Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#261 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Cleary wont care what number he wears.

#262 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

What's crazy to me is that the Captain of a team won't even have an A on our team now lol

#263 Jedi

Jedi

Galmar Stone-Fist. Stormcloak. Wings Fan.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,783 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

What's crazy to me is that the Captain of a team won't even have an A on our team now lol

I would think that's about the most perfect situation for him, then.  After 14 years of captaincy, now he gets to come to a team that already has a well established leadership system, so he doesn't have to try and fulfill that role.  Much less pressure on him, so he can just go out and play, and focus on performing in Babcock's system.

2cwlto0.jpg

#264 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

I would think that's about the most perfect situation for him, then.  After 14 years of captaincy, now he gets to come to a team that already has a well established leadership system, so he doesn't have to try and fulfill that role.  Much less pressure on him, so he can just go out and play, and focus on performing in Babcock's system.

I didn't even consider the pressure factor. Hopefully he'll have an above-average season.

#265 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Unlike Parise and Suter, Alfie will be heading to a team with strong leadership and more than 4 "good" players.  He's probably pretty ok with that. 

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#266 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Still very glad to see that he's here. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#267 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

I think not being captain and focusing on his game could very well have been the main reason for him to leave Ottawa.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#268 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

I think not being captain and focusing on his game could very well have been the main reason for him to leave Ottawa.

Combined with the fact that Detroit has a winning culture, something Ottawa isn't used to. 

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#269 Andrew Hasek 1986

Andrew Hasek 1986

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

How long does it take to get issued a Number? Since it's highly unlucky do to being over the Cap that we won't be able to Sign Clearly #11 and the fact he's not even on the team anymore and is a Free Agent. That you would think 11 would go to him. 

#270 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

11 is Fredo's if he wants it.

#271 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Alfie's a Wing. Yep. 

#272 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

DanielAlfredssonDetroitRedW.gif

#273 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

i love how whoever made those images put alfy against the sens haha

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#274 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

i love how whoever made those images put alfy against the sens haha

That is NHL 14.

#275 DatsyukDangles13

DatsyukDangles13

Prospect

• 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Alfredsson will be around 50 points this season.  He is slowing down a bit, but he has the heart.  I'm just shocked still he ditched the Sens.

Follow my friend and I on a 90 day road trip to 60 sports games!  Check out the website http://www.thebandwagoners.com.

Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/Band_Wagoners and like us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bwagoners

#276 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

With the superb coaching and dark horse play from the Sens, it amazes they're management can't put together an exceptional team. I understand why he's here. We A+ everything. That many years there was enough

#277 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

That is NHL 14.

Yeah, I figured.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#278 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

http://www.faceoff.c...1520/story.html

Melnyk said the team wouldn’t have been able to afford a player the calibre of Bobby Ryan — the Anaheim Ducks’ star forward the team dealt for hours after learning Alfredsson would sign elsewhere — and met the numbers put forward by Alfredsson’s camp.

“You can’t have it both ways and say, ‘Well I want this for me, but I want you to do this with me and the team.’ It’s ‘which one do you want?’”

Melnyk says he eventually told general manager Bryan Murray: “We won’t be able to spend that kind of money, so don’t promise that we’re going to bring anybody else in other than filling a hole that was there.”

"And at the end, when I said blank cheque, that would have meant we would not have gotten the (Bobby Ryan-type player). Couldn’t afford it. Just couldn’t do it."

The Senators are operating under an internal player salary budget of just over $50 million (the NHL salary cap currently sits at just over $64 million). It has $50.8 million in salary committed already, according to CapGeek.com, with young restricted free agent defenceman Jared Cowen still to sign.

The Senators’ budget is a necessary move, Melnyk insisted, because of the razor-thin margins his team operates under. 

and we had Bryan Murray claiming he told Alfie he was going to swing the deal for Bobby Ryan as well as give Alfie a blank check...

Edited by jeff48109, 10 August 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#279 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Alfredsson will be around 50 points this season.  He is slowing down a bit, but he has the heart.  I'm just shocked still he ditched the Sens. 

If it is going to be at or around 50 points, I like 24 goals and 30 assists. 

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 10 August 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#280 Andrew Hasek 1986

Andrew Hasek 1986

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Does he have a number yet? What's taking him so long to pick and wear his old number 11?