• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#141 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

I don't understand some people being upset with these signings. Alfie is older than I would like but having a good player with a desperate desire for the cup seems like a good plan. The only thing I'm bummed about is Brunner

Edited by Ally, 05 July 2013 - 10:33 PM.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#142 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

I don't understand some people being upset with these signings. Alfie is older than I would like but having a good player with a desperate desire for the cup seems like a good plan. The only thing I'm bummed about is Brunner

Well some people like me want cups other want to just make the playoffs every year.

These signings don't make us cup contenders. Ryan and/or clarkson would've.

#143 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Exactly. Brunner needs a good playmaker. Tatar and Nyquist are developing into the kind of players that make Brunner type guys expendable.

tatar isnt gonna cause much damage if hes here at this point due to  these signings in fact i can see him being pissed off and asking for another trade again (if he even starts the season here, still think holland will trade him)

zetterberg datsyuk abdelkader

franzen weiss alfredsson

nyquist helm bertuzzi(cant imagine bert on a 4th line)

miller andersson tatar

and hearing detroit is in on cleary with pitts and ducks ( and my gut feeling says hes coming back)

samuelsson, tootoo, emmerton eaves  on the outs (dont know how theyll get rid of sammy)

cant see how tatar gets a fair shot , only reason andersson and nyquist did last year was due to injuries we love playing the veterans way too much here

#144 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Alfie isn't older, he's OLD!

#145 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Today wasn't bad. Could have been better....I really want to know what Brunner's agent is trying to do here. 

Will be interesting to see how Kenny handles the remaining RFAs and tight cap space. 

#146 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Well some people like me want cups other want to just make the playoffs every year.

Clarkson? The guy who is a bad skater, a mediocre passer, undisciplined, poor at defense, terrible at blocking shots, and generally possessed of an indifferent hockey mind would have made this team a Cup contender? I can't help but think that you simply looked under 2011-2012, saw "30 goals," and assumed that he was a premiere power forward. Devils fans would laugh at that description. I've been on HF all day, and I haven't seen a single one who believes that he was worth anywhere near the contract he got.

Edited by Crymson, 05 July 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#147 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Clarkson? The guy has 170 points in 426 career games. He had ONE good season and scored 30 goals in 80 games. The guy is over-rated, and now overpaid. Grabovski is a much better player than Clarkson, what an idiotic move by the Leafs.

Ryan could of been had, and he would of been a difference maker. The Wings and this current roster are slightly better than last seasons (assuming all the RFA's come back), If they want to be a top 5 contender, like Boston for example, they need another top 6 forward or a top 2 D-man. The Wings have space, but it is currently wasted on Sammy and Bert.

Brunner >> Tatar and Nyquist. I don't know what any of you are talking about.

Simply replacing Bert and Sammy with Brunner and Jagr would instantly make us a top 3 Cup contender. Getter done Kenny!

Edited by TheOwl, 05 July 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#148 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

tatar isnt gonna cause much damage if hes here at this point due to  these signings in fact i can see him being pissed off and asking for another trade again (if he even starts the season here, still think holland will trade him)

zetterberg datsyuk abdelkader

franzen weiss alfredsson

nyquist helm bertuzzi(cant imagine bert on a 4th line)

miller andersson tatar

and hearing detroit is in on cleary with pitts and ducks ( and my gut feeling says hes coming back)

samuelsson, tootoo, emmerton eaves  on the outs (dont know how theyll get rid of sammy)

cant see how tatar gets a fair shot , only reason andersson and nyquist did last year was due to injuries we love playing the veterans way too much here

The Weiss signing tells me helm will be on litr. Just a gut feeling ive got and thought for awhile.

#149 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

Clarkson? The guy who is a bad skater, a mediocre passer, an indifferent hockey mind, undisciplined, poor at defense, terrible at blocking shots, and not a particularly good shooter would have made this team a Cup contender? I can't help but think that you simply looked under 2011-2012, saw "30 goals," and assumed that he was a premiere power forward. Devils fans would laugh at that description. 

clarkson is gritty hits fights and has a good shot and hes not 40 and at the end of his career , yes he would of helped this team by a mile ... that being said no way i would of given him the contract he got

#150 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Clarkson? The guy has 170 points in 426 career games. He had ONE good season and scored 30 goals in 80 games. The guy is over-rated, and now overpaid. Grabovski is a much better player than Clarkson, what an idiotic move by the Leafs.

