• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#141 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

Its okay that hes doing good...Holland will resign him when his contract is over with a NTC

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#142 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Near all last season, Filppula was disrupted the knee injury which he received before the season start while he was playing a Finnish Champions League. I think it was part of the reason why he played a poor last season. At least it was discussed in the Finnish media.

He also missed time with a wrist injury.  Certain players seem to get a pass with injuries, while others don't.  I think the question regarding Filppula and perhaps Hudler to a degree is why isn't Babcock able to get the most out of these players?

#143 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Fil was always going to put up more points in Tampa, why are people so surprised by this? Especially now as the #1 center. He gets more ice time, more offensive line-mates, and a more offensive system. You also have to add in that Fil was saddled with Francine, Bert, and Cleary for a lot of  last year. I dont care who you are when you have those boat anchors on your line its going to effect your scoring.

#144 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,002 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Fil was always going to put up more points in Tampa, why are people so surprised by this?

This.

Any and all of our players would probably put up more points on the Bolts. Except maybe Bert, because he wouldn't be playing with Z and D, and Cleary, because he wouldn't be playing, period.

And yet, I also feel like half of our guys couldn't play the Bolts' game. Puck-possession is forgiving; you can be incredibly slow and terrible, as long as you're able to make crisp passes and guard the puck a little. Whereas the Bolts play a very fast, aggressive, up-tempo game. You can be old, but you'd better be smart - and fast (see: Marty St. Louis).

Edited by Dabura, 15 November 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#145 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,002 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Also, for what it's worth:

I just remembered something an old coach of mine once said. He said, "A hockey player's wrists are not like a bicycle." I didn't understand what he meant at the time (I was really young and just thrilled as s*** to be playing AAA hockey), but I think I do now. Basically, you have to stay on top of that s***. You can't just, like, have surgery on your wrist and sit out for half a season and then come back firing on all cylinders. Doesn't work that way. Needs time.

Point being, I'm still not ready to hate on Weiss. Though I guess it's a little moot, cuz he's injured.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#146 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

But when Filppula had a wrist injury and was coming off a knee injury, he just sucked?  And Carlo Colaiocovo is like glass, but Weiss isn't, though he seems to be injured frequently?

Since when have the Wings played puck possession? 

#147 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,002 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

But when Filppula had a wrist injury and was coming off a knee injury, he just sucked?

Flip was with the Wings for a very long time. He was a disappointment for almost his entire time here. He wasn't injured/coming off an injury the whole time.

Weiss has been with us for less than twenty games. He's been coming off an injury and surgery.

And Carlo Colaiocovo is like glass, but Weiss isn't, though he seems to be injured frequently?

Carlo Colaiacovo is literally made out of glass. This is a scientific fact. He is the most injury-prone human being ever. Of all time. In history. Forever.

Technically the Wings play grab-ass, but we all call it "puck-possession," because euphemisms are fun.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#148 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

ZDB plays it. The rest of the team plays gnip gnop: While you're gnipping, they're gnopping!

#149 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

But when Filppula had a wrist injury and was coming off a knee injury, he just sucked?  And Carlo Colaiocovo is like glass, but Weiss isn't, though he seems to be injured frequently?

I took this post as complete sarcasm.. was it not?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#150 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

ZDB plays it. The rest of the team plays gnip gnop: While you're gnipping, they're gnopping!

Lmao this made my day, thanks

#151 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

He's doing fine,cause he's doing what he's been asked to do for years...shot the #$&(/)(&&/# puck more often.Simple as that.

Edited by pucktividi, 15 November 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#152 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Carlo Colaiacovo is literally made out of glass. This is a scientific fact. He is the most injury-prone human being ever. Of all time. In history. Forever.

For exhibit A I present to you this man:

BDD_JD_shoulder_1.2.07.jpg

The one The only Man of Glass, J.D. DREW!!!

This man would literally crumble to his knees at the mere though of playing hockey, someone being able to hit him, no way!

He hurts himself breathing enough as is!!!

Edited by Opie, 15 November 2013 - 12:12 PM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#153 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

2 more goals tonight. I wish he wasn't in our division so I could root for him.

I don't see why people keep bringing up his play this season. If he'd played this way last season, or even half as good, he'd be on the team right now.

#154 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

I don't see why people keep bringing up his play this season. If he'd played this way last season, or even half as good, he'd be on the team right now.

He was coming off a knee injury while playing in Finland during the lockout, and he missed time with a wrist injury.  What did Weiss do during the 2012 season?  Oh, right, he didn't play, but was deserving of a 5 year deal.  And according to Babcock himself, he was offered a 7 year deal.  So maybe it was the other way around?  He didn't want to play for the Wings and they weren't able to maximize his talent? 

