• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WorkingOvertime

Wings Attempting to Re-sign Cleary

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

If Cleary hits the juice like Chelios did, im all for him coming back so long as it means they have to ditch Samuelsson.

Why This is such a joke with Him Like he is some elite player Have you seen him play he is like the slowest play on the ice He must have some stuff on Kenny and Babcock

I don't know many elite players signing for ~2.5 million, so that doesn't appear to be the Red Wings impression of Cleary either. Holland and Babcock both like Cleary because he works hard and is a leader in the room. Despite his physical limitations, he still brings value to the Red Wings.

I would rather have Brunner back like everyone else, but it appears Cleary has taken over the role of scapegoat for anything wrong. Pretty strange for a player where effort is never a question and he just had a very strong playoff run.

Guest Playmaker

I don't know many elite players signing for ~2.5 million, so that doesn't appear to be the Red Wings impression of Cleary either. Holland and Babcock both like Cleary because he works hard and is a leader in the room. Despite his physical limitations, he still brings value to the Red Wings.

I would rather have Brunner back like everyone else, but it appears Cleary has taken over the role of scapegoat for anything wrong. Pretty strange for a player where effort is never a question and he just had a very strong playoff run.

No, it appears that Wings fans are again frustrated that the organization is investing 3 years into a player who has bad knees, other injuries, is so slow that he's 10 ft. behind the play, is way overrated defensively, puts up very few points for the amount of top 6 ice time he has and is getting a spot when we already have an overabundance of forwards. Yes, he had a good playoff, but Franzen, Sammy and Flip have had good playoffs too.

Guest The Axe

No, it appears that Wings fans are again frustrated that the organization is investing 3 years into a player who has bad knees, other injuries, is so slow that he's 10 ft. behind the play, is way overrated defensively, puts up very few points for the amount of top 6 ice time he has and is getting a spot when we already have an overabundance of forwards. Yes, he had a good playoff, but Franzen, Sammy and Flip have had good playoffs too.

We dont have room for him, do we?

Just say no to Cleary....not for 3 years, not for 2, not for 1 and not ever! It's time to move on...

Usually I disagree with your consistent level of pessimisum but I'm with you on this...

If Cleary wouldn't have had a good we would have been wondering whether or not hee should retire. This is Osgood 2.0. The guy is done. And even if he wasn't Tatar has won a job and will only be hampered, developmentally and psychologically, by being held back.

If everyone is healthy, do the lines. Z-Dat-Abby on the 1st, Franzen-Weiss-Alfie on the 2nd, Bert-helm-Sammy on the 3rd, Miller/Cleary-Emmerton/Andersson-Tootoo/Eaves on the 3rd. Haven't even mentioned Tatar and Nyquist yet.

Now we can move some guys around. bert plays well with datsyuk, but on the other hand datsyuk likes having Abby on his line. babcock loves Miller so he is in. TooToo is the only "tough guy" on the team. The only line that Nyquist and tatar could play on if everyone is healthy would be the 4th. They are not checkers. This is a group with severe issues and limitations.

If everyone is healthy, do the lines. Z-Dat-Abby on the 1st, Franzen-Weiss-Alfie on the 2nd, Bert-helm-Sammy on the 3rd, Miller/Cleary-Emmerton/Andersson-Tootoo/Eaves on the 3rd. Haven't even mentioned Tatar and Nyquist yet.

Now we can move some guys around. bert plays well with datsyuk, but on the other hand datsyuk likes having Abby on his line. babcock loves Miller so he is in. TooToo is the only "tough guy" on the team. The only line that Nyquist and tatar could play on if everyone is healthy would be the 4th. They are not checkers. This is a group with severe issues and limitations.

I have a very good feeling the 3rd line will be

Nyq-helm- tatar

Guest The Axe

Having Cleary on the team would leave no room for Taro Tsujimoto. UGH!

Ha!

Guest The Axe

Ya it will be the best 3rd line in hockey. Having a 3rd like that will take some pressure off the top 6 and allow us to come in waves and start wearing down teams.

Agreed. Freshness is key. Speed kills.

Why This is such a joke with Him Like he is some elite player Have you seen him play he is like the slowest play on the ice He must have some stuff on Kenny and Babcock

I would have thought the current signings indicted that useless piece of s*** would annoy another fan base

He wasn't helping the team get INTO the playoffs at all, which they almost missed, if you forgot about that? He did turn it on in the playoffs, but up until then? That was painful to watch... He was seriously dragging the team down at points in the season

Ahh so it's all Cleary's fault the Wings almost missed the playoffs? Had nothing to do with losing two top 4 dmen, injuries, and a young defense who needed time to gel? Guess I'm an idiot then. :rolleyes:

Your Newfie status is blinding you from reality.

