Guest DeGraa55

is anyone happy right now?

Rate this topic

Was that sarcasm?

You forgot Brunner and no.

Fil>Weiss

Cleary and Brunner>Alfie.

Was that sarcasm?

Good God, I was hoping sarcasm too. I love that 2 players can somehow be greater than or equal to 1 single player. My brain exploded thinking about: "maybe its contracts, maybe i'm not seeing something." Then I saw stillwater post. I was appeased. I'm pissed we lost Fil, as he could have helped us get a great pick on Waivers. Or just won the Grif's another Title. Anywho, Brunner is overrated. Alfie is overrated with like 426 goals or Steph(ve) Weiss(erman), I really don't know about because he played for a team that played home games in 'God's Waiting Room". Anyone can do well there ... Kopecky, ring a bell? Although his youtube package is within ranks of the great Pavel Bure and Bob Probert (Viceversa?) I just hope the Wings Sign a BIG FIGHTER to bash people's craniums, OR ELSE we are never going to win the Cup and we should FIRE HOLLAND!

(Hey guys, just my intro to the forums. I know I will have to explain the dry humor eventually, but I figure i'll mention it for people not contextually hint savy ;p I truly love hockey and the Detroit Red Wings. They are the first loves and only loves of my life and I believe I share a pretty intelligent but unique view on NHL activities. Line Configurations, Plays, Commentators, Overpaid Players, Overhyped things, maybe I'm a hater? NO! I grew up in and around the Joe continue to go to there as a Stress Management tool...AGHH ANGRY! I will be here a lot more often, any criticism of me is straight...but don't hate on Pavel Datsyuk or Sean Avery and you're straight in my book.

I never liked that deal much. I don't think he put us over the top in 2002, and I do think Osgood would've been able to pull it off without a hitch. He did it twice with lesser teams than that ridiculous 2002 squad. But that trade sent Kozlov, who was always a solid playoff performer for us, packing. It also introduced the era featuring the only drama this team has had to deal with internally in a long time. If we had stuck with Osgood and kept Kozlov, I think we would've won even more Cups in that period, to be completely honest.

That said, given how many issues Dom has had in his career, I thought he handled his final ousting a few years ago with a tremendous amount of class and I was happy to see him be able to retire from the NHL raising the Cup with such a sincere smile on his face. He could've easily become a locker room distraction after getting pulled, but he really was a class act throughout that run where he was forced to play a backup role.

So again, hell of a career, but I honestly wish the Wings had skipped being a part of it in some ways.

I respect your opinion but I think your way off.

I love Kozlov but Dom set the shutouts record that playoff. Not to mention the near impossible to quantify theory that a team plays much more confident in front of a stellar goaltender (which Osgood was not).

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think too many fans are remembering the Wings team that was up 3-1 on the Hawks, not the lethargic, offensively challenged team we saw for most of the season that couldn't score on the PP, that couldn't get the big PK when needed, that couldn't clear the zone.

Zetterberg looked like a HOF'er the first 10 games and the last 10 games, but in between he was decidedly average. Pavel had some great highlights from last season, but he was a notch below what he once was and won't likely be that player again. Will we ever seen the Franzen of the 2008 playoffs again? Who knows.

Ok...cmon. Pav was a point per game highlight machine (TSN's play of the year vote was Datsyuk vs Datsyuk). He dominated this year. He had a less productive playoff but he by no means regressed.

People give Holland crap when he stands pat, and they give him crap when he makes moves. Can't please everyone.

Personally, I love the moves this off-season. Shaping up to be the best Wings roster in several years, and it seems like there are still a few more moves to come - either trades or just shedding weight.

The latest news on Helm is encouraging and DeKeyser should be back as well. Call me crazy, but things are looking pretty good for next season, I can't wait.

Thank you. Agreed.

Ok...cmon. Pav was a point per game highlight machine (TSN's play of the year vote was Datsyuk vs Datsyuk). He dominated this year. He had a less productive playoff but he by no means regressed.

For Pavs standards it was an above average year for him but not a stellar season.

Is it me or does it seem that everyone in our division/conference next season has made the most noise this off season?

