• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#121 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

I'd actually have to BE a newfie for that to happen. The reality is, is that a team with a bunch of small, skilled players isn't gonna get you far. Do you need skill guys? Yes! But you need guys like Cleary to. Certainly glad Holland doesn't live in your reality or we would be icing a smurf roster like the Habs each and every year. 

With Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfie, Franzen, Weiss, and Abby (you can't not play him with Dats at this point. His suspension proved his value) why is everyone so sure Cleary would be in the top 6? He is a role player. With the forwards the Wings have now, his role is grind, PK, and give the bottom 6 some secondary scoring. Sure he may get some 2nd unit PP time to get in the goalies face. 

It isn't gys like Tatar or Nyquist who will lose roster spots with a Cleary signing. It is guys like Sammy, Tootoo and Eaves. Guys like Bert will have to fight for a spot. There will be injuries all season. Everyone will get their chance to play. Dunno if everyone has forgotten, but that is the exact reason why the Wings have made the run they did this year! Maybe people should see how the roster actually shapes up by the end of the summer before getting all bent out of shape now. Ever think that just MAYBE a trade or two will still happen? 

Cleary is so bad at hockey it makes me question whether he is generally a bad person or not.  He brings nothing to the table, he had a stretch of 4-5 games this whole year where he was worth a damn.

edit: I really hope the Avs sign him, I have a friend who is a huge Avs fan and always talks about how terrible he is.  I mean Col does need leadership :)

Edited by ben_usmc, 07 July 2013 - 09:01 PM.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#122 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

FYI, in case any of you are going a little nuts like I am. On my iPhone the MLive app has an article saying they resigned Cleary for three years. If I email that same story and use the link on a computer - it is to an article about Detroit wanting to keep Cleary. So, MLive obviously has some problems.

#123 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Yeah but he's not playing on their team.

Exactly.

Ill say it again, he's Osgood 2.0. Osgood was horrendous for two regular seasons...not bad, horrendous. Useless. But he had decent playoffs, and he was Holland's favorite son (think Don Kelly/Jim Leyland), so he kept him around.

Cleary was so bad this year, I thought he'd retire after the season. Then he had a good enoigh playoff to give Holland an excuse to resign him. You could see it coming.

#124 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Let's stay on topic here, not re-signing Cleary and hoping some other team devilishly swoops in and steals him away from us! How DARE you steal our great player!! (shaking fist, and then when they leave, high fiving everyone in sight...)

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#125 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

from puck daddy http://sports.yahoo....-131435216.html

I know Danny Cleary has been a Red Wing since time out of mind but when reports show Damien Brunner was asking for something like three years at $3.5 million per and you say, "Too rich for my blood," but then give a 34-year old with no knees to speak of $900,000 less per year than that for the same term, you're making a bad and awful decision.

#126 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

The author of that article is Ryan Lambert, whose hate for the Red Wings runs so deep as to manifest itself in everything he writes about hockey. An example? He once wrote an article criticizing Lidstrom for retiring during the finals.

He's without a doubt the least-liked of the Puck Daddy writers.

#127 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

The author of that article is Ryan Lambert, whose hate for the Red Wings runs so deep as to manifest itself in everything he writes about hockey. An example? He once wrote an article criticizing Lidstrom for retiring during the finals.

All true. And so help me God, I agreed with his entire statement. Excuse me while I go vomit while showering.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#128 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Who cares? Do you disagree with his quote?

#129 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

But he makes a good point.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#130 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

But he makes a good point.

Lambert is a tool and any time he writes about the Wings you should take the opposite to be true.

#131 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

Lambert is a tool and any time he writes about the Wings you should take the opposite to be true.

So you think clearly for 3 years at 3m is a good idea? Lol genius.

#132 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Doesn't sound like Cleary is coming back, but according to Khan the 3 year $3 mill was offer wasn't true.

A. Holland and coach Mike Babcock like Cleary and all the things he brings to the team (offense, defense, ability to play a top-six role or on the third line, penalty killing, net-front presence on power play). The Red Wings made him an offer, he turned it down. Now, they would need to clear some cap space to bring him back. I don't think that will happen.

A. Nobody has said Cleary will be back, only that it's a possibility that hinges on the club's ability to shed salary. And that rumor of three years for $3 million a season is false. If that were the Red Wings' offer, Cleary would have taken it. I don't know what their offer was, but I'm told it was closer to $2 million a year for the first two seasons and less than that for the third year.

http://www.mlive.com...gs - MLive.com)

#133 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Every day I login hoping to see the announcement that Cleary has signed somewhere else...hopefully it's only a matter of time now.

#134 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Every day I login hoping to see the announcement that Cleary has signed somewhere else...hopefully it's only a matter of time now.

Same here. I have the bit of hope we will sign Brunner and clearly signs elsewhere.

Edited by DeGraa55, 25 July 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#135 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Doesn't sound like Cleary is coming back, but according to Khan the 3 year $3 mill was offer wasn't true.

Good data. Hope its the full story.

#136 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yup. Cleary was great for us. But his skill set has declined and while he still puts up points, I don't feel its an accurate reflection of what he can do. He wasn't one of our best players in the playoffs, yet he had ten points. I don't know how he got those points because he was never an impact player this year. He'd be good on the fourth line but not as a top 6 guy.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#137 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Well, funny enough we're in a thread about him, because the 2nd best player in 09 was..

Dano22.jpg

Huet played for us in 09?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#138 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

A. The odds are against it, for the reasons stated above. I've received a lot of questions about potential moves to clear cap space and roster spots. I'll address that on Friday.

i'm interested to hear the potential moves.. can someone link to that article when they post it?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#139 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Same here. I have the bit of hope we will sign Brunner and clearly signs elsewhere.

The Brunner ship has sailed. He turned down a very reasonable offer, and now the Wings have neither cap space nor roster space for him.

Well, funny enough we're in a thread about him, because the 2nd best player in 09 was..

Dano22.jpg

He was great, but Zatta and Franzen were better.

#140 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

1. wait for new post in cleary thread

2. click in hopes of seeing he was signed to another team

3. disappointment

4. repeat 

:P 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."