Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#241 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

IF the Wings sign Cleary, he seems to be the kinda guy will will ask Babs for a new number so that Alfie can wear 11. Time will tell what happens. 

#242 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:04 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...gotiations.html

Also, Cleary would most definitely give up #11.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#243 Shutemdown

Shutemdown

Instigator

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Loving this signing so far...

Always loved D. Alfredsson, always will. He is a true competitor, a natural leader who is soft-spoken and leads by example. He's a proven scorer and playmaker who has shown consistency throughout the majority of his career. He's used to the Eastern Conference. This signing makes total sense.

He strikes me as a mix between Drapes and Dallas Drake. Quick, hard working, driven, and able to lead through example and heart.

For all those out there that say our young guys should be ready to play and given the chance, realize that even one year with someone like Alfie on the team can work WONDERS for our younger core. The man is a living legend.

Watching videos about him on youtube right now, and it makes me even more excited. The man is a machine.

#244 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

It isn't like he left the Florida Panthers for Boston or Chicago. Like it or not, the Wings just aren't major cup contenders. They have a chance, but Ottawa had a decent team and they made it to the exact same place in the playoffs as the Wings did. If he was truly leaving for a chance to get the Cup, I don't think he would have chose Detroit.

That is not exactly a fair comparison, the Sens got beat in 5 games by the Pens, who then got swept in the ECF by the Bruins, who lost in 6 games to the Hawks.

The Wings got beat, in overtime, in game 7 by a team that then won the WCF in 5 and then beat the Bruins in 6. 

Those are dramatically different situations.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#245 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

For the record, we're much better than the Senators.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#246 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

As much as I want to agree with you on that I can't.

Not until the season gets under way.

#247 NAVYWING

NAVYWING

Classy Guy!!!!

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

I also don't agree with you.  I feel that Chicago, much like the 2002 Wings vs. Vancouver, didn't take their opposition as seriously as they should have.  The Sens are on the rise, and Detroit is going to have their hands full in the Division they are slated to goto.  That aside, I just hope Alfie can play those serious minutes he was required to with the Sens.  If he pans out like Modano, we are really up $h@! creek, and we will analyze the crap out of how we handled resigning Brunner.  This upcomming season aside, if the cap does in fact go back up and we shed Alfie, Bert and Sammy, the following free-agency and the maturity of our youth will set the Wings up for success for 2014-2015.  I also feel that Holland felt it was necessary to bring in some Eastern Conference regulars to help with the transition (ie. Alfie and Weiss). 

"We were one of the teams that had the least amount of fights last year. You don't want your best players fighting. But Brendan was certainly a physical presence. Playing on Pavel Datsyuk's line, he obviously created some space for Pavel. That's something we're going to have to monitor," said Ken Holland.

Ugh.

#248 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

I also don't agree with you.  I feel that Chicago, much like the 2002 Wings vs. Vancouver, didn't take their opposition as seriously as they should have.  The Sens are on the rise, and Detroit is going to have their hands full in the Division they are slated to goto.  That aside, I just hope Alfie can play those serious minutes he was required to with the Sens.  If he pans out like Modano, we are really up $h@! creek, and we will analyze the crap out of how we handled resigning Brunner.  This upcomming season aside, if the cap does in fact go back up and we shed Alfie, Bert and Sammy, the following free-agency and the maturity of our youth will set the Wings up for success for 2014-2015.  I also feel that Holland felt it was necessary to bring in some Eastern Conference regulars to help with the transition (ie. Alfie and Weiss). 

Sorry but the division we're coming from is 10x harder to play in than the division we're going to and if Alfredsson turns out like Modano, then be glad it's a one year contract and his bonuses are paid out only if he plays 10 games. Other than that, we can find much better options for scoring than Brunner next offseason when Alfredsson comes off the books. The FA class is loaded.

Posted Image

#249 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Our new division is going to be a cakewalk compared to the Central.  Isn't the Central the most competitive division in the league?

