• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Wings sign Stephen Weiss, 5-years, $24.5m

Rate this topic

Tatar may actually be the better player...and he's younger and more physical. He has earned the spot and playing time.

He sure does deserve a spot on the roster, but Brunner will be a 30-40 goal scorer a year, I will bet ANYONE $20.

I'd link you to capgeek, but every time a team makes a signing their page crashes from views.

With Alfredsson taking up $3.5m and Weiss' $4.9m Detroit should have $2.3m left.

I think that's based on Detroit keeping Alfredsson's bonuses on this year, we push those to next year and we will have 4.3, not counting what cap we shed.

Pretty sure you were ragging on Holland in the other thread for not signing Komisarek...but i think that explains a lot in itself...lol

explains alot ? it was a 1 yr deal i suggested for 3rd pairing ... not a 5 year term and 5 mill cap hit , i dont think it was a big risk were stuck with weiss for 5 yrs now

Congrats on keeping to your plan of making the team bigger, younger, and increasing scoring by signing a 5'11 guy who got .24 ppg last year to a 4.9 5 year deal that will take a roster spot from one of the kids going forward.

Holland sure is doing a great job. Good show old boy.

What a s***ty, s***ty, s***ty job he has done the last three years. If Jim Nill was the reason we draft well, this team is going to be defunct in five years.

I guess one thing that's interesting is didn't Lecavalier sign for 5 years @ $22.5 mill? I think he's only 3 years older than Weiss, and much bigger.

Ya I would have rather wanted Lecavalier than Weiss.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Like the old days in Hockeytown. Great day for GM Ken Holland and the Wings.

this is nice to see, it's been a few years since these things were said about the wings, it's good to know Holland didn't just say "we like our team" and I hope i won't have to see everyone post that 100 times a day anymore. Add to the Boston letting their team fall apart and I think we should be the favourites at least in our division next season! Go Wings!

I actually love the cap-hit for Weiss and the signing overall is looking great because we need at center. Now its the Alfredsson signing that has me thinking we essentially chose a guy about to retire for Cleary and Brunner. Brunner should have been signed before UFA for the money and term they were looking for.

It looks like we have run out of cap since we still need to sign Nyquist, Smith, and Andersson. Bye Brunner :(

I guess one thing that's interesting is didn't Lecavalier sign for 5 years @ $22.5 mill? I think he's only 3 years older than Weiss, and much bigger.

Weiss moves a lot better than Vinny. I think that was the big thing.

I actually love the cap-hit for Weiss and the signing overall is looking great because we need at center. Now its the Alfredsson signing that has me thinking we essentially chose a guy about to retire for Cleary and Brunner. Brunner should have been signed before UFA for the money and term they were looking for.

It looks like we have run out of cap since we still need to sign Nyquist, Smith, and Andersson. Bye Brunner :(

I dont think even Brunner knew what he was worth. His is just an odd situation.

I agree with Goalie Man Pat, Weiss moves a lot better than Vinny does.

And I think Brunner himself was just interested in finding out what he is worth, his agent on the other hand I think is interested in getting him the most for his client (there is my no crap post for the day).

I think Brunner put himself in a position the Wings didn't want to be in.

The wings still have plenty of cap flexibility. Taking Alfies' bonus out of this year, they still have approximately $5 mil left. That likely makes retaining Brunner dicey. Dumping TooToo or Eaves gives them 6-7, which would then likely allow them to sign Brunner and the RFAs. The question is, do they want to keep both of Tatar and Brunner?

Also, think that Nyquist could be assigned to GR for the summer and start the season with the RW as a replacement for Sammy or Helm if still on LTIR (correct me if I am wrong).

Really, Wings have plenty of flexibility for another signing. Whether they want Brunner or not is the question.

The wings still have plenty of cap flexibility. Taking Alfies' bonus out of this year, they still have approximately $5 mil left. That likely makes retaining Brunner dicey. Dumping TooToo or Eaves gives them 6-7, which would then likely allow them to sign Brunner and the RFAs. The question is, do they want to keep both of Tatar and Brunner?

Also, think that Nyquist could be assigned to GR for the summer and start the season with the RW as a replacement for Sammy or Helm if still on LTIR (correct me if I am wrong).

Really, Wings have plenty of flexibility for another signing. Whether they want Brunner or not is the question.

Capgeek's cap calculator has removed Alfredsson's bonus and shows Detroit as having $2.3 million in cap room left.

Capgeek's cap calculator has removed Alfredsson's bonus and shows Detroit as having $2.3 million in cap room left.

It is now in his salary. Either way, they are counting it as a current year hit, so the upper number remains 4.8 mil or so - I just calculated it. It does not take too many roster moves to fit everyone in and re-sign Brunner if they want him, IMO.

It is now in his salary. Either way, they are counting it as a current year hit, so the upper number remains 4.8 mil or so - I just calculated it. It does not take too many roster moves to fit everyone in and re-sign Brunner if they want him, IMO.

Now it is back in bonuses.

First time in years we can roll three scoring lines. Very, very excited at the signings abd departures. Stronger down the all important middle, a wingers for Datsyuk, and maybe everyone else goes back to the bottom 6 roles they are supposed to play.

And no overpayments. Glorious. And Ye might not be done yet. Still have to clear roster space.

As much as I like Brunner, I forgot about Tatar. Tatar could be just as good with a full season. Which is probably why Brunner hasn't signed yet.

Congrats on keeping to your plan of making the team bigger, younger, and increasing scoring by signing a 5'11 guy who got .24 ppg last year to a 4.9 5 year deal that will take a roster spot from one of the kids going forward.

Holland sure is doing a great job. Good show old boy.

What a s***ty, s***ty, s***ty job he has done the last three years. If Jim Nill was the reason we draft well, this team is going to be defunct in five years.

I'm on board with the people aligning with this style of thinking. I just don't understand how you give nearly $5M to a guy that has only performed exceptionally well when flanked by really good wingers (Booth/Horton). Even then, he isn't much of a two-way player, and isn't very good in the faceoff circle (although, I will admit, he's finally reached 50% over the past two years). I suppose I would be okay with the money if it was over three years and not five, but I think this signing will turn out to be a move that fans point back to in a couple of years and wonder why the Red Wings jumped the gun.

I may very well be wrong. In fact, as a fan of the team, I WANT to be wrong. But when I hang up the sweater and look at this objectively... I think it has all of the makings of the subject featured in another popular thread: an overreaction. I think the Red Wings jumped the gun and way overpaid in both years and dollars for a guy in a limited pool. If it was $5.9 over two years... fine. But $4.9 over 5? Not a fan.