• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#41 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

I don't mind re-signing Cleary, but NOT for 3 years and NOT for that cap hit.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#42 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Update (4:40 p.m. ET): So about that whole report… Just forget it. Pleiness updates his story saying the team isn’t close at all to re-signing the veteran forward but they’re willing to do it if they can shed salary first.

Seems Holland's lack of trading away part of his huge stack of forwards is causing problems with getting Cleary resigned. LOL Come on Kenny now you gotta make a trade!!!

RedWing fan behind enemy lines

#43 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

At this point re-signing ANY forward is mind blowing logic. Let alone a declining Cleary taking up a roster spot that could be filled by SEVERAL better options...I just hope and pray this signing doesn't get finalized

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#44 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

For all intents and purpose Cleary is back, they will re-sign him when they clear some salary. So the news is 'you will have Cleary, not today, but soon.'

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#45 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

This is a nightmareeee please wake me up please

I can't believe what our front office's mind set is "Who and what can we get rid of to get Cleary back!? I don't know but we better do it fast, I've already promised him 2.6 millions ASAP!"

Edited by Kindl Surprise, 06 July 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#46 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Thank you to the mod that changed the title. Mlive is typically a good source, but it seems that didn't have the details correct here.

#47 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,264 posts

This is a nightmareeee please wake me up please

Cleary surprise...

And thank you whoever changed the title...

Edited by Rivalred, 06 July 2013 - 04:02 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#48 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

So we are signing this "has been" and we have to trade some up and coming or even more qualifing players to do this.  PUKE!!!!

#49 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hopefully Kenny finds a way to trade Gus & Tatar to make room for this WARRIOR!!!!!!

wcz3.jpg

#50 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

This doesn't make sense though...Kenny would just be signing another veteran to join Bert and Sammy in the press box

#51 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

For all intents and purpose Cleary is back, they will re-sign him when they clear some salary. So the news is 'you will have Cleary, not today, but soon.'

No, the news is that they'll probably sign him if they're able to clear some salary. What do you think the words "the team isn’t close at all to re-signing the veteran forward" mean?

Edited by Crymson, 06 July 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#52 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

No, the news is that they'll probably sign him if they're able to clear some salary. What do you think the words "the team isn’t close at all to re-signing the veteran forward" mean?

Well the whole "They want to re-sign him once they clear salary' part that was after the headline threw me. I know, reading a whole article isn't your game.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#53 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Good lord why
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#54 FedorovFan5

FedorovFan5

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

I like Cleary but it's time to make a change.  This team struggled mightily at times last year and Cleary's play has been declining for 2 years straight now.  He's doesn't have the wheels/endurance to play the type of offense this team wants to play.  I can't count the number of times i saw the Wings break out last year with Cleary not able to join the rush, or how many times Cleary hit the blue line and just dumped in b/c he didn't have the speed to beat defenders or the size/strength to overpower them.  His best play came in front of the net on power plays, but he wasn't great at it (not like Holmstrom) and not worth the contract being mentioned.  Great grit player, great locker room guy, etc but not a $2.5M player in a salary cap era. 

#55 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Awful news.

Just awful.

#56 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Anytime you have a relationship with a long time player like Cleary a handshake and a gentleman's promise usually is good enough to make a player happy for now. Its old school and

sounds like what has occurred in this case with Holland and Co. reaching a deal and once other trades go through it will be finalized. I know I've done it many times with good folks I trust

in business. Like Shaman464 said I think you can count on Cleary being a Wing, its pretty much a done deal. Would imagine the Morrow talk is now over as well.

#57 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Well the whole "They want to re-sign him once they clear salary' part that was after the headline threw me. I know, reading a whole article isn't your game.

You mean this? 

The Detroit Red Wings would like to have forward Daniel Cleary back, but the only way that will happen is if they can shed some salary.

To me, that looks a lot more like "They would life to have him back, but they can't do so unless they can shed some salary." There's also the bit about this possibility being uncertain, and him being free to sign with any team.

Edited by Crymson, 06 July 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#58 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Anytime you have a relationship with a long time player like Cleary a handshake and a gentleman's promise usually is good enough to make a player happy for now. Its old school and

sounds like what has occurred in this case with Holland and Co. reaching a deal and once other trades go through it will be finalized. I know I've done it many times with good folks I trust

in business. Like Shaman464 said I think you can count on Cleary being a Wing, its pretty much a done deal. Would imagine the Morrow talk is now over as well.

The fact that such agreements rarely hold water in the sports world aside, making such an agreement would mean Cleary waiting for something that might not ever happen, and thus possibly missing out on deals he could have gotten from other teams. As such, the probability of this being the case is low.

Edited by Crymson, 06 July 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#59 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Just like we have Toots for the regular season ...we have Daniel for the post season. No problem with this alleged signing

#60 MileHighWingsGuy

MileHighWingsGuy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

The fact that such agreements rarely hold water in the sports world aside, making such an agreement would mean Cleary waiting for something that might not ever happen, and thus possibly missing out on deals he could have gotten from other teams. As such, the probability of this being the case is low.

Cleary has fully tested the market, he knows whats out there.