• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

First, it would not break my heart if Cleary walked.  Second, to those of you who wish to lose Patrick Eaves, I beg to differ...he has a place in the penalty kill with Drew Miller.  Bert is getting long in the tooth, and his back problems just won't disappear - in fact, they will most likely get worse.  Sammy is a safe removal, but who's going to want him after last season's fiasco?

Its not about wanting him gone. Its about well just look.

Z DAT Abby
Franzen Weiss Alfie
Nyquist Anderson Tatar
Eaves emmerton miller

Bench; too too

Injured helm Bert Sammy.

See the problem? What happens if/when helm and Bert are healthy?

This is why I was against the miller signing. The dude is a heck of a guy for us...we just don't have room. Now we all expect a trade or two. This is where "addition by subtraction" would help us a lot.

#122 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Can't send him down it still counts against the Cap so it does no good to send him down. Our only hope is a team that is looking to make the cap floor and get a 6th or 7th round pick out of him

You are mistaken. We actually do get some relief if he is sent down. We'd be on the books for 2/3rds of his contract ($2M out of his $3M), but would be able to divide it up to $1M this year, and $1M next year.

So sending Sammy down could free up $2M this year.

#123 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Quincy Sammy 1st 2014 pick to wash for John Carlson

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#124 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Quincy Sammy 1st 2014 pick to wash for John Carlson

This thread is getting out of hand. McPhee isn't the smartest GM ever (see Filip Forsberg trade) but c'mon....classic "our garbage for your good stuff trade".

#125 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

This thread is getting out of hand. McPhee isn't the smartest GM ever (see Filip Forsberg trade) but c'mon....classic "our garbage for your good stuff trade".

LOL just bored is all .... but he did trade Forsberg, i'm shocked he hasnt traded ovechkin and a 1st overall for phaneuf

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#126 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

You are mistaken. We actually do get some relief if he is sent down. We'd be on the books for 2/3rds of his contract ($2M out of his $3M), but would be able to divide it up to $1M this year, and $1M next year.

So sending Sammy down could free up $2M this year.

pretty sure the one mill per season cap hit is if he were bought out. if he's sent down its a 2 mill hit for just this season 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#127 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

pretty sure the one mill per season cap hit is if he were bought out. if he's sent down its a 2 mill hit for just this season 

Correct.

I mixed the two up. Burying his contract in the AHL would cost us: cap hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ]

so $3,000,000 - [ $525,000 + $375,000 ] = $2,100,000

$900,000 isn't much cap relief.

#128 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

I can't wait for our starting Griffins line up to be: Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar, so that I can watch LGW explode with Holland hatred

#129 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

After learning the rules, Im positive that 2 players will go to arbitration so Holland will be able to can Sammy's ass. The young guys would be re-upped by now, otherwise. What a pain.

#130 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Its a log jam for sure...16 forwards when all are signed and healthy....I would hate to be in Holland's shoes...

Edited by LeftWinger, 09 July 2013 - 12:30 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#131 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Its a log jam for sure...16 forwards when all are signed and healthy....I would hate to be in Holland's shoes...

Not sure how he's going to swing this but hopefully he makes a 3 for 1 or something and gets another piece or moves some of these guys to load up on picks.. That's what he's paid the big bucks for.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#132 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

While improbable, definately not impossible.

Reagrdless, GR is as low as he should be sent down, not Toledo as some have suggested.

Screwing the Wings over by playing the injury card when he was allegedly ready to  go in the Chicago series....if there was a place lower than Toledo, we'd want to send him there.  He's a distraction now and he needs to go whichever way the Wings can rid themselves of him.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#133 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

I can't wait for our starting Griffins line up to be: Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar, so that I can watch LGW explode with Holland hatred

It can't happen.  All either have to be with the Red Wings or have to pass through waivers to be sent down.   

#134 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

It can't happen.  All either have to be with the Red Wings or have to pass through waivers to be sent down.   

They can't be called up? They have to start with the Red Wings and then be sent down? If so, that's good news to me.

#135 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

You're right about Andersson and Tatar, but last I checked Nyquist can still pass through waivers. 

#136 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Technically, I don't believe that's correct.  Tatar is out of waiver exemptions but officially Nyquist & Andersson are not.  Granted they have so few games left they can play in the NHL (2 & 12 respectively) before they lose exemption, that it really doesn't matter.  So they're on the big club unless they're sent down with the intention of keeping them in GR the entire season.

#137 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Technically, I don't believe that's correct.  Tatar is out of waiver exemptions but officially Nyquist & Andersson are not.  Granted they have so few games left they can play in the NHL (2 & 12 respectively) before they lose exemption, that it really doesn't matter.  So they're on the big club unless they're sent down with the intention of keeping them in GR the entire season.

Pretty sure Andersson is not exempt (3 years since signing in April of 2010), but Gus still technically has 2 games of exemption left. So he would appear to be "safe".

Edited by Jesusberg, 09 July 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#138 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

If we regular buyout Sammy and trade Tootoo (tradeable) we look like we are in pretty good shape before signing our 3 big RFAs - If I were Holland that is what I'd do.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m) 
NYQUIST / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m) 
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) 

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / ANDERSSON / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) 
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) 
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) 
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / SMITH
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / 
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m) 
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($1.000m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,102,879; BONUSES: $3,010,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,207,121

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#139 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Pretty sure Andersson is not exempt (3 years since signing in April of 2010), but Gus still technically has 2 games of exemption left. So he would appear to be "safe".

You're right, just rechecked.  Up to 69 NHL regular season/playoff games for him or 3 years pro which is the one he just hit.

#140 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

I get the feeling we worry about the roster and tear it apart looking to get better more than Holland does. Someone should call him and remind him a trade or two wouldn't be a bad idea.

RedWing fan behind enemy lines