Something to think about

Bostons roster has crumbled, and most other teams have just filled holes that opened this off season I.e. Tampa picking up flip. I believe us to be the best team in our division, but we will see. I like our off season moves. Still wish we 're signed Brunner but we will be ok

I'm actually pretty happy with what happened on 7/5. You'd have to be stuck in 2002 to not see how that was a successful day for the Wings. Even if Brunner ends up being a casualty, they had to get down to the lower cap figure AND replace two fairly key guys (Flip and Brunner, Cleary to a lesser degree) with decent options through free agency. Filppula obviously had motivations beyond just money and wearing the Winged Wheel, so I thank him for his service and wish him well. We don't know know what will end up happening with Brunner, but I doubt we could have signed him long-term, or would even have wanted to. Even a 40-year old Alfredsson is probably more of an impact player next year than Brunner will be.

No, I don't think Steven Weiss is awesome, but do I think he can be as effective, or possibly more effective, as a second line center than Filppula? Yes. And that cap hit given the competition and the insanity happening all over free agency is very manageable.

I'm actually okay rolling with the young defense options that emerged this year, as opposed to paying $5 million a year for some broken down 34-year-old. Nyquist is an intriguing two-way player, Andersson has size plus versatility, and Tatar might be more talented than than any of them.

I'm excited for next year.

Is everyone STILL happy with this current roster of junk?

I wasn't happy back then and for sure not happy right now. It still boggles my mind how you can play hardball with a guy like Brunner - who at least provided offense - something this team lacked for a long time now and sign a player, who comes back from a serious injury and someone who is more than just over the hill.

All that while the players responsible for the playoff run are sitting on the bench or in the AHL watching a slow and boring to watch one line team.

This team is beyond pathetic. The only line that is even worth turning the television on to watch is the 1st one. The second line...pathetic, 3rd line ...really pathetic....4th line...what a waste of space all 3 of them are. This roster is shackled with s*** that s*** being Franzen, Cleary who still falls down every 2 seconds, samuelson and Alfie has been awful.

This team is beyond pathetic. The only line that is even worth turning the television on to watch is the 1st one. The second line...pathetic, 3rd line ...really pathetic....4th line...what a waste of space all 3 of them are. This roster is shackled with s*** that s*** being Franzen, Cleary who still falls down every 2 seconds, samuelson and Alfie has been awful.

You're a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

I'm not happy that we lost but I'm pretty sure the sky isn't falling.

You're a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

I'm not happy that we lost but I'm pretty sure the sky isn't falling.

I think everyone expected an upgrade from the team that only squeaked into the playoffs last season and overachieved big time to force a game 7 with Chicago. Other than DD (which we already had), the verdict is still out on that.

Guest mjtm77

I think everyone expected an upgrade from the team that only squeaked into the playoffs last season and overachieved big time to force a game 7 with Chicago. Other than DD (which we already had), the verdict is still out on that.

Chill out. We didn't over archive. We played well when we had to. And this season is still early. We' are ONLY 4 GAMES IN. Sure we are paying like complete garbage now but it doesn't mean that Letsgowings has to freak out like they do every year. The only move I'm not sure about is Filpulla for weiss. Although filp was critiziest Offen around here, I think we will miss his speed and puck skill. He was like a mini datsyuk in a small way. Even tho Daniel alfredsson has looked crap tastic he is too good and has too much pride to play like that the whole year. He is in a new envorinment and it has not clicked yet. He is a known slow starter and should catch his stride. He won't be amazing but be he will end up being a good pick up. As for Weiss we really don't know what we have in him It is simply too early in the season to tell. Something that baffles all of our minds is that we can't ice a third line of Nyquist Andersson Tatar. The youth played great last year. Seems so stupid not to do that. But fact is we do and it's frustrating. All of you need to stop stop freaking out WE ARE 4 GAMES IN. This happens every year and We have too much pride with our managment, coaching staff and players to give up. Zetterberg and Datsyuk will bring it when they have to. They have shown it. Everbody chill out We will be fine

Edited by mjtm77

Guest DeGraa55

Still ain't happy. Where is Tatar and Nyquist!? Why is Smith and Cleary allowed on the ice?

Smith still hasn't even played a full season so benching himmakes no sense especially when he has shown he has the skill...but I agree with the rest.

I don't even know what to add to this post. I think we have the capabilities to ice a good team but we just aren't playing the right guys. I just have no idea how to wrap my head around why Nyquist and Tatar aren't playing. It's just absolutely baffling. The little bit of ice time Tatar has seen this year was wasted on a 4th line role. How can you even tell a kid ok here is your chance, you are going to play a 4th line role with checkers for the first time in your hockey career. It is just amazing.. When if at all do we see these kids take on a real role for this team? How can you put a talent like Tatar in the press box?? He needs ice time. I'm at a loss for this one, I tried to be patient but this is a joke.

