Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#341 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm guessing even if Alfredsson had his Wings jersey, he wouldn't wear it to a practice skate in the Sensplex with his old teammates.  That would likely be seen as rubbing everyone's nose in it. 

No matter what jersey he wore, it was going to get attention.  

yeah but wearing a jersey of a team you just left on somewhat bad terms is sort of bad form to me. he could've easily worn something else not related to any team. but I really don't care either way but I can see why some have gotten mad about it. he is a wing and I can't wait to see him play here.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#342 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Alright. So. Question: Is it kinda weird that Ken Holland did this? Of, if you like, ...*is responsible* for this?

Like, we all had him pinned as Mr. Nice Guy. Would never dare offer sheet an RFA, and would probably say about an Alfie situation, "You know, we just figured it wouldn't be right to stir someone else's pot like that" (or whatever).

And then he just sneaks in behind Ottawa's back, all Solid Snake-like, and he's all like, "Psst. Alfie. Over here. I have caaandyyyy." And, well, Alfie loves him some candy...

Is it wrong?
Is Ken Holland secretly a badass?
Is he following this drama that's unfolding in Ottawa with perverted glee?
When he looks at himself in the mirror, does he say, "Yeah, I'm pretty much amazing"?

He was a UFA. He was having problems getting a new deal so a call was made. Nothing sneaky about it.

The reason RFA guys don't usually get offer sheets is because the team almost always matches.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#343 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'm guessing even if Alfredsson had his Wings jersey, he wouldn't wear it to a practice skate in the Sensplex with his old teammates.  That would likely be seen as rubbing everyone's nose in it. 

No matter what jersey he wore, it was going to get attention.  

This.

He wanted to skate with his old pals, he played in Ottawa his whole career it's all he knows. It's not even training camp yet, let him skate around with his buddies, he was a senator for years, I have a shirt I still wear from a job I quit, people blow everything out of proportion sometimes. I guess it's bound to happen in the off season when there's nothing else to do

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#344 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

To me it's not too surprising to see the Sens losing money. They're a team that's never really done much, that's also sandwiched between the Leafs and the Wings geographically, AKA two of the most popular franchises.... Especially of that region

Ummm, by Detroit, do you mean Montreal?  Otherwise, I think you should consult a map.

#345 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,421 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

No issue with what he did. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#346 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

No issue with what he did. 

to you...

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#347 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Apparently, a doofus named Don Brenner at the Ottawa Sun thinks he's being funny showing his butthurt by calling Detroit "Detoilet" and saying that Alfredsson's children are going to be mugged outside Joe Louis Arena. 

Ottawa does not take being butthurt well. When Mike Fisher was traded Nashville so he could be with Carrie Underwood, stations boycotted her music. 

Edited by WingsAlways, 21 August 2013 - 04:45 PM.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#348 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,421 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

Ottawa does not take being butthurt well. When Mike Fisher was traded Nashville so he could be with Carrie Underwood, stations boycotted her music. 

I remember that well. They also accused her of influencing the trade. 

Gee, I wonder why a player who was going to be traded would want to be near his country superstar wife in Nashville, home of a team that (at the time) was a serious threat. 

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#349 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Past history between General Managers...hmmmm?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#350 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

Rumo(u)r has it "Alfie" sneezed in public, on a crowded street in Ottawa, and no one said, "(God) bless you." When asked about it, a few of the people who'd been there said, "Well, he didn't say, 'excuse me.'" For his part, Eugene Melynk defended General Manager Bryan Murray, saying, "I know Bryan. We work together. He wouldn't lie about this." Which is interesting because Murray hadn't said anything about the incident.

• Nev likes this

Don't Toews me, bro!

#351 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Rumo(u)r has it "Alfie" sneezed in public, on a crowded street in Ottawa, and no one said, "(God) bless you." When asked about it, a few of the people who'd been there said, "Well, he didn't say, 'excuse me.'" For his part, Eugene Melynk defended General Manager Bryan Murray, saying, "I know Bryan. We work together. He wouldn't lie about this." Which is interesting because Murray hadn't said anything about the incident.

Apparently after that he forgot to use his turn signal when switching lanes. Everyone is outraged, and Melnyk sais "it goes to show what kind of guy he really is, he has complete disregard for the human race!"

#352 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,421 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

Boy, I don't remember Boston going this crazy for Ray Bourque wanting to win a Cup before he retired. 

#353 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

Didn't Bourque get dealt to the Avs at the trade deadline? Or am I remembering it wrong?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#354 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:50 PM

Didn't Bourque get dealt to the Avs at the trade deadline? Or am I remembering it wrong?

No, you're right there.  The only similarity one might be able to strike between the two is that of course Bourque requested to be moved, but that's really as far as the similarities go.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#355 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

Borque also went to a team significantly better than Boston, not a team that finished with a similar record the year before.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#356 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Does Alfie have a number yet? Or are we just to assume he'll wear #11

#357 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

I'm sorry, but, like I said in the new enemies thread, this whole "Similar record" business smells.

The Red Wings are the Red Wings. The Senators are...the Senators. I mean, bless their hearts - but what have they ever done? "Well, this one time they almost won the Cup." OK, great, they almost won the Cup once. My point stands.

Even last year - they got torched by a Penguins team which was absolutely destroyed by a Bruins team which was beaten decisively and definitively by a Blackhawks team which we had had on the ropes, 3-1 (before we forgot how to play hockey, which, admittedly, is a problem with us).

And that was without Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart. And, for the most part, DeKeyser. We were a team "in transition" (or, "reloading"), not a team that was looking about as "stacked" as ever (see: the Sens).

Maybe the Sens finish above us this year. I highly, highly doubt it, though. And you can bet it wasn't just the money (or the Swedes) that Alfie had in mind when he signed here.

Edited by Dabura, 24 August 2013 - 02:49 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#358 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Boy, I don't remember Boston going this crazy for Ray Bourque wanting to win a Cup before he retired. 

Not only did they not go crazy, they fully supported their captain!  I remember seeing Bourque fans wearing half Boston, half Colorado jerseys in support of his quest for the Cup.

mm-wm13-001gh.gif

True, these are different situations, but it kind of sucks that fans are harshing on their longtime captain like they are.

I personally would have supported Stevie if this were an alternate universe where the Wings could not win a Cup (or win that much in general) and he left to spend his last season with a team that had a legitimate shot.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#359 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,166 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

995915_10152997493825578_7500845_n.jpg

I personally would have supported Stevie if this were an alternate universe where the Wings could not win a Cup (or win that much in general) and he left to spend his last season with a team that had a legitimate shot.

My impression is that Sens fans feel their shot is just as legitimate as ours.

Something no one's talking about: he picked the Wings over the Bruins.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#360 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

995915_10152997493825578_7500845_n.jpg

My impression is that Sens fans feel their shot is just as legitimate as ours.

Something no one's talking about: he picked the Wings over the Bruins.

I miss Lids :(