Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#21 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Worse things could have happened. Glad it's only 1 year.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#22 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Must mean we are not getting a C and have to keep Z on the 2nd line, now maybe with Alfie.  Put Franzen on that line for an all-Swede line.

#23 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,526 posts

Only 1 yr deal, why all the whining?

Because thats the status quo here on LGW =)

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#24 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Holland simply doesn't learn. Wish I could say I don't believe it, but completely expected from the guy who ran after Modano, Sammy, and Jagr.

40 years old and will have to adopt to a brand new system and style of play

All thats left now is Clearly and that will be our free agent splash.

New system and style of play? The stache has been in Ottawa for two years now. I don't watch much of their games, but I bet he's incorporated a significant amount of Babcock's system into that team. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#25 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Only 1 yr deal, why all the whining?

because any move holland makes is bad and any move he misses would have been great, duh :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#26 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, the big difference with Modano is that he had a reputation as a floater for a few years before he came to us.  Alfredsson, while old, still has game.

EDIT: As discussed in the other thread, the problem most people have with this signing is the money (rumored to be around $6 million), and the possibility that he is our big free agent acquisition this summer.  I don't think most of us actively don't want him here in any form.  But with all the talent we're losing, people are worried he isn't going to make that much of a difference.  We are still where we were a few weeks ago, and need help offensively.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#27 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

TSNBobMcKenzie: Expectation is Alfredsson will go to DET. Since he's 35+ player, base salary likely in $3.5M range with bonuses taking it up to $5M total.

Great deal.  His bonuses would count against next years cap.

Posted Image

#28 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

I don't see the downside here.

I agree, there isn't really a downside, 1 year deal, bad year he's going to get 20 goals I think..good year he might get 30..low risk..high reward.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#29 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Love this signing. He still puts up about 20 goals and its a 1 yr deal. Forces the kids to earn their top six minutes, while not taking away a roster spot for them (only from sammy and bert). Good insurance if brunner walks. Low risk with a potential high reward. Hard to hate this, unless you are just looking to hate on Holland for not breaking the bank of this absurd FA class. Not saying Holland has been perfect (not even close) but he hasn't been brazen and dumb either, just consistent. 

At this point Brunner will be our only option for a top 6 scorer.

Guess we'll see how much he's getting.

Well at that price for his age I don't like it.  His bonuses better be  something that he'll have to actually work for.

Edited by fixxxer, 05 July 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#30 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

I wouldn't mind this deal at all if A.) We'd already re-signed Brunner and B.) we'd been able to unload Sammy.

I won't hate this deal as long as we don't re-sign Cleary. I will hate everything if we don't re-sign Brunner.

I don't know if any if these things are related, but I have feels and it makes sense in my head right now.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#31 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

TSNBobMcKenzie: Expectation is Alfredsson will go to DET. Since he's 35+ player, base salary likely in $3.5M range with bonuses taking it up to $5M total.

Great deal.  His bonuses would count against next years cap.

That way he maybe gone, but the mistake will still linger!

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm somewhat surprised by all the negativity here. I mean, I loathe Holland's veteran fetish as much as the next guy, but there's a lot to like about this deal. Or, ok, maybe not a lot, but it's not like this makes absolutely no sense and will only rob a kid of a spot and Dear-God-will-someone-please-think-of-the-children etc.

He's coming here to win a Cup. He's Dallas Drake Version 2.0.

Plus, I've gotta think this means Cleary is gone.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

I agree, there isn't really a downside, 1 year deal, bad year he's going to get 20 goals I think..good year he might get 30..low risk..high reward.

I just read that his contract won't be for $6 million, but for 3.5 which is way more appropriate. I really like this signing for that price.  But I don't think he'll get 30.  He is slightly declining, and add in a new system and teammates, and the fact that usually our veteran signings don't do as well offensively as they used to, I'm betting he nails 20 goals, 25 if we're lucky.

But I feel a lot better about this signing, and am actually excited about it for 3.5 million.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Okay, and? Have you looked at his stats? The way he is declining hes probably not going to repeat those stats. 

So what he gets downgraded to the # 6 scorer?

You claim that there are youngsters lined up to take his spot, but all of them are unproven, even Nyquist and Tatar did well in less than a half season.

None of the youngsters we (myself included) are all excited about have played a full season in the NHL, plus they are all headed for the dreaded Sophomore slump.

And I am looking at his stats, he has scored 20 goals every year except for a 47 and a 57 game seasons.

He has been a minus twice in his entire career.

In his last full season (2011-2012) he put up 27 32 with a plus 16.

So my question to you would be who's stats are you looking at that make you think a youngster should take his spot?

Which was your original statement!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#35 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

I wouldn't mind this deal at all if A.) We'd already re-signed Brunner and B.) we'd been able to unload Sammy.

I won't hate this deal as long as we don't re-sign Cleary. I will hate everything if we don't re-sign Brunner.

I don't know if any if these things are related, but I have feels and it makes sense in my head right now.

Agreed

#36 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I lurve this post.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#37 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

LOL well said

#38 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

IF and I stress IF this is the replacement for Cleary and there's still another signing on the way then I'm OK with it.

OK with it is about as good you can get with Holland and free agents.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#39 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'm somewhat surprised by all the negativity here. I mean, I loathe Holland's veteran fetish as much as the next guy, but there's a lot to like about this deal. Or, ok, maybe not a lot, but it's not like this makes absolutely no sense and will only rob a kid of a spot and Dear-God-will-someone-please-think-of-the-children etc.

He's coming here to win a Cup. He's Dallas Drake Version 2.0.

Plus, I've gotta think this means Cleary is gone.

There's two things at work here - there's the idea itself of Alfredsson being a Wing for a year, which I think is AWESOME.  But there's also the idea of what it means.  If it's simply swapping #11's and letting Cleary go, so be it.  But Alfredsson costs a little more, and if this deal means that they can't retain Brunner (or don't find a decently priced 2nd line center), then that could be a net negative.

Alfredsson, even more than Iginla, always seemed like a natural fit for the Red Wings some day.  This really is the "IKEA Red Wings" now!

#40 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

If Alfredsson is the start of a big summer, it's going to be a good one.  If he is the end, next season is going to be every bit of the slog last was.