9 replies to this topic

#1 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Rut roh.

Earlier this week, the Canadian dollar probed depths it had not seen for almost two years, and if analysts predicting a further descent are correct — if Canada is heading for another 90-cent dollar — the impact will be felt across the country’s sporting landscape.

“The Canadian currency conversion always has a direct impact,” established NHL player agent Anton Thun said on Thursday.A lower Canadian dollar has the potential to slow revenue growth in the National Hockey League, which would impact the salary cap. Small-market teams in Canada would face a host of familiar economic problems, with revenue earned in Canadian funds, and players being paid in U.S. currency.

http://sports.nation...ams-affect-cfl/

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#2 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hmm... not good.....

#3 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Oh nooo

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#4 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Well it's a good thing that there aren't teams out there signing players to contracts that would put them out of cap compliance if it doesn't go up as much in the next few years as they though it would.  Paul Holmgren, why are you in the corner crying right now?

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#5 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

It is just a prediction so I'm not worried, the cap will skyrocket soon again

Edited by frankgrimes, 06 July 2013 - 06:04 PM.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#6 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Seems to me that if small market teams cannot generate enough revenue to sustain their business models then they should probably just fold and let the league contract.  I know that's harsh, but it's the easiest solution.

#7 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

It only applies to small market Canadian teams, which sucks because they (i.e. Winnipeg Calgary Ottawa Edmonton) have passionate fans that fill arenas and those teams are the life of the city. The problem is that they don't generate enough revenue from sources outside the city (you won't find European Oilers fans). It would be a shame for any of these teams to fold because it would not go un-noticed unlike an area like Atlanta or Phoenix where nobody would even notice and the city loses money every year just to keep the team there. 

#8 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Our dollar here sucks ass cause our unemployment rate is going up due to not giving jobs to people who live here and only giving people jobs to come here.  Canada isn't growing fast enough for the amount of people coming in.  Don't expect the dollar to get back on par with the USD any time soon.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#9 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Our dollar here sucks ass cause our unemployment rate is going up due to not giving jobs to people who live here and only giving people jobs to come here.  Canada isn't growing fast enough for the amount of people coming in.  Don't expect the dollar to get back on par with the USD any time soon.

That obviously sucks but I hear you, my country has the same problem since joining the EU and especially the Euro countries but the Canadian $ should stabilize again, Canada just needs to give jobs to people in Canada, not the people that came to Canada.

I don't think, there is any chance, that Edmonton or Winnipeg will fold. Winnipegs owner has a net worth of 20 billion $, the city in Edmonton is basically paying for Katz super arena. IF push comes to shove I can only see Ottawa and the Flames as a possibility.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#10 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

All they have to do is peg the loonie to the dollar like they've been yakking about for forever. Problem solved.
IPB Image