• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DeGraa55

is anyone happy right now?

Rate this topic

You cannot judge Alfredsson by his points last season... Alfredsson on a line with Zetterberg and Datsyuk is just sick, period! Now throw Weiss (way better 2nd line center than Filppula) on the 2nd unit with Franzen and Tatar. The combos are numerous... Imagine a line of Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson...nice! (and I hate Franzen.) Then how about Datsyuk - Weiss - Bertuzzi (if healthy.)

The only thing that concerns me is who becomes a victim of too many forwards and not enough salary. We still need to sign Nyquist, Andersson and Smith. There is only about $2.3M left in the pot. It is still rumored that Wings want to re-sign Cleary or sign Morrow. Some salary has to go...trade? waive? LTIR?

No doubt Wings are a better team today than they were when they lost game 7.

Just a reminder to everyone re: the salary cap. Teams may exceed the cap by 10% during the off season so really Kenny has another $6.4m (edit: on top of that $2.3m just to be clear) he can play with until the end of pre-season. There's really no danger of not getting the team's RFA's taken care of. The bigger issue is to see who among the bubble players actually plays their way onto the team in camp/pre-season and who plays their way out of town in order for the Wings to hit the regular season as cap & roster limit compliant.

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest DeGraa55

Actually, no.

It's abundantly clear that you're not going to be happy with anything this team does.

Why don't you just tell us what you'd have done this off-season ... in detail. Then we can all have some fun cutting up your idea like a pile of paper dolls.

Have at it big fella.

Bought out cola and since Sammy can't then franzen with MI blessing(as amyone who actually follows his team he would understand).Made the trade for bobby Ryan. And signed Vinny or if helm is going to be healthy not sign a center. Would of brought back Brunner for 3m.

Its really not rocket science at all....it just makes too much sense.

Edited by DeGraa55

Bought cola and since Sammy can't then franzen. Made the trade for bobby Ryan. And signed Vinny or if helm is going to be healthy not sign a center. Would of brought back Brunner for 3m.

Its really not rocket science at all....it just makes too much sense.

I agree about brunner. I wouldn't make the bobby Ryan trade if we would have to overpay as much as Ottawa did.

Guest DeGraa55

Given up what for Bobby Ryan? So much for "detail".

If you don't sign Lecavalier, who you've said is the best FA deal thus far, and Helm is healthy, who's the #2 center?

Z and I'd try to get a different top winger to go with z. And if MI said don't buyout franzen then I think Quincey would of been my next choice.

And details ummm based on what Ottawa gave up Nyquist or tatar, a first, and idk who is equal to the second prospect.

Z and I'd try to get a different top winger to go with z. And if MI said don't buyout franzen then I think Quincey would of been my next choice.

And details ummm based on what Ottawa gave up Nyquist or tatar, a first, and idk who is equal to the second prospect.

You have no desire to see what Zetterberg and Datsyuk can do together over an entire year? I know I do.

I would not buyout Quincey ... he played very well in the playoffs and is off the books after this season. His money will go to resigning Dekeyser.

You like Nyquist and Tatar, enough that you want them in the top six, but are willing to trade one in a deal for Ryan? I would have sold high on Tatar, I'll give you that ... but I don't want Nyquist in that deal.

Guest DeGraa55

You have no desire to see what Zetterberg and Datsyuk can do together over an entire year? I know I do.

I would not buyout Quincey ... he played very well in the playoffs and is off the books after this season. His money will go to resigning Dekeyser.

You like Nyquist and Tatar, enough that you want them in the top six, but are willing to trade one in a deal for Ryan? I would have sold high on Tatar, I'll give you that ... but I don't want Nyquist in that deal.

Well its hard to type it all. And i like Quincey but it'd only be if I needed the cap room. So it may not be needed.

And I wouldn't want them in the top 6. The one that's not traded I want on a line with Brunner and Anderson.

It would have likely been Tatar/Nyquist a first and Jurco. Wouldn't be surprised if it was both Nyquist and Tatar and a first. Silverberg and Noesen are both top flight prospects

Well its hard to type it all. And i like Quincey but it'd only be if I needed the cap room. So it may not be needed.

And I wouldn't want them in the top 6. The one that's not traded I want on a line with Brunner and Anderson.

Why is it hard to type it all. You have no problem typing all of your frustrations.

I'm not a Brunner fanboy, so I don't care about him. I'd prefer Cleary on a line with Andy and Gus. At least Cleary can help in the defensive zone and kill penalties if needed.

Brunner played in the Swiss league for quite awhile. No NHL team wanted him until the Wings came calling. IMO, he's already had the best season he will ever have in the NHL. He's not made for this league, barring adding some major bulk.

It's Andersson, btw ... I think if you can spell players names, it adds to your credibility.

Thanks for calming down.

Guest DeGraa55

Why is it hard to type it all. You have no problem typing all of your frustrations.

