• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WorkingOvertime

Wings Attempting to Re-sign Cleary

Rate this topic

If I could guess I believe it has more to do with Babs wanting Cleary back rather then Holland does. If this is the case though Kenny must have 1 or 2 trades lined up. Give Raymond the same salary I bet he takes it

But... I thought Ling Enizgh was the JUCK F***ING POTT?

Common misconception, but that was a different voth playerin.

Edit: in fact I think it was actually Danny Cleary, not to be confused with Dan Cleary. Neither of whom should be confused with Daniel Cleary.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Too bad the Pens didn't sign him.

It'd be funny if due to massive injuries, he and Crosby ended up on the same line. It'd be interesting to see what kind of numbers Cleary would have then.

If there are ever "massive injuries" on the Penguins Cindy usually is included in that list, so doubtful it would happen.

Maybe Holland should call Nick and Shanny and see if they are ready for one last hurrah! Cleary....I mean clearly we want to oldest team in the NHL. Might as well trade the farm system for nabakov while we are at it. After all the kids are not going to be playing......LOL

You don't win in the playoffs without guys like cleary. Cleary staying is good. There is no room for him in the top six, so he could play in the bottom six and be an effective player.

Well he better be on the 4th. No way he should be playing above dats, z, Abby, mule, Weiss, alfy, helm, nyquist, Tatar. If he's anywhere above the 4th line (when healthy) I'm gonna be way more furious than I already am gonna be if/ when he signs

Guest DeGraa55

Well he better be on the 4th. No way he should be playing above dats, z, Abby, mule, Weiss, alfy, helm, nyquist, Tatar. If he's anywhere above the 4th line (when healthy) I'm gonna be way more furious than I already am gonna be if/ when he signs

No room for him in the bottom six. We all know he will get top 6 mins considering we have 9 guys in our bottom 6 right now. And that's not including Abby.

You don't win in the playoffs without guys like cleary. Cleary staying is good. There is no room for him in the top six, so he could play in the bottom six and be an effective player.

He wasn't helping the team get INTO the playoffs at all, which they almost missed, if you forgot about that?

He did turn it on in the playoffs, but up until then? That was painful to watch... He was seriously dragging the team down at points in the season

You mean this?

To me, that looks a lot more like "They would life to have him back, but they can't do so unless they can shed some salary." There's also the bit about this possibility being uncertain, and him being free to sign with any team.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130706/SPORTS05/307060055

Cleary remains likely to return, at a rate of around $2.5 million to $2.75 million per for three years, but the Wings need to get someone off their roster of forwards, first.

Funny Helen St James disagrees with your assessment

Guest Playmaker

I had the misguided notion watching the Wings this past post season that it would be the turning point and the "a-ha" moment for Holland and the organization that, hey we CAN win with younger players, we need that influx of youthful enthusiasm and we don't HAVE to have everyf****** player be a leader, and always play well defensively and pass the puck to be polite.

So our big moves are signing a soft Swede who will be 41 before the end of the year, paying a 5/5 contract to a center who missed last season with bad wrists, and da da da...bringing back Danny Cleary! Three years for a 34 year old who can't skate, is totally overrated defensively and is always hurt. Great! One year at 1.8 had we already rid ourselves of the other forwards. Ok. Three years??!?! What's even more ridiculous is that players who may have been decent trade assets like Patrick Eaves (super cheap and solid bottom 6 player) or Tootoo aren't going to yield the Wings diddly squat because everyone knows Holland is desperate.

The first dumbass move was buying out Carlo Colaiocovo. No, he wasn't perfect, but he wasn't a horrible cap hit AND a defenseman. Lashoff and Smith struggled mightily in the playoffs, and not totally sold on Quincey and who knows if they're ready for a full season yet. As we saw last season, the D can easily be decimated by injuries. At the very least we could have bought out Todd Bertuzzi. Also, if they knew they weren't going to do that, why sign Drew Miller? I like him just fine, but we already have Eaves under contract and to me, they're pretty much one in the same.

I'm not privy to the legalities of the buyout provisions, but why not try and buyout Sammy and if he says he's hurt, well then slap with long term IR. Now that they've done nothing, they're stuck with this guy. Who in theirf****** right mind would sign him to a NTC for two years at 3 million!? Unbelievable. Who even wanted this guy?!?!

And for the love of pete, WE CANNOT BUY ANYONE OUT UNTIL NEXT SEASON! That's done. I'm tired or reading all these posts about lets buy out Samuelsson. It's not an option! The window to buyout players for this offseason is done.

Okay, vent over.

Your Newfie status is blinding you from reality.

Haha. Yes, Steve "Who needs defense or goaltending?" Yzerman, whose team has bombed the past two seasons. He was left a capable team by his predecessor and has failed utterly to maintain it. Instead, he has ignored its needs and stocked it with bad contracts.

But hey... greener grass and all that, right?

You do realize that it was Steve Yzerman who signed Filppula to a 5yr/5 million per year contract?

Edited by Playmaker

This is the sound of Holland s***ting the bed. 16 forwards (including Andersson and Nyquist) and he signs #17. Say good bye to any chances of there being any youth on the team.

This obsession with youth needs to stop. None of the signings benches youth. Tatar, Nyquist, and Andersson are all guarantees roster spots. Smith, DeKeyser, and Kindl are still there. We are not an old team. If anything, we were too young and inexperienced so we pick up two top 6 vets to balance things out.

Five or six second year and young players is more than enough for a roster.

This obsession with youth needs to stop. None of the signings benches youth. Tatar, Nyquist, and Andersson are all guarantees roster spots. Smith, DeKeyser, and Kindl are still there. We are not an old team. If anything, we were too young and inexperienced so we pick up two top 6 vets to balance things out.

What roster spots? Last time I checked when you have 16-17 forwards and 12 spots there are 4-5 people who aren't going to be playing. Now Andersson and Nyquist just so happen to have AHL options. I could easily see one or both of them being sent down especially if Cleary is resigned and Helm is healthy. And I understand having vets is good, but, in the NHL having too many vets is punished.

Edited by Shaman464

What roster spots? Last time I checked when you have 16-17 forwards and 12 spots there are 4-5 people who aren't going to be playing. Now Andersson and Nyquist just so happen to have AHL options. I could easily see one or both of them being sent down especially if Cleary is resigned and Helm is healthy. And I understand having vets is good, but, in the NHL having too many vets is punished.

Goose and Andy are out of waiver options this year

Its time for Holland to stop signing forwards and work on a trade for a defensemen. The teams top and bottom 6 are both pretty good, and barring some type of sweetheart deal where they can get a top line sniper, it should be set.

So for all that is good and holy: No Cleary, yes Defenseman.

Edited by Shaman464

Guest Playmaker

A day or two ago, I would agree with you. But what is the average age of our TOP 6? Mid-30's. Unless Holland has some nude pictures of someone somewhere, we're absolutely stuck with Bert and Sammy. Who are we going to trade that could possibly yield us anything? Smith and Lashoff have not proven themselves to be everyday defenseman, especially over the course of an 82 game season. Quincey hasn't looked like the guy in LA or Colorado. Kronwall will never be Nick Sr. He was totally exposed this season without Lidstrom. I'm not seeing a new and improved team or philosophy, just SSDD.