• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DeGraa55

is anyone happy right now?

Rate this topic

Just for the record, had we signed Parros today on top of these other moves, I'd have been fully content with everything Holland did, and would have written him a heartfelt personal thank you note.

While Parros would be great, I'd prefer McGrattan his deadstare is really something else and I'd love seeing his salute to the crowd in a winged wheel. This guy is as mean and tough as it comes, heck one of the few guys in this league who is willing to drop the gloves against the Penguins T-Rex known as MacIntyre.

Orr can look forward to this

although I never like to see enforcers getting seriously hurt, because they are giving their health each game for their teammates and provide an element of integrity to the sport we all love.

Needs that need to be filled:

size - who is outthere?

enforcer - no brainer Wings are now in a division with Orr, McLaren, Frazer, Thornton, Lucic, Scott, Chara, Jensen, Bouilton, Prust, Parros, Macintyre, Engelland thats probably 80 % of the top 10 enforcers in the whole league so better get some protection for the players soon.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest Playmaker

Helm has been declared healthy and ready to play before. It's when he starts playing that's the problem.

Supposedly, Morrow and Iginla's motivation to win the Cup was supposed to put the Pens over the top. I don't know why anyone thinks Alfredsson wanting to win a cup is any different.

I guess my whole issue is that for the past few seasons, we keep hearing, oh just wait, Kenny Holland is making these conservative moves to plan for the future so we can sign that big free agent or make that big move. But it never comes. Or it's, just wait till these kids in Grand Rapids get in the lineup. But no, they're not ready until they're 25 and then they have to play a few seasons on the 3rd or 4th line to prove you are NHL worthy.

Maybe I'm forgetting, but have the Wings made any kind of significant trade since the Shanahan trade in the 96/97 season?

Guest DeGraa55

Helm has been declared healthy and ready to play before. It's when he starts playing that's the problem.Supposedly, Morrow and Iginla's motivation to win the Cup was supposed to put the Pens over the top. I don't know why anyone thinks Alfredsson wanting to win a cup is any different.I guess my whole issue is that for the past few seasons, we keep hearing, oh just wait, Kenny Holland is making these conservative moves to plan for the future so we can sign that big free agent or make that big move. But it never comes. Or it's, just wait till these kids in Grand Rapids get in the lineup. But no, they're not ready until they're 25 and then they have to play a few seasons on the 3rd or 4th line to prove you are NHL worthy.Maybe I'm forgetting, but have the Wings made any kind of significant trade since the Shanahan trade in the 96/97 season?

A 1st for Quincey duh. How can you forget?

This offseason was PERFECT. Next years crop is fantastic...Perfect set up for next year. (Bert, Sammy, Alfie, Quincey off books)

This team will contend for the East.

No travel for our "aging" stars = healthier, faster team.
We're going to be a problem for most teams in the east

Especially a potential line of

Tatar - Helm - NyQuist

:w00t2:

Maybe I'm forgetting, but have the Wings made any kind of significant trade since the Shanahan trade in the 96/97 season?

That one goalie Holland traded for was pretty good...Can't remember his name...Dom something? Think he had a few good games.

13.dominik-hasek-08cup.jpg

Personally, I think these two moves were briliant.

Bringing in Alfie finally gives us a 2nd PP unit that is a legitimate scoring threat. That was the main issue with the PP last season, other teams could throw their shutdown PK unit at our first PP and there was a slim chance the 2nd would produce anything.

And Weiss is a better center than Fil in every category. He's coming from a team with glaring short comings and produced, Fil was only a threat when he was paired with Datsyuk. On top of that, Weiss is FAR better at faceoffs.

That one goalie Holland traded for was pretty good...Can't remember his name...Dom something? Think he had a few good games.

When he wasn't faking groin injuries.

I'm pleased with what the team has done so far. They're better and along with the young guys and the move to the East it sets up well for a strong season and another playoff run.

