• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WorkingOvertime

Wings Attempting to Re-sign Cleary

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

For all intents and purpose Cleary is back, they will re-sign him when they clear some salary. So the news is 'you will have Cleary, not today, but soon.'

No, the news is that they'll probably sign him if they're able to clear some salary. What do you think the words "the team isn’t close at all to re-signing the veteran forward" mean?

Edited by Crymson

No, the news is that they'll probably sign him if they're able to clear some salary. What do you think the words "the team isn’t close at all to re-signing the veteran forward" mean?

Well the whole "They want to re-sign him once they clear salary' part that was after the headline threw me. I know, reading a whole article isn't your game.

I like Cleary but it's time to make a change. This team struggled mightily at times last year and Cleary's play has been declining for 2 years straight now. He's doesn't have the wheels/endurance to play the type of offense this team wants to play. I can't count the number of times i saw the Wings break out last year with Cleary not able to join the rush, or how many times Cleary hit the blue line and just dumped in b/c he didn't have the speed to beat defenders or the size/strength to overpower them. His best play came in front of the net on power plays, but he wasn't great at it (not like Holmstrom) and not worth the contract being mentioned. Great grit player, great locker room guy, etc but not a $2.5M player in a salary cap era.

Anytime you have a relationship with a long time player like Cleary a handshake and a gentleman's promise usually is good enough to make a player happy for now. Its old school and

sounds like what has occurred in this case with Holland and Co. reaching a deal and once other trades go through it will be finalized. I know I've done it many times with good folks I trust

in business. Like Shaman464 said I think you can count on Cleary being a Wing, its pretty much a done deal. Would imagine the Morrow talk is now over as well.

Guest Crymson

Well the whole "They want to re-sign him once they clear salary' part that was after the headline threw me. I know, reading a whole article isn't your game.

You mean this?

The Detroit Red Wings would like to have forward Daniel Cleary back, but the only way that will happen is if they can shed some salary.

To me, that looks a lot more like "They would life to have him back, but they can't do so unless they can shed some salary." There's also the bit about this possibility being uncertain, and him being free to sign with any team.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

Anytime you have a relationship with a long time player like Cleary a handshake and a gentleman's promise usually is good enough to make a player happy for now. Its old school and

sounds like what has occurred in this case with Holland and Co. reaching a deal and once other trades go through it will be finalized. I know I've done it many times with good folks I trust

in business. Like Shaman464 said I think you can count on Cleary being a Wing, its pretty much a done deal. Would imagine the Morrow talk is now over as well.

The fact that such agreements rarely hold water in the sports world aside, making such an agreement would mean Cleary waiting for something that might not ever happen, and thus possibly missing out on deals he could have gotten from other teams. As such, the probability of this being the case is low.

Edited by Crymson

The fact that such agreements rarely hold water in the sports world aside, making such an agreement would mean Cleary waiting for something that might not ever happen, and thus possibly missing out on deals he could have gotten from other teams. As such, the probability of this being the case is low.

Cleary has fully tested the market, he knows whats out there.

Guest DeGraa55

Well the way were going maybe I'll get to see Gordie howe play after all. Give him a three year deal Kenny. I think he can play in the too six as well.

As a matter of fact my grandpa is retired I think he could use 3m for 3 years as well....get it done Kenny.

Edited by DeGraa55

Well, he didn't pursue Ryan because of his subpar playoffs, so now Holland is pursuing Cleary because of his "remarkable" playoffs.

Holland needs to trade himself for Steve Yzerman. Let's move on already.

I don't mind re-signing Cleary, but NOT for 3 years and NOT for that cap hit.

Can you imagine what his skating will be like in 3 years? :lol:

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Crymson

Well, he didn't pursue Ryan because of his subpar playoffs, so now Holland is pursuing Cleary because of his "remarkable" playoffs.

Holland needs to trade himself for Steve Yzerman. Let's move on already.

Haha. Yes, Steve "Who needs defense or goaltending?" Yzerman, whose team has bombed the past two seasons. He was left a capable team by his predecessor and has failed utterly to maintain it. Instead, he has ignored its needs and stocked it with bad contracts.

But hey... greener grass and all that, right?

Haha. Yes, Steve "Who needs defense or goaltending?" Yzerman, whose team has bombed the past two seasons. He was left a capable team by his predecessor and has failed utterly to maintain it. Instead, he has ignored its needs and stocked it with bad contracts.

:eh:

Crymson, are you bad mouthing Steve Yzerman on this forum?

I don't hate the idea of having Cleary back in general, but $2.6 million is just nuts. The guy is getting too old and while he has had his moments, particularly in the playoffs this year, his body will continue to break down and he'll become more and more inconsistent. And let's face it, consistency has never been his strong point, especially in the playoffs even when he was younger.

This was his best playoff year since the 08/09 run, and the years between were hardly stellar. Seems to me that we're gambling on what was likely a fluke offseason points streak. Again, that's just not going to get any easier for him to come by the older he gets. Given what we've seen and his age, it's a lot more likely that he'll come up empty in the post-season again than he will come up big like he did this year. And let's be honest, does anyone think the Wings would really be as eager to sign him after his regular season if not for the playoff points? I think we'd want him, but I think we'd laugh hysterically at the idea of paying him what we've been paying him.

Again, I don't mind having Cleary around, but at this stage, with the cap, his age, and his inconsistency to consider, if he wants to stay on this team and make a run, he should be taking a team-first contract. We ultimately don't need him, and that really ought to be the bottom line when negotiating with him.

3 years???? Cleary must have pix of Babs & Kenny blowin donkeys; or Pauley Shore.

Yep, Stevie is still early in his development as a GM. Not ready for prime time yet. I believe he will get there but not for years.

This doesn't make sense though...Kenny would just be signing another veteran to join Bert and Sammy in the press box

With all the office up and leaving for dallas maybe he is just fixing in his next recruits:)

I seen dave lewis and tabbed out.