Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#101 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Dallas and Detroit pursuing Cleary. Hopefully Dallas takes him. Thanks again, Nill.

Brunner hitting market, anyone besides us expressing interest?

Ribiero deal is ridiculous overpayment. Glad we get Alfie over him. 

Reports on the Ducks being in the mix for Cleary now too

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#102 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

This is Holland's move? Seriously?
IPB Image

#103 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Dallas will be an almost entirely new team next season. Crazy. Nill doesn't waste time, does he?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#104 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Reports on the Ducks being in the mix for Cleary now too

I love the thought of Alfredsson for Cleary hate it if its Alfredsson for Brunner.

I can live with Alfredsson, Weiss and Brunner as our signings if that's what plays out.

RedWing fan behind enemy lines

#105 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I love the thought of Alfredsson for Cleary hate it if its Alfredsson for Brunner.

I can live with Alfredsson, Weiss and Brunner as our signings if that's what plays out.

Agree on the first point, Brunner signing >>> Alfredson. On the second point, the Wings don't have the space to sign all three, Wings have 3 must sign RFAs.

#106 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

And he's done for the offseason. We like our team
IPB Image

#107 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

So other than the obvious troll post, where do you get that idea when the Wings are clearly in the mix for Weiss and Brunner?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#108 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

You don't go out and take a a team icon out of retiring with there team he has played 14 years for unless you intend on giving them something they have never had.....a cup! Kenny isant done.

#109 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Kenny is done, he needs to sign Smith, Nyquest and Anderson, that's at least 6 million in cap space gone. The Wings have 7.5 left after signing Alfie. Unless a trade occurs, no Weiss, no Brunner, no Flipulla.

#110 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Kenny is done, he needs to sign Smith, Nyquest and Anderson, that's at least 6 million in cap space gone. The Wings have 7.5 left after signing Alfie. Unless a trade occurs, no Weiss, no Brunner, no Flipulla.

No way they are worth 2 million together, let alone a piece.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#111 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Nill says the Stars don't want Cleary.  Well we know where the brains of the organization went.

#112 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

40 yr old alfredsson , 38 yr old bertuzzi , wasted of space samuelsson , a ton of bottom 6 forwards

oh boy , holland better hope he can find teams to trade with gotta think eaves and emmerton is gone ... seems like its gonna be a long year , im almost expecting holland to trade tatar at this point

Nill says the Stars don't want Cleary.  Well we know where the brains of the organization went.

we kept the wrong gm , nill was the real mastermind

#113 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Flip, IMO, was out of the mix a while ago.

Brunner wanting to test the market (Note: NOT Holland not offering him anything) and if the Wings sign someone while he makes up his mind, he is not yet the type of talent you wait around for.

There is plenty of room, as well as plenty of assets to trade.

They just won the Calder cup, other teams will want some of those prospects.

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#114 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

40 yr old alfredsson , 38 yr old bertuzzi , wasted of space samuelsson , a ton of bottom 6 forwards

oh boy , holland better hope he can find teams to trade with gotta think eaves and emmerton is gone ... seems like its gonna be a long year , im almost expecting holland to trade tatar at this point

we kept the wrong gm , nill was the real mastermind

a little early to make a call like that don't you think?

#115 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

a little early to make a call like that don't you think?

How long have you posted on LGW? hahahaha

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#116 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

All of you call Nill the real mastermind, were you in the room when the Wings Brass made these decisions?

As I said in another thread:

Did  Nill want Brunner and Holland did not?

Did Holland want Sammy and Nill did not?

Because to me it seems like the org as a whole is in on all decisions, I just don't see how some of these moves are all on Holland and some are all on Nill.

To me it seems like people are arbitrarily assigning blame and credit! 

#117 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Disagree, we have more than 7.5 after Alfie, and you are boosting the value of our RFA pool cost. We can still fit Brunner and Weiss under the cap with who we have. A trade would free

up funds to solidify the defense IMO.

RedWing fan behind enemy lines

#118 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

No way they are worth 2 million together, let alone a piece.

Nyquist and Andersson will get something in the neighborhood of $875,000 apiece. I'd wager that Smith might get something like $1.1 mil.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#119 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

How long have you posted on LGW? hahahaha

to long possibly lol

#120 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

They actually have 9.5 mil in space, and Smith, Nyquist, and Andersson all together will likely not cost anything more than 4 mil to retain.  That leaves enough room for Weiss, since it looks like we are battling Cap constrained St. Louis for his services.  And, with a little creativity in contracts and moves, Holland can probably make room for Brunner.

If they can ink Weiss, and that is a big if, the worst case scenario is that we have traded a 27 year old who has some question marks for a 30 year old proven 2nd line center and added and experienced winger for the year.  Best case, we keep Brunner.

But, I do agree that if Alfie is the only signing, it will be disappointing.