Edited by Phil Lesh

Signing Alfie, brings leadership, skill, and experience to the locker room and ice. He is still good for around 20-25 goals.

I think Weiss will flourish here, he will show flip how to play with good line-mates, and the only category flip has him beat in is back-checking but Weiss is better every other way.

Sign Nyquist, Andy, and Smith and I think this team seriously is a cup contender again. Let's win that cup for Alfie that he always wanted, and make Flip regret being so greedy and walking.

Bringing in Alfie finally gives us a 2nd PP unit that is a legitimate scoring threat. That was the main issue with the PP last season, other teams could throw their shutdown PK unit at our first PP and there was a slim chance the 2nd would produce anything.

And Weiss is a better center than Fil in every category. He's coming from a team with glaring short comings and produced, Fil was only a threat when he was paired with Datsyuk Zetterberg. On top of that, Weiss is FAR better at faceoffs.

Fixed.

I never liked that deal much. I don't think he put us over the top in 2002, and I do think Osgood would've been able to pull it off without a hitch. He did it twice with lesser teams than that ridiculous 2002 squad. But that trade sent Kozlov, who was always a solid playoff performer for us, packing. It also introduced the era featuring the only drama this team has had to deal with internally in a long time. If we had stuck with Osgood and kept Kozlov, I think we would've won even more Cups in that period, to be completely honest.

That said, given how many issues Dom has had in his career, I thought he handled his final ousting a few years ago with a tremendous amount of class and I was happy to see him be able to retire from the NHL raising the Cup with such a sincere smile on his face. He could've easily become a locker room distraction after getting pulled, but he really was a class act throughout that run where he was forced to play a backup role.

So again, hell of a career, but I honestly wish the Wings had skipped being a part of it in some ways.

Edited by gcom007

I didn't expect to see LGW divided on these moves.

After Filppula's play last playoffs I'm surprised so many people are pissed that he left. He was invisible and had a worse series against Chicago than Smith who was everybody's favorite whipping boy. Brunner kind of sucks to lose but I don't think he's anything special that we can't make up for.

Guest Playmaker

Fair enough. But it's been quite some time. I loved the Brad Stuart trade, but I was thinking along the lines of trading an active roster player as opposed to draft pick type trades. Even with the Primeau trade, he mostly forced the Wings hand, otherwise I don't think the trade ever would have happened.

I'm generally not a Holland basher, but at times, I do wish he was a bit more aggressive or took a risk or two here and there. I'm a Tiger fan as well, and I look at the guys they've gotten through trades, Cabrera, Scherzer, Sanchez, Infante, Jackson, Peralta, Fister and really, none of the "can't miss prospects" have amounted to much of anything. Granderson is solid, but I don't think anyone would give back Scherzer and Jackson for him.

Fair enough. But it's been quite some time. I loved the Brad Stuart trade, but I was thinking along the lines of trading an active roster player as opposed to draft pick type trades. Even with the Primeau trade, he mostly forced the Wings hand, otherwise I don't think the trade ever would have happened.

I'm generally not a Holland basher, but at times, I do wish he was a bit more aggressive or took a risk or two here and there. I'm a Tiger fan as well, and I look at the guys they've gotten through trades, Cabrera, Scherzer, Sanchez, Infante, Jackson, Peralta, Fister and really, none of the "can't miss prospects" have amounted to much of anything. Granderson is solid, but I don't think anyone would give back Scherzer and Jackson for him.

Difference is, our "can't miss prospects" are guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, Frk, Jurko, Ouellet, Sproul. Most of those guys will either be top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen, oh and then there is DK

Helm has been declared healthy and ready to play before. It's when he starts playing that's the problem.

Supposedly, Morrow and Iginla's motivation to win the Cup was supposed to put the Pens over the top. I don't know why anyone thinks Alfredsson wanting to win a cup is any different.