I'm not a Brunner fanboy, so I don't care about him. I'd prefer Cleary on a line with Andy and Gus. At least Cleary can help in the defensive zone and kill penalties if needed.

Brunner played in the Swiss league for quite awhile. No NHL team wanted him until the Wings came calling. IMO, he's already had the best season he will ever have in the NHL. He's not made for this league, barring adding some major bulk.

It's Andersson, btw ... I think if you can spell players names, it adds to your credibility.

Thanks for calming down.

I'm on my phone so name gets spell checked ;(.

And I'm still mad lol. Like the Alfie signing its not that I don't like Alfie or think he can help. But we don't need yet another old forward same thing with cleary. Clearu is a warrior and if franzen had half the heart he did he would be a 50 goal scorer. Its just we don't need more "depth" guys like that.

Even if it took both Nyquist and Tatar I'd of been OK with it. Cause then of you have Alfie signed as well your lines can be.

Ryan DAT Abby

Franzen z Alfie

Cleary Anderson Brunner.

For me thats built for long term and short term success. Alfie is a filler until we find someone else. But since we got Nyquist and Tatar where one could be in the top 6 we just don't need him.

Now keep on mind my griping is also based on what's only been done so far. Holland can still make this a successful off season on my eyes with a few key trades but as it stands right now I think he is just making lateral moves at best. Nothing to really improve us.

Meh. I'd take Lecavalier over Weiss, even if Weiss is better than Flip.

Tatar and Brunner were both Wings last year. If not for idiotic coaching and GM work, Tatar would have been a regular in the playoffs, instead of being unable to get called up. If we don't resign Brunner, that's a big loss. We lack right handed shots in the long haul (Alfie isn't the long haul). Sucks if we can't have both Tatar and Brunner.

Helm is a big addition, providing, he can stay healthy.

Honestly, I'm really happy we got Weiss. I probably would've preferred Lecavalier, but, like whitey said, his durability is a very serious issue. Besides, he made it pretty clear what his real priorities are, and winnng isn't among them.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson

I'm all about hating on Holland, but, really, that's damn sexy.

As for Brunner...meh. I was upset that we lost him, but, you know what? If losing a Damien Brunner is a huge blow to our Stanley Cup chances, we're in a lot of trouble. Plus, with Brunner and Nyquist and Tatar, we'd be beating the soft, smallish Euro thing past the point of death. And, knowing Babcock, he'd have them all pllaying in the bottom-six. So we'd get our asses kicked by Boston and cry.

It doesn't matter about when the money is paid. What matters is the cap hit. Z'ds cap hit is 6 million per year. be it the first year or last year of his deal. if he walks away, the cap hit could go up! So even in his last year, while making 1 million, the cap hit is 6 million. That is the part that matters. same is true with franzen and Kronwall. All are signed until they are 40 ish, and all have big cap hits.

The point of the post was Z's cap hit is no where close to what most high end players in the league make and how Holland got a cheap deal off of the best player in the league (Datsyuk) and a top 10 player in the league (Zetterberg). Look at Getzlafs contract.. 8.3 million cap hit? Are you kidding? Holland is a good GM he gets players cheaper than most GMs do. IMO It was a good thing he didnt waste his money on a declining Vecavelier for 5 years with a big pay check.

Edited by kickazz

Guest Playmaker

The point of the post was Z's cap hit is no where close to what most high end players in the league make and how Holland got a cheap deal off of the bet player in the league (Datsyuk) and a top 10 player in the league (Zetterberg). Look at Getzlafs contract.. 8.3 million cap hit? Are you kidding? Holland is a good GM he gets players cheaper than most GMs do. IMO It was a good thing he didnt waste his money on a declining Vecavelier for 5 years with a big pay check.

I'm pretty sure Vinny's cap hit is lower than Weiss and Flip's. He's too old and slow, but Dan Cleary isn't?

I'm pretty sure Vinny's cap hit is lower than Weiss and Flip's. He's too old and slow, but Dan Cleary isn't?

As much as I dislike Cleary, he's a hard worker. Babcock favors hard workers nothing the fans can do about that. Filpula was straight up useless during the season and his effort wasn't as much as it should have been on ice.

Also you're forgetting that Vinny made money off the buyout and he's getting paid by Flyers on top of that. Vinny is currently a very very rich man compared to most other players.

Edited by kickazz

As for Brunner...meh. I was upset that we lost him, but, you know what? If losing a Damien Brunner is a huge blow to our Stanley Cup chances, we're in a lot of trouble. Plus, with Brunner and Nyquist and Tatar, we'd be beating the soft, smallish Euro thing past the point of death. And, knowing Babcock, he'd have them all pllaying in the bottom-six. So we'd get our asses kicked by Boston and cry.

