• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Bobby Ryan to Ottawa

Rate this topic

Noesen is still boom bust type prospect with some holes in his game, but a lot of upside. Tatar is a lot more complete. That's why I chose Pulkkenin, he's just starting to learn to play a full game, has great offensive upside, but still not a complete player.

OK, Sold, Pulkkinen it is!

LOL, I know less about Noesen, just know he has a lot of talent!

Yeah, we couldn't have used a right handed shot that's 26 years old and has 5 30 goal seasons already. So how many good playoffs has Stephen Weiss had? Alfredsson? But it might have meant taking a small risk on players who are going to sit and rot in GR while we continue to sign 40 year olds.

This trade, to me is the epitome of why teams like Ottawa and Anaheim are up and down more than a Yo-Yo.

Bobby Ryan is a very good player with a bit of a spur in his saddle.

But it is not like the Ducks got a couple of pluggers and a 5th rounder.

Nyquist will be on this roster all year and make a difference, trading him and say Pulkkinen for Ryan and a 1st rounder to me is an overpayment.

BTW Bobby Ryan has had one season that stands out as far better than Weiss, other than that they are both high 50 to low 60 point scorers. Weiss did that in Florida, and Ryan did it on ANA's top line, with GREAT linemates.

Even when he got demoted he still had Selanne!

Ryan is 4 years younger, but the price for him salary wise and commodity wise was high.

I would still love him on this roster though!

Edited by Opie

Hollamd allegedly lost interest in Ryan after viewing his crappy compete level in the playoffs.

I put Ryan in the Brunner category..completely one dimensional streaky scorer..hard to give up goal scoring but this game is played at both ends of the ice..something neither of these two is very good at.

Guest Playmaker

I put Ryan in the Brunner category..completely one dimensional streaky scorer..hard to give up goal scoring but this game is played at both ends of the ice..something neither of these two is very good at.

Personally, I don't think we need 12 two way small European forwards. I'm okay with a guy that just shoots the puck and can score 30 goals a season. I don't think his cap hit is much more than Weiss', like maybe 5.5?

Silverberg=Nyquist

Noesen=Pulkkinen

1st round is a first round.

I would have done that deal, no problem. Yes Ryan is perhaps not a sure thing, but he would bring more size and that alone would make it worth the gamble.

Guest Crymson

Yeah, we couldn't have used a right handed shot that's 26 years old and has 5 30 goal seasons already. So how many good playoffs has Stephen Weiss had? Alfredsson? But it might have meant taking a small risk on players who are going to sit and rot in GR while we continue to sign 40 year olds.

Ryan is not the same high-impact player he was two seasons ago. His awful performance against the Wings in the playoffs is more indicative of how he plays now.

Hollamd allegedly lost interest in Ryan after viewing his crappy compete level in the playoffs.

Link?

Yeah that is closer to Nyquist and Tatar than Pulkkenin, but maybe that is just me!.

The Ducks got rid of a malcontent (from all reports) and got two really good prospects, really good prospects!

But was he a malcontent before they started shopping him around? (I honestly don't know)

The Ducks dangled Ryan several times. After a while that's got to get to you as a player.

Ryan is not the same high-impact player he was two seasons ago. His awful performance against the Wings in the playoffs is more indicative of how he plays now.

by that logic you can say the same thing about weiss and alfredsson since they didnt put up big numbers this past season either?

cant imagine bobby ryan being here and not putting up 30-40 goals

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Guest Crymson

by that logic you can say the same thing about weiss and alfredsson since they didnt put up big numbers this past season either?

In case you hadn't noticed, I was referring to the playoffs. Weiss did not play in the playoffs---the Panthers did not qualify---and Alfredsson had ten points in ten games. If you'd like to look to the regular season, your comparison is still invalid; Weiss played 17 games injured before going out for good, and Alfredsson trailed Ryan by a whopping four points.

Finally---this should be obvious---and most importantly, we didn't trade a first-round pick and two high-level prospects for Weiss or Alfredsson. We got them for salary only.

Time to start the fire Holland chants. We will miss playoffs next year cause we got no goal scorer.

It's pretty easy to make these claims when there's no responsibility attached, isn't it?

Bobby Ryan played with Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim

Bobby Ryan will now play with Spezza (if healthy) and Michalek.

Bobby Ryan production will not be a PPG player anymore, he will be around 60-70 points.

Bobby Ryan played with Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim

Bobby Ryan will now play with Spezza (if healthy) and Michalek.

Bobby Ryan production will not be a PPG player anymore, he will be around 60-70 points.

never was a PPG player. Always has been a 60 point guy. he is a goal scorer not a setup man. he is also one of 6 players in the entire NHL to have more than 1 season of 25+ goals and 120+ hits over the last 4 years. that is his game. We will get to see it up close and often for the next 2 years, maybe more.

Nyquist would have been involved for us... His compete level is off the charts - just look at how he back checks as a winger - its insane. I think Gus could be a better two-way player than Ryan in the future and put up similar point totals just not as many goals. Just my two cents. I see why Holland didnt make the move.