Edited by Playmaker, 16 November 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#155 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

He was coming off a knee injury while playing in Finland during the lockout, and he missed time with a wrist injury.  What did Weiss do during the 2012 season?  Oh, right, he didn't play, but was deserving of a 5 year deal.  And according to Babcock himself, he was offered a 7 year deal.  So maybe it was the other way around?  He didn't want to play for the Wings and they weren't able to maximize his talent? 

He had two months to rehab from what was, at most, a moderate injury, and his skating was unaffected. His later wrist injury was minor. Neither required surgery. Players very often recover from these injuries mid-season and do very well. Filppula did not.

Filppula did want to play for the Red Wings. He was simply not offered the contract that he wanted, and rightfully so; he had a single good season under his belt, and was coming off the worst of his career.

Just about every hockey analyst on the planet judged Weiss a wise signing by Holland.

Facts etc. etc.

Edited by Crymson, 16 November 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#156 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

He had two months to rehab from what was, at most, a moderate injury, and his skating was unaffected. His later wrist injury was minor. Neither required surgery. Players very often recover from these injuries mid-season and do very well. Filppula did not.

Filppula did want to play for the Red Wings. He was simply not offered the contract that he wanted, and rightfully so; he had a single good season under his belt, and was coming off the worst of his career.

Just about every hockey analyst on the planet judged Weiss a wise signing by Holland.

Facts etc. etc.

Flip would not be playing like he is if he signed with the Wings. Our system is not helping our team create offense. If you look at Hudler and Flip, they are shooting more then ever and scoring and going to areas they never did with Detroit.

#157 DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Why in the world do we perpetuate this ridiculous discussion? Filpulla is gone and he's never coming back. He will NOT sustain what he has done thus far. He never has. Weiss is here, now. You're ready to want Filpulla back after one quarter of one season? Please. And don't even get me started on Hudler. A one-dimensional, system player that blows over in the breeze. No thanks.

#158 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

th

Facts etc. etc.

Facts:  Filppula sprained his MCL November 14, 2012 and was projected to be out 6-8 weeks.  The NHL season started January 19, 2013.  So when did he have all this "rehab" time?  He was off the ice for most of that time.  How does this not affect his skating? So when Weiss has a wrist injury, it takes months to get over, but anyone else is supposed to shrug it off and play well?

You don't know that Filppula wanted to play for the Wings.  You're guessing, not giving facts.  I have heard just the opposite.  That he turned down the long term deal because he absolutely did not want to play for Babcock any more.   You stated that he was no longer here because he didn't perform well last

season.  That was not a fact, as the Wings offered him a long term deal to stay.  They wanted him.  He did not want to be here. 

If you want to give your opinion, you're entitled to do that.  But quit with the "fact" BS.  You don't have facts.  You have speculation and opinion.

#159 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

th

Facts:  Filppula sprained his MCL November 14, 2012 and was projected to be out 6-8 weeks.  The NHL season started January 19, 2013.  So when did he have all this "rehab" time?  He was off the ice for most of that time.  How does this not affect his skating? So when Weiss has a wrist injury, it takes months to get over, but anyone else is supposed to shrug it off and play well?

You don't know that Filppula wanted to play for the Wings.  You're guessing, not giving facts.  I have heard just the opposite.  That he turned down the long term deal because he absolutely did not want to play for Babcock any more.   You stated that he was no longer here because he didn't perform well last

season.  That was not a fact, as the Wings offered him a long term deal to stay.  They wanted him.  He did not want to be here. 

If you want to give your opinion, you're entitled to do that.  But quit with the "fact" BS.  You don't have facts.  You have speculation and opinion.

You criticize Crymson guessing whether Filppula wanted to play here and then you do the same thing guessing that Filppula absolutely didn't want to play for Babcock.

Filppula played really badly last year. As such, management did not feel comfortable giving Filppula the 5m he wanted - It was deemed to be too much of a risk. Everyone around here scoffed at the idea that he could demand that much. Yes, the Wings offered him a long term contract and wanted him here, but he only had one really good season and that was on Zetterberg's wing - not as second line center where he would really be valueable. As such they offered him less. Filppula went to free agency and got his 5m from the Lightning.

That's the version of events I read just about eveywhere.

#160 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Sometimes players will perform better with a new team.  Whether it's the change of message, system, or just scenery, there is an improvement.  I'm sure Filppula is benefiting from at least one of these.

I have also heard from several sources that Tampa's coach, Cooper, is great at getting the best out of his players.  He's not a "systems" guy, he lets his assistants handle that, but he's a tremendous motivator.  Filppula always struck me as someone who needed motivating...

Edited by joshy207, 16 November 2013 - 01:04 PM.