• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Canadian Dollar / Salary Cap foreshadowing

Rate this topic

Rut roh.

Earlier this week, the Canadian dollar probed depths it had not seen for almost two years, and if analysts predicting a further descent are correct — if Canada is heading for another 90-cent dollar — the impact will be felt across the country’s sporting landscape.

“The Canadian currency conversion always has a direct impact,” established NHL player agent Anton Thun said on Thursday.A lower Canadian dollar has the potential to slow revenue growth in the National Hockey League, which would impact the salary cap. Small-market teams in Canada would face a host of familiar economic problems, with revenue earned in Canadian funds, and players being paid in U.S. currency.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/07/05/lower-canadian-dollar-could-have-huge-impact-on-nhl-teams-affect-cfl/

Well it's a good thing that there aren't teams out there signing players to contracts that would put them out of cap compliance if it doesn't go up as much in the next few years as they though it would. Paul Holmgren, why are you in the corner crying right now?

It only applies to small market Canadian teams, which sucks because they (i.e. Winnipeg Calgary Ottawa Edmonton) have passionate fans that fill arenas and those teams are the life of the city. The problem is that they don't generate enough revenue from sources outside the city (you won't find European Oilers fans). It would be a shame for any of these teams to fold because it would not go un-noticed unlike an area like Atlanta or Phoenix where nobody would even notice and the city loses money every year just to keep the team there.

Our dollar here sucks ass cause our unemployment rate is going up due to not giving jobs to people who live here and only giving people jobs to come here. Canada isn't growing fast enough for the amount of people coming in. Don't expect the dollar to get back on par with the USD any time soon.

Our dollar here sucks ass cause our unemployment rate is going up due to not giving jobs to people who live here and only giving people jobs to come here. Canada isn't growing fast enough for the amount of people coming in. Don't expect the dollar to get back on par with the USD any time soon.

That obviously sucks but I hear you, my country has the same problem since joining the EU and especially the Euro countries but the Canadian $ should stabilize again, Canada just needs to give jobs to people in Canada, not the people that came to Canada.

I don't think, there is any chance, that Edmonton or Winnipeg will fold. Winnipegs owner has a net worth of 20 billion $, the city in Edmonton is basically paying for Katz super arena. IF push comes to shove I can only see Ottawa and the Flames as a possibility.