• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#41 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Like the old days in Hockeytown. Great day for GM Ken Holland and the Wings.

good old days?? LOL  we didnt get 40 yr old washed up players and overrated injury prone guys , back in the day we got the best

#42 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

I'd link you to capgeek, but every time a team makes a signing their page crashes from views.

With Alfredsson taking up $3.5m and Weiss' $4.9m Detroit should have $2.3m left.

Not sure how we sign Gus, Andersson and Smith with 2.3 milion but there must be some kind of plan in place.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#43 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Personally I was hoping for Grabovski but Weiss brings a lot to the table as well. And will be a very nice fit for our system. Nice job Kenny atta boy

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#44 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

f*** !!! GONNA BE A LONG 5 YEARS ! ! 4.9 CAP HIT OMG ... really hating ken holland man , wish jim nill stayed

4.9 is a steal in a weak FA class when teams want to overspend.

#45 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Weiss was just on Sportsnet being interviewed.

- Said signing with Detroit was a "no brainer"

- Was down to St Louis and Detroit - Toronto didn't contact despite rumors they were in

- Is excited to put on the Wings jersey, and to play for a classy organization. 

- Is excited to learn from Datsyuk, Zetterberg and now Alfredsson

#46 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

good old days?? LOL  we didnt get 40 yr old washed up players and overrated injury prone guys , back in the day we got the best

injury prone guys? Weiss has averaged 74 games a year in his career and that number is only at 74 because he was injured last year. Make some sense before you post this garbage.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#47 Petrafire

Petrafire

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

guys who are bitching i dont understand The wings are a better team today then they were in game 7 vs Chicago 

#48 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

This is a great signing. Replace Fil with a better player fora reasonable term and cap hit. Doesnt get much better.

#49 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Not sure how we sign Gus, Andersson and Smith with 2.3 milion but there must be some kind of plan in place.

They still have one compliance buyout left.

But I am of the thinking that at this time only Smith gets over a mil and very little over a million at that.

So you are looking realistically at about 2.5 being used up on all of 3 of them.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#50 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Exactly

#51 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

The Red Wings obtained plenty of "over the hill" guys back then. Or did you forget where the "Red Wings are old" narrative came from?

Weiss has averaged 74 games a year since 02-03 and that's with the mere 17 games he played this year.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#52 gurnsy200

gurnsy200

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'd much rather have Weiss at 4.9 than Fil at even 4 per.  Great signing.

#53 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Good job Kenny, I like this a lot!

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#54 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

guys who are bitching i dont understand The wings are a better team today then they were in game 7 vs Chicago 

THIS^^^

#55 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Great day for the wings!! Trade the scraps for whoever will take them. Loving these moves nothing but upgrades

#56 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Dude need some tissues for the tears or what? Given what's available it's a good signing

thats the problem ... just because its ufa day doesnt mean we gotta sign players just for the sake of signing players , were gonna f***en regret this signing down the road 100% certain

#57 cupcrazy

cupcrazy

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 824 posts

I agree, Holland has done a great job today giving Dats and Hank all the help he can. In the salary cap era he can only do so much.

Posted Image

#58 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I think Filppula is really going to regret this decision....

Especially when he gets Hudler on his wing lol

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#59 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Now this is a good signing. I'll have to learn to love Alfie I guess.. but won't be hard to like Weiss. Good Canadian boy! :hehe:

#NOMOREKINDL

#60 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

There will be more than 2.3 million. The wings have trade a couple forwards after today's signings. Trade for picks = cap space