Good point. Many folks have been crying over losing Brunner as a huge loss to the team. So dramatic that somehow they forget that fact that we have 3 future hall of famers on our top 6, one of the fastest centers in the league in our bottom six (helm) and two of the better NHL youngesters in the bottom six (Nyquist and Tatar). Losing Brunner is not as bad as people think it is.

Guest The Axe

Good point. Many folks have been crying over losing Brunner as a huge loss to the team. So dramatic that somehow they forget that fact that we have 3 future hall of famers on our top 6, one of the fastest centers in the league in our bottom six (helm) and two of the better NHL youngesters in the bottom six (Nyquist and Tatar). Losing Brunner is not as bad as people think it is.

Agreed.

And we got Emdog as cheap insurance.

Guest Playmaker

As much as I dislike Cleary, he's a hard worker. Babcock favors hard workers nothing the fans can do about that. Filpula was straight up useless during the season and his effort wasn't as much as it should have been on ice.

Also you're forgetting that Vinny made money off the buyout and he's getting paid by Flyers on top of that. Vinny is currently a very very rich man compared to most other players.

Well, isn't that great he works hard. I'd rather have Franzen or Bobby Ryan floating and scoring 30 goals than Cleary missing a defensive assignment because he's so damn slow or Pavel looking invisible because he's saddled with Cleary on his line.

Well, isn't that great he works hard. I'd rather have Franzen or Bobby Ryan floating and scoring 30 goals than Cleary missing a defensive assignment because he's so damn slow or Pavel looking invisible because he's saddled with Cleary on his line.

But you're not the coach of the Detroit Red Wings and Babcock is, and he prefers a hard working cleary over a floating filpulla. It's as simple as that.

Guest Playmaker

Thanks for calming down.

Nitpicking over spelling and not content makes you look like a total DB. I can spell that out it you'd like.

People give Holland crap when he stands pat, and they give him crap when he makes moves. Can't please everyone.

Personally, I love the moves this off-season. Shaping up to be the best Wings roster in several years, and it seems like there are still a few more moves to come - either trades or just shedding weight.

The latest news on Helm is encouraging and DeKeyser should be back as well. Call me crazy, but things are looking pretty good for next season, I can't wait.

Guest The Axe

People give Holland crap when he stands pat, and they give him crap when he makes moves. Can't please everyone.

Personally, I love the moves this off-season. Shaping up to be the best Wings roster in several years, and it seems like there are still a few more moves to come - either trades or just shedding weight.

The latest news on Helm is encouraging and DeKeyser should be back as well. Call me crazy, but things are looking pretty good for next season, I can't wait.

I want to be your VP +1.

I'll be happy IF Sammy is on LTIR for the entire season, IF Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Alfie don't play their age, IF all the kids perform as well as they did last season (or better in Smith's case), IF Jimmy continues to steal games for us and make our defense look better than it is, IF Bertuzzi and Cleary can be effective, IF Franzen has a very productive year, IF Helm are Weiss are healthy and regain their form, and IF we find goal scoring from guys we didn't know had it in them.

There are a lot of question marks going into this season, just like last season. Contrary to what I said all season, Babcock had a plan and got a lot out of a little. He did well. I hope he can do it again because I don't feel really comfortable going into a hockey season in today's NHL when none of our best players are in their prime and all of our young guys haven't show that they can help shoulder the load. It puts way too much pressure on guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall to carry the load and none of those guys are going to produce the way they have in the past.

Guest Playmaker

I'll be happy IF Sammy is on LTIR for the entire season, IF Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Alfie don't play their age, IF all the kids perform as well as they did last season (or better in Smith's case), IF Jimmy continues to steal games for us and make our defense look better than it is, IF Bertuzzi and Cleary can be effective, IF Franzen has a very productive year, IF Helm are Weiss are healthy and regain their form, and IF we find goal scoring from guys we didn't know had it in them.

There are a lot of question marks going into this season, just like last season. Contrary to what I said all season, Babcock had a plan and got a lot out of a little. He did well. I hope he can do it again because I don't feel really comfortable going into a hockey season in today's NHL when none of our best players are in their prime and all of our young guys haven't show that they can help shoulder the load. It puts way too much pressure on guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall to carry the load and none of those guys are going to produce the way they have in the past.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think too many fans are remembering the Wings team that was up 3-1 on the Hawks, not the lethargic, offensively challenged team we saw for most of the season that couldn't score on the PP, that couldn't get the big PK when needed, that couldn't clear the zone.

Zetterberg looked like a HOF'er the first 10 games and the last 10 games, but in between he was decidedly average. Pavel had some great highlights from last season, but he was a notch below what he once was and won't likely be that player again. Will we ever seen the Franzen of the 2008 playoffs again? Who knows.

Guest The Axe

If anyone on the Wings is expendable, it's "Emdog."

No way. He's been johnny on the spot 2 years in a row.