I guess my whole issue is that for the past few seasons, we keep hearing, oh just wait, Kenny Holland is making these conservative moves to plan for the future so we can sign that big free agent or make that big move. But it never comes. Or it's, just wait till these kids in Grand Rapids get in the lineup. But no, they're not ready until they're 25 and then they have to play a few seasons on the 3rd or 4th line to prove you are NHL worthy.

But, but, but...the only reason the Wings won their last Cup is because Dallas Drake wanted it so just wanting it badly enough works right? I thought that was already proved here on LGW or does that only work if you're in the twilight of your career & sign with Detroit?

/sarcasm

Edited by ogreslayer

They went to a team with terrible defense, terrible leadership, and players with a giant overly inflated sense of self entitlement, that is why they did not win a cup, not because the want was not there.

We know we have much better leadership in hockeytown, hard work and determination, and everyone who puts the winged wheel on puts aside their own personal ego or they don't play. Alfie and Weiss wanting a cup just may be what we need to push us over the top, we were pretty damn close to the conference finals last year with a worse team, with less experience. Now we have more experience and we beefed up, we are bringing Stanley home in 2013-2014, mark it!

Edit: How many people have complained about how this team has become stagnant over the past few years? Kenny has finally shaken things up, he has brought up some youth, drafted all 6' + prospects this year, and he has brought in a better center to fill fils skates, and a still very good winger in Alfie. But there is no winning over the LGW armchair gm's right...

Edited by Euro_Twins

Guest The Axe

If you put Bertuzzi/Sammy/Tootoo aside, how can you not be happy?

2 of our 5th wheels are gone (White and Colo).

Weiss replace Filppula, so thats a break even at worst.

Alfredsson replaced Brunner, so thats a big boost for ONE season.

Tatar, Helm, and Dekeyser are basically adds.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Alfredsson

Tatar-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Nyquist-Weiss-Andersson

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Tootoo/Bert (Emmerton traded-argggggg)

Kronwall-Ericsson

Smith-Quincey

Kindl-DeKeyser

Lashoff

Howard

Gustavsson

If Holland can find a way to remove Bertuzzi/Sammy/Tootoo and add Brunner, he will have done everything we could have asked for during the FA period.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Alfredsson

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Brunner

Tatar-Weiss-Nyquist

Andersson-Helm-Miller

Emmerton/Eaves

Kronwall-Ericsson

Smith-Quincey

Kindl-Dekeyser

Lashoff

Howard

Gustavsson

Hell YES.

Edited by The Axe

Happy about:

Flip leaving

OK with:

Alf signing but I would rather go with the youngsters instead of aging vets.

Pissed about:

Holland giving Bert and Sammy 2 year deals and NTCs that are keeping this team from adding real pieces to the SC puzzle.

Sammy and Bert are still on this team.

Sammy playing the injured card.

Brunner didn't want to come back.

For some unknown reason Holland still chasing after Cleary.

Guest Playmaker

Difference is, our "can't miss prospects" are guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, Frk, Jurko, Ouellet, Sproul. Most of those guys will either be top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen, oh and then there is DK

Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin were both #1 picks and considered to be future solid major leaguers, if not stars. Jacob Turner is considered a solid prospect and major league ready. Granderson was a fan favorite and a productive major leaguer.

I can guarantee you that not all of those guys will be top 6 forwards or top 4 D. The latter 4 prospects are still years away. As of now, the Wings don't have a decent offensive defenseman who can QB the PP. Kronwall is clearly not a #1 defenseman and like most on the blue line, were made to look better than they are by #5. They don't have a pure goal scoring winger. So do you wait 3 or 4 years hoping these guys reach their potential or make a trade for a solid player who can help right now?

Guest Playmaker

They went to a team with terrible defense, terrible leadership, and players with a giant overly inflated sense of self entitlement, that is why they did not win a cup, not because the want was not there.

