• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

strange because with that kind of logic, we wouldn't have signed Weiss. He didn't exactly light it up last year but now because of one lousy playoffs, we lost interest in Ryan?

Actually, with that kind of logic, we should not have extended Datsyuk because of his unproductive series against Chicago, right?

I really hope that this is not the reason we passed on Ryan. Would Holland have preferred that Ryan had scored 10 goals against Detroit?

Big, young, great shot, right-handed. Everything I thought Detroit was looking for?  

#62 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,661 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

He scored 4 points in that 7 game series.  Perry was the one who really sucked.  Those numbers aren't bad, especially when you consider how our stars didn't show up against Chicago.

Bit of an overreaction by Holland.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 July 2013 - 08:06 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

What she said was that the Wings had little or no interest before, but that his playoff performance kind of sealed it. Not really sure why you're totally over reacting to it.

Not sure why you think I'm overreacting.  

People use all sorts of reasons to shoot down players coming here. If someone's going to use Holland as one of them, I pretty much don't believe the reasoning unless it's a quote from the man himself.  And St. James likes to throw those around a bit on twitter where quoting someone gets a little fuzzy.

More on topic, Crymson used it in the context to say it's more indicative of how Ryan plays now.  I disagree and think 6 games isn't very indicative of how someone will play in the future.  Especially someone in the situation Ryan had been in. 

Honestly I don't know how I would feel about him coming to Detroit. I've never been a huge Ryan fan but he's a scorer and a big body.  Like I said it'll be interesting to see how he does on a new team.

#64 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

More on topic, Crymson used it in the context to say it's more indicative of how Ryan plays now.  I disagree and think 6 games isn't very indicative of how someone will play in the future.  Especially someone in the situation Ryan had been in.

Not really. Fans of the Ducks had been frustrated with Ryan well before the playoffs began. He is inconsistent and often lazy. Much like Franzen, he was the full package until he got his big contract, after which his level of effort dipped noticeably.

He scored 4 points in that 7 game series.  Perry was the one who really sucked.  Those numbers aren't bad, especially when you consider how our stars didn't show up against Chicago.

Bit of an overreaction by Holland.  

He's sold as a goal-scorer. He had two goals, one of which came on the power of that outrageous no-call in game six.

In sum, he was virtually invisible but for a spurt in game three.

Edited by Crymson, 05 July 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#65 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Not really. Fans of the Ducks had been frustrated with Ryan well before the playoffs began. He is inconsistent and often lazy. Much like Franzen, he was the full package until he got his big contract, after which his level of effort dipped noticeably.

He's sold as a goal-scorer. He had two goals, one of which came on the power of that outrageous no-call in game six.

corey perry was virtually invisible with 0 goals so you wouldnt take him right, cant give up on  someone for one bad playoffs

#66 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yeah but they seem to alternate between hating Getzlaf, Ryan and Perry. 

Like I said, I'm not sold on the guy.  Lot of great qualities. only 26. 

I always wondered if it was the chicken or the egg with his unhappiness and being shopped around by his GM. 

#67 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

corey perry was virtually invisible with 0 goals so you wouldnt take him right, cant give up on  someone for one bad playoffs

Nobody ever accused Perry of not trying. He was very visible, but not able to score.

#68 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Nobody ever accused Perry of not trying. He was very visible, but not able to score.

just making a point that you cant give up on someone just because they didnt put up crazy numbers in one post season

#69 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

just making a point that you cant give up on someone just because they didnt put up crazy numbers in one post season

Lack of effort was the problem, not lack of production.

#70 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

I feel I need to insert a mandatory reference to Johan Franzen here...we cannot even give up on someone with three bad playoffs! So why would we sour on Ryan after ONE.  I would have loved to have Ryan here, hell I have been formulating trades for a year now, but for some reason Holland wasn't interested...or maybe Anaheim wanted WAY more from Detroit than they settled for from Ottawa...that happens ALL the time.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#71 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Actually, with that kind of logic, we should not have extended Datsyuk because of his unproductive series against Chicago, right?

I really hope that this is not the reason we passed on Ryan. Would Holland have preferred that Ryan had scored 10 goals against Detroit?

Big, young, great shot, right-handed. Everything I thought Detroit was looking for?

What would make you think that? The Red Wings want old, small and European.

#72 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

What would make you think that? The Red Wings want old, small and European.

The old/small/euro fettish is annoying.

#73 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

It was a rumor, but I'll try to track it down. Until then, lean on the "allegedly" that I deliberately placed within that statement.

Edit: Playmaker found it.

Right...that's what I thought "allegedly" was for.

#74 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

At this point, Ottawa will look something like this:

Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
Zibanejad-Turris-MacArthur
Conacher-Pageau-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Gryba
Phillips-Wiercioch
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#75 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Right...that's what I thought "allegedly" was for.

If someone says they say "allegedly" that doesn't mean you shouldn't provide some idea as to where you heard it.  

There's a huge difference between "Bob McKenzie tweeted that Datysuk allegedly wants to go back to Russia" versus "I saw on hfboards they said Datsyuk allegedly wants to go back to Russia."    Otherwise anyone can post all kinds of unfounded things about players, both good and bad. 

Ken Holland allegedly said Dan Cleary is the best Red Wings player of all time. 

:P

#76 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Kinda fun to look back at some of these threads, what with hindsight and all.

#77 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

It's funny because the asking price would have been Nyquist++ and Nyquist alone has outscored Ryan this season. +1 Kenny.

#78 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:40 PM

I'm on the nyquist bandwagon right now but half season doesn't define a player.

#79 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

I'm on the nyquist bandwagon right now but half season doesn't define a player.

Ryan is overrated to being with, I'm glad Detroit didn't pursue him for Nyquist+. He has scored over 60 points once in his career while playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Ottawa lost this trade big time. Anaheim got a top 12 pick, Silfverberg and a prospect.

Bobby Ryan last 4 years including his best season.

206 points in 296 games and +25.

Edited by darkmanx, 11 April 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#80 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

Ryan is overrated to being with, I'm glad Detroit didn't pursue him for Nyquist+. He has scored over 60 points once in his career while playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Ottawa lost this trade big time. Anaheim got a top 12 pick, Silfverberg and a prospect.

Bobby Ryan last 4 years including his best season.

206 points in 296 games and +25.

You're missing a few things though. First dat and/or z are better setup guys IMO than getZlaf or perry. And two...Ryan is a player that fills a position of need a power forward. We need to fill before we will compete for the cup again IMO.

Let's also not forget he had a serious sickness that affected his play a year ago and now is on a worse team.

I won't say nyquist is or will be a better player until nyquist has played more games. But if given the chance to make that trade I would've. It's a deal that involved a proven known player for prospects. It's like the Alexander and smoltz deal. Some clueless people say they regret it...but at the end of the day Alexander helped the tigers in lot the playoffs which they wanted and smoltz had a hell of career which Atlanta wanted. Deals like that HAVE to be made at certain times. BUT not all the time. A few here and there is a good thing to do.

Edited by DeGraa55, 11 April 2014 - 03:39 AM.