• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DeGraa55

is anyone happy right now?

Rate this topic

Wings offered Cleary 2.5 million for 3 seasons, GIVE THAT SAME DEAL TO BRUNNER.

The rumors are the Wings offered him 3 years, no dollar amount was stated but since 2.5 is the number all the experts are throwing out there, lets say they offered him 3 years at 2.5 or 2.25 and go with everyone's favorite canned statement "Holland Low Balled Him".

He still told them just before noon he wanted to test the market, at that point (with the taste of last years UFA period) I would have filled the roster as soon as I could too.

He can tell the Wings he wants to come back all he wants, once he tests the market all bets are off.

I know he told Holland he would have the chance to match or beat, but this kid is not the type of player that wields that big of a sword yet to do that!

Okay? He's still 2nd/3rd liner who averages 17 goals a season who got over 5 million.

No, on top lines he is a 30 goal scorer. Look at his lines and the progression of his points. Nah nevermind. Mute point anyway.

It's gonna take time for me to decide whether I'm happy about this off-season so far. I don't blame Filppula for sticking to his asking price, after all it is a business, but for everyone to be celebrating his departure when his replacement is a whopping $100k less per season is a bit ridiculous IMHO. Elsewhere, Alfredsson is an upgrade over Cleary, at least in terms of offensive production and the intangible "let's win the Cup for X veteran who has never won" factor. I'm not happy that Samuelsson scammed us out of a compliance buyout, I think we should just waive him and eat the cap hit. Also not happy about Brunner, nothing is official yet but it's sounding more and more likely that he's gone.

As of right now, I feel as though the Wings made some lateral moves, replacing players that I really liked with players that I could care less about. I also don't fault Holland for trades that the Wings may not have been able to make. Whatever else may happen, I'll be happy if Cleary and/or Samuelsson are not at our training camp. Ultimately I'm a fan of the Detroit Red Wings, so I'll support whoever is in the lineup.

Guest The Axe

No, on top lines he is a 30 goal scorer. Look at his lines and the progression of his points. Nah nevermind. Mute point anyway.

"Moot"

Looking at next years free agent crop I'm actually happy we are resisting a lot of these big contracts. We are going to have over $20 million in cap space with 12 players signed and allow us to go after a couple big fish and make room for our young guys. Love the Alfie signing now!

...and still no goal scorer. I long for a goal scorer. You know, the kind that consistently scores goals. Other than that, happy about Weiss and not thrilled about anything else. I guess we'll have to see how things go, but again...goal scorer?

Pure speculation.

One good season does not make him a legit 30 goal scorer.

As stated by other Cheechoo scored 56 once, want him on the Wings still?

The list of one year wonders goes on eternal, especially guys who do it in a contract year!

...and still no goal scorer. I long for a goal scorer. You know, the kind that consistently scores goals. Other than that, happy about Weiss and not thrilled about anything else. I guess we'll have to see how things go, but again...goal scorer?

Not to beat a dead horse, but that is what Mule is supposed to be for!

I'm somewhat indifferent. I see positives and negatives to what's gone on today.

Alfredsson is a descent pickup for one year, but I think it would've been better to go after Lecavalier.

Weiss at $4.9 is fine in a world where Flip makes $5 million. Even if it's very much a lateral move that could go either way, I think Flip needed a change of scenery, and I think he knew that when he demanded the money he did. He likely knew the Wings wouldn't pay, and he knew he wanted a bigger role, and it wasn't going to happen here. Maybe that's why he struggled. He wasn't going to get that bigger role so long as Dats and Z is here, so it makes sense now to try something new for both sides, and again, Weiss is a totally reasonable replacement that could be an improvement, could be a downgrade, or could end up being pretty much the same. I shrug at this move, but again, I'm glad a hole was plugged for a change, so there's that.

I don't like not going after Brunner hard. I don't know how it all plays out, but my gut reaction is that it's not the smartest of moves.

If we find a way to sign Cleary for dirt cheap and he takes a lesser role, I think it'll be a move that frustrates many now, but will pay off come spring.

I still think we really need to try to add a solid defenseman somehow, and given our wealth of forwards and need to move some of them, hopefully we can swing something. When your top guy leads the league in penalty minutes for defensemen, you really could use another "top guy" that's a bit more level headed to lead that defense. Doesn't have to be a star, but if we want to make a serious run, having someone reliable that you can instantly plug into your top-4 would be really great to have right now.

Pure speculation.

One good season does not make him a legit 30 goal scorer.

As stated by other Cheechoo scored 56 once, want him on the Wings still?

The list of one year wonders goes on eternal, especially guys who do it in a contract year!

Not to beat a dead horse, but that is what Mule is supposed to be for!

You're beating a lazy mule actually.

I don't blame Filppula for sticking to his asking price, after all it is a business, but for everyone to be celebrating his departure when his replacement is a whopping $100k less per season is a bit ridiculous IMHO.