We know we have much better leadership in hockeytown, hard work and determination, and everyone who puts the winged wheel on puts aside their own personal ego or they don't play. Alfie and Weiss wanting a cup just may be what we need to push us over the top, we were pretty damn close to the conference finals last year with a worse team, with less experience. Now we have more experience and we beefed up, we are bringing Stanley home in 2013-2014, mark it!

Edit: How many people have complained about how this team has become stagnant over the past few years? Kenny has finally shaken things up, he has brought up some youth, drafted all 6' + prospects this year, and he has brought in a better center to fill fils skates, and a still very good winger in Alfie. But there is no winning over the LGW armchair gm's right...

Oh, right, of course. Every other team has a sense of entitlement and the Wings just have players who are leaders and work hard.

The only reason Andersson, Nyquist, Smith, etc were in the lineup is because of the staggering amount of injuries. If White and Carlo and the other players hadn't been hurt, they'd still be in the lineup and those other guys would still be ripening in in GR.

If Filppula's contract hadn't expired, he'd still be in the lineup. I don't really feel like signing an elderly Swede and a second line center and buying out CC as drastic changes.

The Wings are still lacking an offensive defenseman who can QB the PP, they still don't have a pure goal scoring winger, they still lack size and speed. We're still stuck with overpaid, injury prone vets. Is this offseason better than last offseason. Probably, but that's not saying much.

And Weiss is a better center than Fil in every category. He's coming from a team with glaring short comings and produced, Fil was only a threat when he was paired with Datsyuk. On top of that, Weiss is FAR better at faceoffs.

Weis also is not afraid to shoot, something that terrified Fils at times.

Oh, right, of course. Every other team has a sense of entitlement and the Wings just have players who are leaders and work hard.

The only reason Andersson, Nyquist, Smith, etc were in the lineup is because of the staggering amount of injuries. If White and Carlo and the other players hadn't been hurt, they'd still be in the lineup and those other guys would still be ripening in in GR.

If Filppula's contract hadn't expired, he'd still be in the lineup. I don't really feel like signing an elderly Swede and a second line center and buying out CC as drastic changes.

The Wings are still lacking an offensive defenseman who can QB the PP, they still don't have a pure goal scoring winger, they still lack size and speed. We're still stuck with overpaid, injury prone vets. Is this offseason better than last offseason. Probably, but that's not saying much.

When did . Say every team has a sense of entitlement? Please quote me, I recall saying the penguins have a sense of entitlement, which is very true.

While Parros would be great, I'd prefer McGrattan his deadstare is really something else and I'd love seeing his salute to the crowd in a winged wheel. This guy is as mean and tough as it comes, heck one of the few guys in this league who is willing to drop the gloves against the Penguins T-Rex known as MacIntyre.

Orr can look forward to this

although I never like to see enforcers getting seriously hurt, because they are giving their health each game for their teammates and provide an element of integrity to the sport we all love.

Needs that need to be filled:

size - who is outthere?

enforcer - no brainer Wings are now in a division with Orr, McLaren, Frazer, Thornton, Lucic, Scott, Chara, Jensen, Bouilton, Prust, Parros, Macintyre, Engelland thats probably 80 % of the top 10 enforcers in the whole league so better get some protection for the players soon.

Yeah, I'd like to see us get bigger and tougher to play against. That's how I've felt for the last 10 years, though. This year more than ever, we'll see how important it is to have toughness and how these teams play against us.

I'm ecstatic. Holland is the best GM in all of sports. Holland doesn't overpay to sign free agents. I like both contracts.

I'd rather overpay for good players than pay for crap we don't need, like Samuelsson or Williams. He overpaid for Quincey (a trade, but still overpayment), and signed Tootoo for no apparent reason. We didn't really need Carlo Coca Cola either, now that he's gone after a few games.

Last year our goal was to make the playoffs, this year it's to WIN THE CUP. Happy? YES

You think we're one of the Cup favorites?

I don't see it. We can make a playoff run, but I don't think we have enough talent or grit in the end.