• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

David Clarkson is a Maple Leaf

Rate this topic

You think we should over pay a 30 point per year guy for 7 years?

Just look at the Leafs now:

Orr, Frazer, McLaren, Clarkson thats 4 guys willing to drop the gloves and cause havok, Leafs are going to have a lot of fun with the Wings they are really tough now :(

Lucic set the price for powerforwards, Clarkson IS a powerforward so I am not surprised with the type of deal he got.

Edited by frankgrimes

Leafs have lost their area of strength this year. Last year they were big, strong and fast. They lost McCarther, Grabo, Komorov who were all speed players for them.

Leafs will miss the playoffs next year.

This year they are even bigger, stronger who cares about fast? This team is going to be a hell to play against, much like Boston.

Boston are hell to play against because they have a lot of good players. That some of them are big and tough is just gravy. People make the same mistake about the 07 Ducks - they were good because they had a lot of good players and had at least 1 HOF defenceman on the ice for 50 minutes a night, not because George Parros was on the 4th line.

Guest Crymson

Not getting him?

Powerforwards are a rarity in the "new" NHL.

I really don't understand this idea of yours that he's a power forward. He's of unexceptional size, he's slow, he's average in the hits department, and he doesn't possess an excellent shot.

Guest Crymson

I've been doing some forum-going on the subject; a collective groan has gone up from Leafs Nation at Clarkson's contract, and fans from every other team are laughing at Nonis.

The difference between real GMs and armchari GMs is:

These guys have seens tons of games in person, they know the ins and outs and team needs. As a armchari GMs the best we can do, is looking at some internet stats and judge most of the players by them but stats aren't telling the whole story.

Clarkson is - according to many experts - a guy, that can play and provide different things: screen the goalie, be physical, create room for the more skilled guys (Bickell showed how important that is), will stick up for his teammates and provide leadership. So basically this is a guy, who is giving a team a lot of options he was UFA for sure he is going to get overpaid.

I really don't understand the hate against him, great player and sadfully he will show it against the Wings.

Edited by frankgrimes

I lived in New Jersey for 4 years and made some friends, two in which I have now kept in touch with since the late 1990s and they are die hard Devils fans. Spoke with both of them today in a chat as we were hanging out watching the UFA period unfold and both were overjoyed to be rid of Clarkson. Before his one productive season I heard from them very frequently how sorry of a player he was, how they wanted him gone, how he took idiotic penalties in key situations and cost that team games because of it. Both also agreed which is also where I stand that he had an abnormally good season which he played well above his skill level and is highly unlikely to repeat another season like it. For that reason alone, two close friends of mine who have been devils fans for as long as i've been a Wings fan put enough negativity in my head about Clarkson over the years that it's hard to not pay attention to their feelings about him.

Clarkson got overpaid, and we'll see as the season progresses that not paying him that much was a great decision for us. He's a $3.5 mil player that got a free agency day contract that I believe Toronto will regret.

I really don't understand the hate against him, great player and sadfully he will show it against the Wings.

He maybe a good player. He has not been great so far and it is not a sure bet that he ever will be. $37M over 7 years is too much for this guy.