Look at Montreal's third line with the young guns.. Worked for them, worked for us last year.. What's the issue here?

It's not about coming out of the gate on fire. Sure everyone likes to have a good start.

But instead of starting hot like years past and then fading, like San Jose, I'd rather take some time and get hot later in the year going into the playoffs. If we have a season similar to last year and then get hot going into the playoffs, I'm good with that.

Edited by T.Low

Mike Babcock is a very good coach but he does have some faults. He hands out way too many free passes (roster spots) to players that are not playing well. Cleary should not have been brought back even for free because we have younger and more talanted guys ready to come up. Smith is young and will make a ton of mistakes but he still needs to be reminded that he will sit if he plays like crap from time to time. Babs needs to get tougher on this team and make his players earn their spots.

Wait, You're asking LGW if anyone's happy?

WE'RE NEVER HAPPY ON HERE!

I would be perfectly happy if Cleary wasn't signed and Tatar and Nyquist were flanking Andersson to make a 3rd line with some skill and identity. Instead, our bottom 6 is a revolving door of scrubs and Franzen is basically junk in the top 6. Anyone who wants to stick up for him at this point.....we've played 4 games, 1 against an elite team, the rest scrubs we should mop the floor with. Franzen has 0 goals, which is not what we need from our "main sniper" who is supposed to pace himself for 30 goals. Maybe he should go to a scoring area and put his stick on the ice, instead of cancelling our PP's by shoving his stick in the opposing Dman's gloves. Like someone said in the GDT, Mule ain't Homer, get over it. He can't do what Homer did, try someone else.

Chill out. We didn't over archive. We played well when we had to. And this season is still early. We' are ONLY 4 GAMES IN. Sure we are paying like complete garbage now but it doesn't mean that Letsgowings has to freak out like they do every year. The only move I'm not sure about is Filpulla for weiss. Although filp was critiziest Offen around here, I think we will miss his speed and puck skill. He was like a mini datsyuk in a small way. Even tho Daniel alfredsson has looked crap tastic he is too good and has too much pride to play like that the whole year. He is in a new envorinment and it has not clicked yet. He is a known slow starter and should catch his stride. He won't be amazing but be he will end up being a good pick up. As for Weiss we really don't know what we have in him It is simply too early in the season to tell. Something that baffles all of our minds is that we can't ice a third line of Nyquist Andersson Tatar. The youth played great last year. Seems so stupid not to do that. But fact is we do and it's frustrating. All of you need to stop stop freaking out WE ARE 4 GAMES IN. This happens every year and We have too much pride with our managment, coaching staff and players to give up. Zetterberg and Datsyuk will bring it when they have to. They have shown it. Everbody chill out We will be fine

If it even looked like 90% of the roster was trying and we were losing, it wouldn't be an issue. But with Tatar sitting for scrubs and Nyquist in GR, getting pissed when the Wings are complete garbage is acceptable. Holland f***ed us again by signing Cleary.

Guest mjtm77

If it even looked like 90% of the roster was trying and we were losing, it wouldn't be an issue. But with Tatar sitting for scrubs and Nyquist in GR, getting pissed when the Wings are complete garbage is acceptable. Holland f***ed us again by signing Cleary.

Hope your happy. They said they can't wait to extened Cleary to a long contract after this season

I am rather happy with the Wings right now, we have a few new guys that have tough spots to fill. The team chemistry already seems to be building at a nice rate. They need to be a little more consistent on the power play as a team, I'm not only speaking for this years PP. Another thing that is slowing the start of the season down is not having my boy Helm healthy. We need his speed right now, we're already beating most teams to the loose pucks (from what I've seen). He is a valuable asset in so many situations. Abdelkader seems to be trying his best at the moment to fill this role until Helm can return. Its going to be an interesting season. We also need Howard to stand on his head !

Go Wings !

Edited by Number5weThankYou

Babcock is handcuffing this team. Having a terrible special teams year in and year out, with all the talent on this team, falls on coaching. Being unprepared against a Pheonix team after playing a disgusting game of hockey with 4 days off is a coaching issue. These lines are ridiculous players are being to asked to fill a role that they just can't and no adjustments get made. We were being outplayed from the start of the game to the end and no adjustments were made to lines that were consistently getting scored on and creating no offence. I blame Babcock just as much as Holland for these ridiculous signings because you know he has a major influence.

Cleary, Bertuzzi and Saumelsson are brutal signings that have destroyed the growth of this team. What's worse is that Babcock chooses to play these guys every night. Ridiculous