sure that Alfie was going to retire and it threw them for a bit of a loop when he said he was coming back. Their "internal" budget didn't allow for much and they made him a lowball offer which he considered somewhat of an insult, which was why he left. Apparently his people contacted Detroit, not the other way around.

#224 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

My gosh those NBC clowns.... ***** much? They sound like a bunch hysterical little girls.

I must confess this feels really weird.  Alfredsson WAS the Ottawa Senators.  I've just been over to their board and its sack-cloth and ashes time.  Imagine how we'd feel if a 40 year old Lidstrom had signed with the Kings because he felt he had a bettwe chance of a cup?

Seems bizarre reasoning to me, they're in a similar situation to us - 7/8 seed with some good kids coming through mixed with a few star players.  Are our chances of a cup really that much greater than the Sens?

I honestly would have understood if a 40 yr old cup less Lidstrom went to another team. I would have cheered him on.
Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#225 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Does anyone have information on what the bonuses will be based on exactly?
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#226 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

I have some friends in Ottawa and the general thinking is that the Sens were pretty sure that Alfie was going to retire and it threw them for a bit of a loop when he said he was coming back. Their "internal" budget didn't allow for much and they made him a lowball offer which he considered somewhat of an insult, which was why he left. Apparently his people contacted Detroit, not the other way around.

Pair this with never winning the cup and having the oppurtunity to play for a great franchise, one of the most dynamic centers in the game(Dats), and joining a puck possesion team full of your countrymen I can see the appeal those things had for Alfie. Sens fans are bitter now, but they should take a step back and get a grip. Saying he is greedy is freakin retarded, but I have seen a lot of them lash out with that charge.

You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#227 Nicholonio

Nicholonio

est. 1989, representin'.

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Love this signing so much. At first when I woke up yesterday it confused the hell out of me and I felt horrible that we just took Ottawa's longest-tenured captain, but after things settled in it made sense. He wants to win the Cup, so he comes here. Plain and simple. Love how he still believes in our organization. Hopefully more of the "vets" or younger guys see this and think the same way. Plus it's one year so if he does choose to retire or not, we can go after someone else next off-season where the talent is even better.

#228 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Because of this move, once the post-season is upon us i can see Zdawg having a unreal playoffs. Alfie hasnt won yet, and his fellow swedish friend will do what he can to change that. I do believe this will give zetterberg a extra spark this year though

#229 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Because of this move, once the post-season is upon us i can see Zdawg having a unreal playoffs. Alfie hasnt won yet, and his fellow swedish friend will do what he can to change that. I do believe this will give zetterberg a extra spark this year though

I like this thought especially if it pushes all the swedes... Especially Franzen!

#230 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Alfie is going to be a beast.

#231 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Alfie is going to be a beast.

Possibly.

As long as the injury bug doesn't do him in.

#232 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

I cannot believe Alfie left O-Town. However even though he's 40 this excites me. It's a one year deal so the positives outweigh the negatives! I think he'll provide a decent "spark".

Posted Image

#233 mule

mule

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Probably my favourite Alfie highlight! Tucker was such a weasel. Can't wait to wear my Wings Alfredsson jersey around leaf fans.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GHbj53fZx2Y

#234 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

I feel bad for most Sens fans here, but I can't help but chuckle a bit at some of their reactions, saying how Alfredsson went to a "2nd tier team", how Ottawa has a much better shot at winning, ect. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#235 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

If Alfie and Cleary both sign, I wonder who gets number 11? My guess would be Cleary since he's been so long. Also Weiss wears number 9 so I wonder what he switches to.

#236 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

If Alfie and Cleary both sign, I wonder who gets number 11? My guess would be Cleary since he's been so long. Also Weiss wears number 9 so I wonder what he switches to.

Cleary will be 11
Alfredsson will be 15
Andersson will be 18
Jurco will be 28 (if they dont make him wear a high #)

#237 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Cleary should wear some joke number, in significance of his place on the team.  

Maybe 69.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#238 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Pair this with never winning the cup and having the oppurtunity to play for a great franchise, one of the most dynamic centers in the game(Dats), and joining a puck possesion team full of your countrymen I can see the appeal those things had for Alfie. Sens fans are bitter now, but they should take a step back and get a grip. Saying he is greedy is freakin retarded, but I have seen a lot of them lash out with that charge.

It isn't like he left the Florida Panthers for Boston or Chicago. Like it or not, the Wings just aren't major cup contenders. They have a chance, but Ottawa had a decent team and they made it to the exact same place in the playoffs as the Wings did. If he was truly leaving for a chance to get the Cup, I don't think he would have chose Detroit.

#239 amberlynn25

amberlynn25

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I find it pretty classy for them. I mean he was with them for 17 years.

Splash-Alfie-thanku.jpg

I get up every day, and I live. Everybody says you should live to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close that you're not worried about anything else but being alive."~ Jiri Fischer
my heart belongs to a canadian!

#240 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Very classy by the Sens organization and I am still in shock and honored that he came here.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1