The only consistently bad team we had to deal with was Columbus, and even they learned how to play last season.  Now we'll have both Tampa and Florida and Toronto and Buffalo?  I imagine it'll play out like this: 

Boston, Detroit, and one of Montreal or Ottawa will be strong.  I'm really excited.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#250 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

A lot of non-Detroit fans I talked to kind of snickered at the Alfredsson signing, and that's confusing to me.  To me, the guy is ageless like Selanne.  He won't have quite the scoring impact that Selanne has had in his 40's, but he has leadership qualities and experience that will mean a ton to this locker room.  You think the players on this team (especially the Swedes) will ever quit knowing that there's a living legend on their team who came here for basically one final crack at a Stanley Cup.  It may not work, but what's not to like? 

This is the type of move that almost seems matter-of-fact in the offseason (because he's old and it's short-term), but when October rolls around, I know I'll be having that "holy crap, Daniel Alfredsson plays for the Red Wings" moment.  It's gonna be awesome to have him in that sweater.

#251 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

A lot of non-Detroit fans I talked to kind of snickered at the Alfredsson signing, and that's confusing to me.  To me, the guy is ageless like Selanne.  He won't have quite the scoring impact that Selanne has had in his 40's, but he has leadership qualities and experience that will mean a ton to this locker room.  You think the players on this team (especially the Swedes) will ever quit knowing that there's a living legend on their team who came here for basically one final crack at a Stanley Cup.  It may not work, but what's not to like? 

This is the type of move that almost seems matter-of-fact in the offseason (because he's old and it's short-term), but when October rolls around, I know I'll be having that "holy crap, Daniel Alfredsson plays for the Red Wings" moment.  It's gonna be awesome to have him in that sweater.

true, but in a way somewhat debatable. He should do pretty good with us. 

Posted Image

#252 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I feel that the Wings are better than Ottawa right now, and are contenders in the East. I also think that adding a top 2-4 defenseman will put them over the top and make them favorites, but I doubt that happens. For now we'll see how Smith, Kindl and DeKeyser play until the trade deadline.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 10 July 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#253 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,284 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

So what number will he be taking in the event that Cleary comes back? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#254 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I don't really get the Modano comparisons. I get the age comparisons, leaving their lifelong teams, etc... but really, Modano had a freak accident. He was jumping onto the team as the 3rd line center, and things just sort of fell apart. Alfie's going to be on that 2nd line and given ample time on the PP. I feel like 50-60 points and a healthy season is a real possibility. 

#255 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I don't really get the Modano comparisons. I get the age comparisons, leaving their lifelong teams, etc... but really, Modano had a freak accident. He was jumping onto the team as the 3rd line center, and things just sort of fell apart. Alfie's going to be on that 2nd line and given ample time on the PP. I feel like 50-60 points and a healthy season is a real possibility. 

I just want more than Brunner. Thats what Fredo needs to do.,

#256 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

So what number will he be taking in the event that Cleary comes back? 

Can't find anything regarding that yet.  Alfie is the only Wings roster member with no number assigned on the Roster page on the Wings website.  Probably because he's waiting to see if Cleary comes back.  If Cleary's gone, then Alfredsson will take #11, pretty much guaranteed.

If Danny returns, who knows?  I was thinking #21 would be fitting, but that's already claimed by Tatar...

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#257 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Can't find anything regarding that yet.  Alfie is the only Wings roster member with no number assigned on the Roster page on the Wings website.  Probably because he's waiting to see if Cleary comes back.  If Cleary's gone, then Alfredsson will take #11, pretty much guaranteed.

If Danny returns, who knows?  I was thinking #21 would be fitting, but that's already claimed by Tatar...

Even if Cleary is back, and I do think that's big if, I have a feeling Alfie will still wind up with 11.

#258 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:04 AM

It's a virtual certainty that Cleary won't be back.

#259 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Even if Cleary is back, and I do think that's big if, I have a feeling Alfie will still wind up with 11.

I think you're probably right.  Alfredsson is probably only here for one, maybe two years.  If Cleary comes back (at the reported 3 years from previous stories), he could always take his #11 back once Alfredsson leaves.

That said, I think Crymson is right.  There's just no room on the roster (not to mention room under the cap) for Cleary.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#260 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

That said, I think Crymson is right.  There's just no room on the roster (not to mention room under the cap) for Cleary.

I wish Cleary would just give up and sign elsewhere already.