Ryan could of been had, and he would of been a difference maker. The Wings and this current roster are slightly better than last seasons (assuming all the RFA's come back), If they want to be a top 5 contender, like Boston for example, they need another top 6 forward or a top 2 D-man. The Wings have space, but it is currently wasted on Sammy and Bert.

The actually don't have space. Cap wise we got 7 forwards too many. That's why signing Alfie didn't makesense in my mind. And clarkson was on the third line. When he moved up he scored more. DAt needs a guy who will throw pucks at the net.

If you don't like clarkson then there is several other fas that would of worked. Even Horton (I did want him hut changed my mind because of his injuries).

#151 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

The Weiss signing tells me helm will be on litr. Just a gut feeling ive got and thought for awhile.

Same. Not sure how he's magically going to get better after a couple of extra months. I really hope we're wrong. 

Maybe he can get some of Karlsson's magic medicine, whatever the hell that was. 

#152 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Today wasn't bad. Could have been better....I really want to know what Brunner's agent is trying to do here. 

Will be interesting to see how Kenny handles the remaining RFAs and tight cap space. 

hes not gonna end up with as much money as he thought he would , my prediction is he will go on a crappier team where he will play on the top 6 guaranteed and miss the playoffs every year ... waste

#153 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

Sorry to give an English lesson here, people, but this is getting painful: it's "would've" or "would have," not "would of." The same goes for should, could, etc. 

Moving on....

The signing of a second-line center makes you believe that the team's third-line center will be out for the season? How does that logic follow? Helm is unlikely to ever be a top-six forward.

Anyway, the news today about Helm was very good.

Edited by Crymson, 05 July 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#154 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Same. Not sure how he's magically going to get better after a couple of extra months. I really hope we're wrong. 

Maybe he can get some of Karlsson's magic medicine, whatever the hell that was. 

we need helm back bigtime  he's so important to our team if were gonna win it all

#155 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Sorry to give an English lesson here, people, but this is getting painful: it's "would've" or "would have," not "would of." The same goes for should, could, etc. 

Moving on....

Signing a second-line center makes you believe that the team's third-line center will be out for the season? How does that logic follow?

Anyway, the news today about Helm was very good.

Helm is actually a fourth line center. But I'd rather seen Anderson on second line or z centering the second line.

Also this isn't English class. And some people like myself type this on a phone....so doing shortcuts help and there is also loads of typing errors.

Edited by DeGraa55, 05 July 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#156 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Helm is actually a fourth line center. But I'd rather seen Anderson on second line or z centering the second line.

Helm is fully capable of centering an effective third line. He did so in 2011-2012, if you hadn't noticed.

Andersson is by no means ready or able to effectively play a 2nd-line role. While I'm glad that he's with the team, I will be surprised if he ever progresses to that level.

#157 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

andersson is no where near a 2nd center ... helm 3rd center and andersson 4th is perfect

#158 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

No offense, but I haven't agreed with anything you've said. Holland already said he's better. He's playing in the prospects camp. It's been reported that he'll be ready for training camp.

I came into this offseason thinking that however lands clarkson will have made the worst deal of the year, and I thin I'm right. (Funny that its the leafs that ended up making the terrible deal)

Alfredsson is perfect because he is still really good, he wants to win more than any other free agent (except maybe iginla) and he didn't require a long commitment. What more can you ask?

To me, the Weiss deal means
either emmerton or Anderson is out. Hopefully it's emmerton because I think he's pretty much expendable

Edited by wingsfan4795, 05 July 2013 - 11:07 PM.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#159 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

:clap:

#160 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

No offense, but I haven't agreed with anything you've said. Holland already said he's better. He's playing in the prospects camp. It's been reported that he'll be ready for training camp.

I came into this offseason thinking that however lands clarkson will have made the worst deal of the year, and I thin I'm right. (Funny that its the leafs that ended up making the terrible deal)

Alfredsson is perfect because he is still really good, he wants to win more than any other free agent (except maybe iginla) and he didn't require a long commitment. What more can you ask?

To me, the Weiss deal makes me think emmerton or Anderson is out. Hopefully it's emmerton because I think he's pretty much expendable

Mlive has claimed that Holland is trying to move Emmerton. Whatever the case, he is indisputably of lesser value than Andersson. Too bad for a guy who was one of the top North American prospects in his draft year.