Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#121 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

All of you call Nill the real mastermind, were you in the room when the Wings Brass made these decisions?

As I said in another thread:

Did  Nill want Brunner and Holland did not?

Did Holland want Sammy and Nill did not?

Because to me it seems like the org as a whole is in on all decisions, I just don't see how some of these moves are all on Holland and some are all on Nill.

To me it seems like people are arbitrarily assigning blame and credit! 

Well, just basing it on the last day or so, Nill traded a Swede and added an established player still only 21 and a cheap, defensively responsible center in Peverley for prospects.  I can't remember Holland making any trade such as this.

#122 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Wings think they'll get Weiss, but are concerned Blues might outbid them in the end.

— Ansar Khan (@AnsarKhanMLive) July 5, 2013

If the Blues outbid the wings for Weiss, I would give Alex Pietrangelo a qualifying offer.  Holland, however, is unlikely to do that.

Edited by whitey, 05 July 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#123 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

At least we aren't Toronto. What the hell are they doing today??

Posted Image

#124 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Another short term fix, that will not address our need to get bigger and stronger. Waste of $$$ in my opinion.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#125 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Wonder how much moving to the East drew him in. I doubt he would have come to a western team.

#126 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Bozak, McLaren, and looks like Clarkson. Other than McLaren, the other deals don't look great.

#127 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Another short term fix, that will not address our need to get bigger and stronger. Waste of $$$ in my opinion.

The best thing about a short term fix is its short term. Get him for a season and hope for better FA's next year. If it works out then good its better than having they money sit.

#128 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Well, just basing it on the last day or so, Nill traded a Swede and added an established player still only 21 and a cheap, defensively responsible center in Peverley for prospects.  I can't remember Holland making any trade such as this.

So you do not like Swedes on teams, are you using that for your argument?????

Nill traded and All-star would have been a bit better way to start that, however that doesn't suit your argument as much does it?

That 21 yr old reportedly has off ice/maturity issues, and Rich Peverly is not exactly lighting the world on fire.

And that Swede has 4 times put up > 70 point seasons and was on pace for 60 last season.

Seguin stock has done nothing but go down in Boston, maybe that is part of the environment, maybe that is all on Seguin.

But Seguin has had one season that was as good as Ericsson's worst season.

Lets not judge Nill as some awesome NHL GM, until the regular season starts, heck lets even wait until he has a season or two under his belt.

Remember the should have kept Yzerman over Holland posts, everyone still want Yzerman over Holland as a GM?

Edited by Opie, 05 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#129 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

DET closing in on Stephen Weiss.

FYI

The best thing about a short term fix is its short term. Get him for a season and hope for better FA's next year. If it works out then good its better than having they money sit.

Agree, UFA pool is deeper next year.

#130 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Look at the list of FAs next year, this one year deal is going to look great rather than spending more money for more term on someone who won't match what could be available next season. Not to mention we'll have some more of our young guys ready to move up.

Posted Image

#131 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

there's no long term fix that addresses getting bigger and stronger among the free agents. would have wasted $$$ on them

#132 Kronstantinov

Kronstantinov

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

5.5 for a 40 year old who was on pace(over 82 games) for less than 20 goals and less than 50 points while playing more than all Wings forwards other than Datsyuk and Zetterberg. 

Edited by Kronstantinov, 05 July 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#133 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Signing David Clarkson.  I'd rather have him than Alfie

#134 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

5.5 for a 40 year old who was on pace(over 82 games) for less than 20 goals and less than 50 points while playing more than all Wings forwards other than Datsyuk and Zetterberg. 

3.5 (2 in bonuses, if he reaches them)

Reading is overrated!

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#135 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hey, isn't this the same price for Vinnie? Oh wait...
IPB Image

#136 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

there's no long term fix that addresses getting bigger and stronger among the free agents. would have wasted $$$ on them

I disagree, Clarkson, Clowe or even Lecavalier would have addressed this to some extent.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#137 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

For 7 years at over $5mil? f*** that.

Posted Image

#138 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

I disagree, Clarkson, Clowe or even Lecavalier would have addressed this to some extent.

Have you seen the contracts?

#139 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Hey, isn't this the same price for Vinnie? Oh wait...

NO, actually it is no where near it.

Vinny's contract is actually worth 4.5 a year for 5 years!!!

While Alfie is 3.5 for 1 year!

#140 Kronstantinov

Kronstantinov

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

3.5 (2 in bonuses, if he reaches them)

Reading is overrated!

They will still be on the hook for the 2 in bonuses and they are probably very easy to reach.