Link?

But was he a malcontent before they started shopping him around? (I honestly don't know)

The Ducks dangled Ryan several times. After a while that's got to get to you as a player.

Yup. Not to mention they had him playing on his off wing, when he is a natural RW. But yes, when your GM talks in the press about moving you, that does cause issues. BTW what RW forwards have scored over 30 goals in a season more than Ryan has? Z is tied with him at 4, but his last seasons was 08/09.

Nyquist would have been involved for us... His compete level is off the charts - just look at how he back checks as a winger - its insane. I think Gus could be a better two-way player than Ryan in the future and put up similar point totals just not as many goals. Just my two cents. I see why Holland didnt make the move.

LOL

Yup. Not to mention they had him playing on his off wing, when he is a natural RW. But yes, when your GM talks in the press about moving you, that does cause issues. BTW what RW forwards have scored over 30 goals in a season more than Ryan has? Z is tied with him at 4, but his last seasons was 08/09.

LOL

Z will move back to wing and be up there (25+) again this season hopefully. When Z scored 40 he was on the wing. Being a C really hampers your ability to score goals. Ryan isn't defensively responsible enough for Holland's taste and gets out-compete often.

In case you hadn't noticed, I was referring to the playoffs. Weiss did not play in the playoffs---the Panthers did not qualify---and Alfredsson had ten points in ten games. If you'd like to look to the regular season, your comparison is still invalid; Weiss played 17 games injured before going out for good, and Alfredsson trailed Ryan by a whopping four points.

Finally---this should be obvious---and most importantly, we didn't trade a first-round pick and two high-level prospects for Weiss or Alfredsson. We got them for salary only.

oh i noticed , you still gotta show up in the regular season so you can make the playoffs and weiss only had 4 pts in 17 games before the injury (funny how you left that out ) and hes still unproven in the playoffs . And as for bobby ryan i think its fair to say the trade talk rumors hes dealt with affected him, he just said today how it was a big relief to finally be traded, prior to that he had 4 consecutive 30+ goal seasons

We wouldnt of given up a 1st and 2 prospects for weiss or alfredsson through a trade and theres a reason for that

alfredsson at 40 yrs old and 5.5 cap hit is way too high (i dont even think selanne made nearly as much money when he was 40) would of rather had him years ago but the fact that hes only one year is more digestable than weiss

It's pretty easy to make these claims when there's no responsibility attached, isn't it?

Speaking of claims with no responsibility attached, I'm still waiting for a link or source about Holland losing interest after watching Ryan in the playoffs.

I don't remember hearing anything of the sort but maybe I missed it.

oh i noticed , you still gotta show up in the regular season so you can make the playoffs and weiss only had 4 pts in 17 games before the injury (funny how you left that out ) and hes still unproven in the playoffs . And as for bobby ryan i think its fair to say the trade talk rumors hes dealt with affected him, he just said today how it was a big relief to finally be traded, prior to that he had 4 consecutive 30+ goal seasons

We wouldnt of given up a 1st and 2 prospects for weiss or alfredsson through a trade and theres a reason for that

alfredsson at 40 yrs old and 5.5 cap hit is way too high (i dont even think selanne made nearly as much money when he was 40) would of rather had him years ago but the fact that hes only one year is more digestable than weiss

Consider this: If we fail to make the playoffs we can trade Alfie to a contender and get a decent pick likely for him - that is a free high pick for us. Weiss is on a moveable contract as well and if we don't need him we could move him as well because he is young enough and has good potential with a bunch of 50+ point seasons with terrible linemates. Also - I doubt the 4 points in 17 games had anything to do with the bum wrist that he ended up getting surgery on... That isn't indicative of how he will play when in Detroit when healthy and with better linemates.

Consider this: If we fail to make the playoffs we can trade Alfie to a contender and get a decent pick likely for him - that is a free high pick for us. Weiss is on a moveable contract as well and if we don't need him we could move him as well because he is young enough and has good potential with a bunch of 50+ point seasons with terrible linemates. Also - I doubt the 4 points in 17 games had anything to do with the bum wrist that he ended up getting surgery on... That isn't indicative of how he will play when in Detroit when healthy and with better linemates.

im sure he will get pts playing with our stars but i dont think it would be as easy as you might think to trade weiss with the long term and cap hit of almost 5

Guest Crymson

Speaking of claims with no responsibility attached, I'm still waiting for a link or source about Holland losing interest after watching Ryan in the playoffs.

I don't remember hearing anything of the sort but maybe I missed it.

It was a rumor, but I'll try to track it down. Until then, lean on the "allegedly" that I deliberately placed within that statement.

Edit: Playmaker found it.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Playmaker

Link?

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 2h

Bobby Ryan off to Ottawa. #RedWings had little interest in Ryan, none after lackluster performance in this year's playoffs against them.

Expand Reply

Retweet