I'd actually have to BE a newfie for that to happen. The reality is, is that a team with a bunch of small, skilled players isn't gonna get you far. Do you need skill guys? Yes! But you need guys like Cleary to. Certainly glad Holland doesn't live in your reality or we would be icing a smurf roster like the Habs each and every year.

With Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfie, Franzen, Weiss, and Abby (you can't not play him with Dats at this point. His suspension proved his value) why is everyone so sure Cleary would be in the top 6? He is a role player. With the forwards the Wings have now, his role is grind, PK, and give the bottom 6 some secondary scoring. Sure he may get some 2nd unit PP time to get in the goalies face.

It isn't gys like Tatar or Nyquist who will lose roster spots with a Cleary signing. It is guys like Sammy, Tootoo and Eaves. Guys like Bert will have to fight for a spot. There will be injuries all season. Everyone will get their chance to play. Dunno if everyone has forgotten, but that is the exact reason why the Wings have made the run they did this year! Maybe people should see how the roster actually shapes up by the end of the summer before getting all bent out of shape now. Ever think that just MAYBE a trade or two will still happen?

Guest Playmaker

I'd actually have to BE a newfie for that to happen. The reality is, is that a team with a bunch of small, skilled players isn't gonna get you far. Do you need skill guys? Yes! But you need guys like Cleary to. Certainly glad Holland doesn't live in your reality or we would be icing a smurf roster like the Habs each and every year.

With Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfie, Franzen, Weiss, and Abby (you can't not play him with Dats at this point. His suspension proved his value) why is everyone so sure Cleary would be in the top 6? He is a role player. With the forwards the Wings have now, his role is grind, PK, and give the bottom 6 some secondary scoring. Sure he may get some 2nd unit PP time to get in the goalies face.

It isn't gys like Tatar or Nyquist who will lose roster spots with a Cleary signing. It is guys like Sammy, Tootoo and Eaves. Guys like Bert will have to fight for a spot. There will be injuries all season. Everyone will get their chance to play. Dunno if everyone has forgotten, but that is the exact reason why the Wings have made the run they did this year! Maybe people should see how the roster actually shapes up by the end of the summer before getting all bent out of shape now. Ever think that just MAYBE a trade or two will still happen?

You list yourself as being from Newfoundland. So it would lead one to believe that is where you are from.

We need players like Cleary used to be. In his prime, he had a role and played it to perfection. Age and injuries have taken a serious toll on his ability to fill the role we need him to. He absolutely has no place as a top 6 player. Abedelkader has replaced him in that capacity. Andersson, Helm, Tatar and Nyquist are better and cheaper than Cleary and provide more speed,scoring ability and better defensive skills. Eaves and Miller are excellent penalty killers and also have more skill and speed and are cheaper. Cleary could not put up points playing with Z or Dats, how will he contribute to secondary scoring? Cleary is not big, not tough, does not play well defensively and does not block the net on the PP. There isn't much he does do well at this point in his career.

If the Wings had a shortage on forwards I could see signing him to a one year deal for 2 million or less. But 3 years? I can't imagine how broken down his body will be by then. It will be another Samuelsson case being stuck with a totally unproductive player that the Wings won't be able to rid themselves of.

The Wings are also not lacking character or leadership or hard working players in any way. If they were loaded with rookies, keeping him would make sense. But they have an abundance of older guys who have won cups, are good leaders and good "in the room".

Edited by Playmaker

Cleary is so bad at hockey it makes me question whether he is generally a bad person or not. He brings nothing to the table, he had a stretch of 4-5 games this whole year where he was worth a damn.

edit: I really hope the Avs sign him, I have a friend who is a huge Avs fan and always talks about how terrible he is. I mean Col does need leadership :)

Edited by ben_usmc

FYI, in case any of you are going a little nuts like I am. On my iPhone the MLive app has an article saying they resigned Cleary for three years. If I email that same story and use the link on a computer - it is to an article about Detroit wanting to keep Cleary. So, MLive obviously has some problems.

Yeah but he's not playing on their team.

Exactly.

Ill say it again, he's Osgood 2.0. Osgood was horrendous for two regular seasons...not bad, horrendous. Useless. But he had decent playoffs, and he was Holland's favorite son (think Don Kelly/Jim Leyland), so he kept him around.

Cleary was so bad this year, I thought he'd retire after the season. Then he had a good enoigh playoff to give Holland an excuse to resign him. You could see it coming.

Let's stay on topic here, not re-signing Cleary and hoping some other team devilishly swoops in and steals him away from us! How DARE you steal our great player!! (shaking fist, and then when they leave, high fiving everyone in sight...)

from puck daddy http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/learned-elegy-joffrey-lupul-views-advanced-hockey-stats-131435216.html

I know Danny Cleary has been a Red Wing since time out of mind but when reports show Damien Brunner was asking for something like three years at $3.5 million per and you say, "Too rich for my blood," but then give a 34-year old with no knees to speak of $900,000 less per year than that for the same term, you're making a bad and awful decision.