• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Bobby Ryan to Ottawa

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 2h

Bobby Ryan off to Ottawa. #RedWings had little interest in Ryan, none after lackluster performance in this year's playoffs against them.

Expand Reply

Retweet

There it is. Thanks.

Guest Crymson

Oh, her? I feel like someone said she wasn't a very reputable source. :P

Like others have said, St. James is a parrot. Random facts are one thing; sweeping predictions are another entirely. The tidbit in question belongs in the former category.

Thanks for all this attention, by the way.

Edited by Crymson

Like others have said, St. James is a parrot. Random facts are one thing; sweeping predictions are another entirely. The tidbit in question belongs in the former category.

Thanks for all this attention, by the way.

So this one is a fact exactly why other than it helps your case?

When people make comments regarding what Wings players or management have said, I prefer that it's actually backed up with a source is all. But if you needed the attention then I guess that's an added bonus.

Specifically regarding this comment about Ryan, I don't put much stock in it because it's St. James. As you pointed out, she's not a very good source. They very well may have had little interest in Ryan but I put little faith in her actually knowing the real reasons why.

EDIT: To clarify, Ryan has been in the league 6 seasons now and has played a ton of games against the Wings, regular season and playoffs. Holland's decision was most likely on the sum total of what he knows about Ryan and what it would take to acquire him. Not his 6 last playoff games. That sounds like a journalist just throwing out a little tidbit of her own.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 2h

Bobby Ryan off to Ottawa. #RedWings had little interest in Ryan, none after lackluster performance in this year's playoffs against them.

Expand Reply

Retweet

strange because with that kind of logic, we wouldn't have signed Weiss. He didn't exactly light it up last year but now because of one lousy playoffs, we lost interest in Ryan?

strange because with that kind of logic, we wouldn't have signed Weiss. He didn't exactly light it up last year but now because of one lousy playoffs, we lost interest in Ryan?

Agreed. Though Weiss was due to injury.

It's St. James just spouting things off.

If the Wings liked Ryan overall it very well could've been better that he was coming off a crappy playoffs so his value wouldn't be as high.

They very well may not have been interested but I highly doubt his 6 games against the Wings were as big a factor as she's making it sound.

It'll be interesting to see what he does now that he's out of Anaheim and getting a fresh start.

Guest Playmaker

What she said was that the Wings had little or no interest before, but that his playoff performance kind of sealed it. Not really sure why you're totally over reacting to it.

Actually, with that kind of logic, we should not have extended Datsyuk because of his unproductive series against Chicago, right?

I really hope that this is not the reason we passed on Ryan. Would Holland have preferred that Ryan had scored 10 goals against Detroit?

Big, young, great shot, right-handed. Everything I thought Detroit was looking for?

He scored 4 points in that 7 game series. Perry was the one who really sucked. Those numbers aren't bad, especially when you consider how our stars didn't show up against Chicago.

Bit of an overreaction by Holland.

Edited by GMRwings1983

What she said was that the Wings had little or no interest before, but that his playoff performance kind of sealed it. Not really sure why you're totally over reacting to it.

Not sure why you think I'm overreacting.

People use all sorts of reasons to shoot down players coming here. If someone's going to use Holland as one of them, I pretty much don't believe the reasoning unless it's a quote from the man himself. And St. James likes to throw those around a bit on twitter where quoting someone gets a little fuzzy.

More on topic, Crymson used it in the context to say it's more indicative of how Ryan plays now. I disagree and think 6 games isn't very indicative of how someone will play in the future. Especially someone in the situation Ryan had been in.

Honestly I don't know how I would feel about him coming to Detroit. I've never been a huge Ryan fan but he's a scorer and a big body. Like I said it'll be interesting to see how he does on a new team.

Guest Crymson

More on topic, Crymson used it in the context to say it's more indicative of how Ryan plays now. I disagree and think 6 games isn't very indicative of how someone will play in the future. Especially someone in the situation Ryan had been in.

Not really. Fans of the Ducks had been frustrated with Ryan well before the playoffs began. He is inconsistent and often lazy. Much like Franzen, he was the full package until he got his big contract, after which his level of effort dipped noticeably.

He scored 4 points in that 7 game series. Perry was the one who really sucked. Those numbers aren't bad, especially when you consider how our stars didn't show up against Chicago.

Bit of an overreaction by Holland.

He's sold as a goal-scorer. He had two goals, one of which came on the power of that outrageous no-call in game six.

In sum, he was virtually invisible but for a spurt in game three.

Edited by Crymson

Not really. Fans of the Ducks had been frustrated with Ryan well before the playoffs began. He is inconsistent and often lazy. Much like Franzen, he was the full package until he got his big contract, after which his level of effort dipped noticeably.

He's sold as a goal-scorer. He had two goals, one of which came on the power of that outrageous no-call in game six.

corey perry was virtually invisible with 0 goals so you wouldnt take him right, cant give up on someone for one bad playoffs

Yeah but they seem to alternate between hating Getzlaf, Ryan and Perry.

Like I said, I'm not sold on the guy. Lot of great qualities. only 26.

I always wondered if it was the chicken or the egg with his unhappiness and being shopped around by his GM.

Guest Crymson

corey perry was virtually invisible with 0 goals so you wouldnt take him right, cant give up on someone for one bad playoffs

Nobody ever accused Perry of not trying. He was very visible, but not able to score.

Guest Crymson

just making a point that you cant give up on someone just because they didnt put up crazy numbers in one post season

Lack of effort was the problem, not lack of production.

just making a point that you cant give up on someone just because they didnt put up crazy numbers in one post season

I feel I need to insert a mandatory reference to Johan Franzen here...we cannot even give up on someone with three bad playoffs! So why would we sour on Ryan after ONE. I would have loved to have Ryan here, hell I have been formulating trades for a year now, but for some reason Holland wasn't interested...or maybe Anaheim wanted WAY more from Detroit than they settled for from Ottawa...that happens ALL the time.

Guest Playmaker

Actually, with that kind of logic, we should not have extended Datsyuk because of his unproductive series against Chicago, right?

I really hope that this is not the reason we passed on Ryan. Would Holland have preferred that Ryan had scored 10 goals against Detroit?

Big, young, great shot, right-handed. Everything I thought Detroit was looking for?

What would make you think that? The Red Wings want old, small and European.

Guest The Axe

What would make you think that? The Red Wings want old, small and European.

The old/small/euro fettish is annoying.

It was a rumor, but I'll try to track it down. Until then, lean on the "allegedly" that I deliberately placed within that statement.

Edit: Playmaker found it.

Right...that's what I thought "allegedly" was for.

Right...that's what I thought "allegedly" was for.

If someone says they say "allegedly" that doesn't mean you shouldn't provide some idea as to where you heard it.

There's a huge difference between "Bob McKenzie tweeted that Datysuk allegedly wants to go back to Russia" versus "I saw on hfboards they said Datsyuk allegedly wants to go back to Russia." Otherwise anyone can post all kinds of unfounded things about players, both good and bad.

Ken Holland allegedly said Dan Cleary is the best Red Wings player of all time.

:P