The fact the Wings decided to sign "a devil that they don't know" instead of Filppula for almost the same amount of money speaks for itself....Weiss >>Filppula

Alfredsson has a great shot

The fact the Wings decided to sign "a devil that they don't know" instead of Filppula for almost the same amount of money speaks for itself....Weiss >>Filppula

When you have the career you've had thus far with the Wings, including all the disappointments and frustrations, and you demand a long term deal for $5.5 million because you believe you're "worth 1st line center money," I think that's you telling the Wings it's time to move on. Flip was never going to get the role he wanted on this team. The big mistake was not trading him 2-3 years ago when the situation was no different and he was our best trade asset.

Edited by gcom007

Are you sure it's not a moo point? Like in a cow's opinion, because a cow's opinion doesn't matter? Try moot.

On topic, happy enough with today but I'll reserve full judgment until the roster shakes out in camp with trades, waivers, etc. Think the bottom sixers & rookies will be battling it out for spots up until the last minute. Wouldn't be surprised if any of Bert, Sammy, Eaves, Tootoo, Emmerton, or even on an outside chance Miller not making the team. By the same token, I wouldn't be shocked to see Tatar packaged up & traded off either. We'll see come September.

Edit: News that also makes me happy, Glendening's play in GR just earned him an upgrade from the GR only contract to one with the Wings today. Nice to see hard work pay off.

DETROIT SIGNS GLENDENING: The Red Wings on Friday signed forward Luke... http://19FTW.in/3cbprd via @griffinshockey #NHL #RedWings

Edited by ogreslayer

I'm pretty darned happy today. I think we got what we needed for a very fair price up front. Lots of depth. That's what used to make the Red Wings so good in the Bowman Cup years, fours lines PLUS worth of guys ready willing and able to get the job done. Competition to get into the lineup will push all the third and fourth liners.

I'd also like to say that after listening to so many fans last year say Detroit had lost all its luster as a free agent destination because of the Suter and Parise decisions; I guess one offseason before a nasty lockout isn't a trend now is it?

Edited by Jersey Wing

Holland delivered imo. He didn't overpay for Weiss or Alfie and we get scorers. I feel we're way deeper than last season.

Best case scenario we're way deeper than last year. Worse case scenario? Weiss doesn't recover from his injury and provides no more offense than Flip did, and Alfredsson plays like he's a 40 year old. Again, it could be worse (I especially think Weiss will be good) but just once I'd like a slam dunk at the trade deadline or in free agency. The type where I don't have to play "what if" constantly and can rest assured that in all probability player x will produce for us.

I think we are very well set for the 2015/2016 season. With Bert, Sammy, Alfie, Eaves, Monster, Quincey all coming off the books we have a nice chance to inject some youth such as Jarnkrok, Pulks, Sheahan, Ferraro if they show that they are capable of being in the NHL. Otherwise we can sign 1 year plugs for the year. We will have plenty of cap space left over as well during that year to re-sign big E. I cannot understate the importance that Weiss doesn't have a NTC/NMC as we may need to make room for Jarnkrok at centre in the future (Jarnkrok will start at wing likely) and Weiss' contract looks moveable if he stays at least a 50+ point guy.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Abdelkader-Weiss-Alfredsson

Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner

Miller-Helm-Bertuzzi

Emmerton-Tootoo

Ericsson-Kronwall

Quincy-Kindl

Dekeyser-Smith

Lashoff

Assuming they keep Tatar on the top line in Grand Rapids... I'd rather see him get top minutes there and solidify is game than to play third-line minutes in Detroit... I just want them to find a way to keep Brunner. His game is already on par with Samuelsson and his upside is a LOT higher. The Red Wings should file a grievance against Samuelsson in regards to his "injury" that won't allow them to use a buyout.

Guest Kronstantinov

Or a big body that can play on the top 6.

Tatar is out of opt he can't ay in GR he is playing or he is gone

Alfredsson can STILL play, it's a great signing.your worried about a T-shirt or is it Filps your sad about either way don't waist your time

10000000x better than last offseason already.

Except now I need a new wings t shirt :(

Val's gonnneeee :(

I think Weiss is a fantastic signing. The guy has put up solid numbers during his career, playing with a bottom dwelling team. I also firmly believe he might be the answer to try and kick-start the Mule as he's a better playmaker than Fil is. Alfie SHOULD help the top PP as we'll finally have a right-handed shot (a pretty good one at that) on the back end. He proved he's still got some in the tank last year with a decent regular season and lead his team in the playoffs. Not only that but he adds great leadership and experience for players like Andersson and Nyquist (fellow swedes).

All in all I'm quite happy with what went down. Losing Brunner sucks but we've already got too many forwards as it is(some sort of trade?). Sounds like Cleary will likely stick around and as long as the money isn't too high I'm okay with that. Just leave him on the 3rd or 4th line please.

Edited by gurnsy200

Tatar is out of opt he can't ay in GR he is playing or he is gone

We need to start a thread of facts that people need to read before posting. People keep saying Nyquist and Tatar can play in GR but they are out of options. People still think we can bury guy's contracts - not true. People still think amnesties are only for people with salary over 3mill - not true. People still think we can amnesty a player this year - not true, have to wait till next year. People hate on holland for not buying out sammy - sammy blocked that by saying he is injured and can't be bought out.