• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#121 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Very happy of the new additions, Dissapointed in both Cleary (don't want him back) & Brunner (did want him back).  Maybe Kenny takes that salary & gets one guy on the tough side with some offence,  Is there another 4 to 4.5 mil guy left that fits tat?

#122 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'mf****** ecstatic. Flip is overrated. If we manage to get Cleary, cool, he's a warrior. Will I miss Brunner? Not as much as I'll love Tatar and Nyquist.

#123 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'mf****** ecstatic. Flip is overrated. If we manage to get Cleary, cool, he's a warrior. Will I miss Brunner? Not as much as I'll love Tatar and Nyquist.

Exactly. Brunner needs a good playmaker. Tatar and Nyquist are developing into the kind of players that make Brunner type guys expendable.

#124 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

The Wings are in a good position cap-wise going forward ... that's a good thing.

#125 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

The Wings are in a good position cap-wise going forward ... that's a good thing.

I do agree with this. But tell me what good can come from it? Its doesn't matter if we got cap space when we sign junk.

#126 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

I do agree with this. But tell me what good can come from it? Its doesn't matter if we got cap space when we sign junk.

Who's junk?

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#127 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

In a word, No. I'll leave it at that. And no one can convince me otherwise. 

#128 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Who's junk?

306-samuelsson-m-090703.jpg

#129 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

In a word, No. I'll leave it at that. And no one can convince me otherwise. 

I agree.  We need a third man after today.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#130 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Why would any one who is a Wings fan be happy today after taking two of the top ten free agents today. Now with that said we still need a top 2 Defenseman bad. The wings are going to be a puck position team again and fun to watch this year
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#131 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Who's junk?

Sammy cola and I'm a tootoo fan but some say he is. Alfie is at this point in his career. And Weiss is given the composition of our team. If we didn't have 68 guys like him all ready? Sure he is a good signing. But he isn't what we NEEDED.

#132 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Why would any one who is a Wings fan be happy today after taking two of the top ten free agents today. Now with that said we still need a top 2 Defenseman bad. The wings are going to be a puck position team again and fun to watch this year

I pray you're right. The dump and chase game doesn't suit us.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#133 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Because we do so much of that! passing on Ryan for example. Nyquist and tatar will be lucky to score as many goals per season COMBINED as what Ryan does. he is a proven 30-35 goal per year guy.

Vinny LeCav to expensive. Signs with Philly for 4.5 million per year. Weiss sign with us for 4.9 million per year. over the last 4 years Vinny has produced 205 points in the regular season and Weiss produced 170. We are paying more money for LESS PRODUCTION!

Alfie-signs for 5.5 million. Clarkson signs for 5.2 million. Who is the better bet to score 30 goals in 2013/14? How about 14/15? 15/16? Again, more money for less production!

But next year we have a ton of money available. True. To spend on what? more over 35 forwards? That is our recent history. Pass on the big names-the few that make it and blow our money on nothing.

Willing to bet Weiss outperforms Vinny next year.

#134 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Ericcson and Quiency are both UFA's after next season, so an upgrade may be possible then. BRUNNER SIGN BRUNNER, PLEASE KENNY, I'LL NEVER SPEAK ILL OF YOU EVER AGAIN.

"Willing to bet Weiss outperforms Vinny next year."

Bet you $20 Vincent racks up more points per game than Weiss next season.

Edited by TheOwl, 05 July 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#135 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

I pray you're right. The dump and chase game doesn't suit us.

Cause we don't have the forwards for it. But it would suit our d nicely.

#136 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Ericcson and Quiency are both UFA's after next season, so an upgrade may be possible then. BRUNNER SIGN BRUNNER, PLEASE KENNY, I'LL NEVER SPEAK ILL OF YOU EVER AGAIN.

"Willing to bet Weiss outperforms Vinny next year."

Do you plan to ever live up to any of these bets? Here's what we have so far:

Stop ripping Flippula. I will bet ANYONE $20 Flipulla has a career year next season.

He sure does deserve a spot on the roster, but Brunner will be a 30-40 goal scorer a year, I will bet ANYONE $20.

Good deal, Columbus is a contender. I'll bet anyone $20 they win the cup in the next 5 years.

I will bet ANYONE on here $20 that Philly will win the cup before the Wings do.

I'm beginning to suspect that this is a gimmick...

Edited by Crymson, 05 July 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#137 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

So the team essentially looks like this...

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson
Franzen - Weiss - ??????????

??????? - Helm - ??????????

??????? - Andersson - ??????

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - Quincey

Smith - DeKeyser

Lashoff

Howard

Gustavsson

It's going to be fun watching who earns that last top6 spot. I think Tatar, Nyquist, Bertuzzi, and Sammy all have a legit shot at it. I see a lot of lines with Abby in the top6 but IMO that's not going to happen. I think the only reason he was with Dats and Z in the playoffs was cause all our other big bodies were hurt.

I also think Sammy is going to surprise people if he avoids injury. He produced with Vancouver and Florida and I don't see any reason why he can't again here if he can stay healthy.

#138 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

...and still no goal scorer.  I long for a goal scorer.  You know, the kind that consistently scores goals.  Other than that, happy about Weiss and not thrilled about anything else.  I guess we'll have to see how things go, but again...goal scorer?

Who in the hell is on the FA market that is a goal scorer to you cuz i saw none?

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#139 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Overall I am happy. I think Weiss is an upgrade over flip. Alfie is a low risk high reward contract. I still have faith in our young corps. I think with a preseason and a full season these 2 guys will help with the development of some our younger guys.

#140 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

Who's junk?

306-samuelsson-m-090703.jpg
I thought the "junk referred to this year's additions". I get it now.
With this many excess forwards, Holland has to do something. I wouldn't mind trading depth players for picks

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy