Photo
- - - - -

Wings sign Alfredsson to 1-year, $3.5m deal (+$2m bonuses)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#141 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

They will still be on the hook for the 2 in bonuses and they are probably very easy to reach.

And then they can defer them to next year's salary. It doesn't effect this season.

Posted Image

#142 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Signing David Clarkson.  I'd rather have him than Alfie

not me

#143 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

They will still be on the hook for the 2 in bonuses and they are probably very easy to reach.

Probably, what if they are he needs to reach 70 points?

You have no idea, but are willing to complain based on some preconceive notion of the contract.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#144 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hey, isn't this the same price for Vinnie? Oh wait...

$4.5m cap hit for Vinny the next 5 years vs. $3.5 for Alfie for 1 & a possible $2m carry over into 2014-15 if he hits his bonuses.  Oh wait..that isn't the same price at all

#145 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

$4.5m cap hit for Vinny the next 5 years vs. $3.5 for Alfie for 1 & a possible $2m carry over into 2014-15 if he hits his bonuses.  Oh wait..that isn't the same price at all

Isn't there also a cap cushion in place for bonuses? Capgeek lists Alfredsson's $5.5 million contract as well as a $60 million payroll, but shows the Wings as having $7.2 million left because $3 million of it is bonus money.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#146 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

The best thing about a short term fix is its short term. Get him for a season and hope for better FA's next year. If it works out then good its better than having they money sit.

the worst thing is that the players that could actually make a difference are all locked up long term... This is hardly a passing trend. So rather than sign a player like Lecavalier because Holland thinks 5 yrs is too long, he will end up signing guys like Samuelsson and Alfredsson to short term contracts for the next five years.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#147 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

So you do not like Swedes on teams, are you using that for your argument?????

Nill traded and All-star would have been a bit better way to start that, however that doesn't suit your argument as much does it?

That 21 yr old reportedly has off ice/maturity issues, and Rich Peverly is not exactly lighting the world on fire.

And that Swede has 4 times put up > 70 point seasons and was on pace for 60 last season.

Seguin stock has done nothing but go down in Boston, maybe that is part of the environment, maybe that is all on Seguin.

But Seguin has had one season that was as good as Ericsson's worst season.

Lets not judge Nill as some awesome NHL GM, until the regular season starts, heck lets even wait until he has a season or two under his belt.

Remember the should have kept Yzerman over Holland posts, everyone still want Yzerman over Holland as a GM?

Well, Patrick Kane reportedly had maturity issues too.  Kinda thinking the Blackhawks are glad that they didn't dump him based on that.  A 21 year old guy who's not mature?  Imagine that!

My response was directed at the "how do you know Nill didn't want this and Holland did" post.  Holland is clearly conservative and plays it safe and sticks with older players and European players.  Had Nill signed Alfie or another over 35 Swede, than it may be a little unclear, but Nill saw needs, and made moves that weren't necessarily safe.  I didn't say he was a better GM, but anyone who says I don't want Cleary has some hockey sense in my book  ;)

#148 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Isn't there also a cap cushion in place for bonuses? Capgeek lists Alfredsson's $5.5 million contract as well as a $60 million payroll, but shows the Wings as having $7.2 million left because $3 million of it is bonus money.

Yes, teams can in essence overspend the cap in the amount of bonuses that can be deferred to the next season if hit.

#149 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

There's no doubt this signing will help the team. And the price is definitely right. But I just hope we land our 2nd line center. Even if it's re-signing Filppula

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#150 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well, Patrick Kane reportedly had maturity issues too.  Kinda thinking the Blackhawks are glad that they didn't dump him based on that.  A 21 year old guy who's not mature?  Imagine that!

My response was directed at the "how do you know Nill didn't want this and Holland did" post.  Holland is clearly conservative and plays it safe and sticks with older players and European players.  Had Nill signed Alfie or another over 35 Swede, than it may be a little unclear, but Nill saw needs, and made moves that weren't necessarily safe.  I didn't say he was a better GM, but anyone who says I don't want Cleary has some hockey sense in my book  ;)

And my point would be that it is an organizational decision.

Nill is in a second or third tier hockey market, with very little pressure to win a cup.

Holland is in a top tier hockey market that looks at everyone of his moves under a microscope.

Holland is in an organization that has a long standing tradition of how they treat their players, Nill is given the keys to the castle and allowed to do what he wants.

He made one move, and now we are saying that his trait is to be more aggressive.

Again lets give him a year or two in Dallas before we anoint him the better GM, as my original post was in reply to some one saying we let the wrong GM leave!

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#151 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Right but Abby was on pace for 6 assists, well behind Alfie who was on pace for 32!

Alfie is not one dimensional, he will play very good defense, will go to the net, will set up other players as well.

And that was with Abby playing minutes with Datsyuk, remember Corey Perry giving Abby crap about his totals while playing with Dats?

You think Abby should be playing 1st line minutes over Alfie? Really?

Doesn't really matter as they will probably be on the same line as Alfie is RW and Abby is LW.

I believe it was Shane Doan giving Abby crap. Could be wrong tho...

#152 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Stephen Weiss to the Red wings reportedly a done deal.

Panthers Play by Play announcer, fwiw.

#153 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

I believe it was Shane Doan giving Abby crap. Could be wrong tho...

Yeah, it was. It was the game towards the end of the season where he blew up.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#154 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Stephen Weiss to DET is done. 5 years, $4.9M.

Very good deal

#155 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Where does Bert and Sammy fit into this team?

#156 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

The press box?

Seriously though, they need to buy out one and hope the other can be on LTIR.

#157 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Alfredsson can score 30 goals still at 40 years old, he's signed for 1 year and then we'll be able to bring up the next kid that's ready.  I love the signing and give Kenny 100% props on the signing.

Nope.  I hope that answers your question.  :lol:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#158 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

$5.5m a bit steep but for one year commitment, it is what it is.  This plus Weiss makes it a good day.  If it was only Alfie ... I'd start worrying.  

#159 Silent Hill

Silent Hill

Villain! You've killed me!

• PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

...To me it seems like people are arbitrarily assigning blame and credit! 

Welcome to the LetsGoWings.com Forums!  

And here out of the mists of history, the legendary esquilax. A horse with the head of a rabbit and the body of...a rabbit.

#160 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Anyone with knowledge in terms of what the bonus consists of?