• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I'm guessing that we're more or less done - after resigning Nyquist, Andersson and Smith...and, likely, buying out or moving Samuelsson to get us under the cap.

What do we think?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.875m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.875m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Brendan Smith ($1.875m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,094,545; BONUSES: $3,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $215,455

Forwards:

...I don't watch a ton of non-wings hockey. But my guy who watches just about every game in the league L-O-V-E-S, loves Stephen Weiss. He's been talking about him being a Wing for years. The early reports I've read all sound great too. I'm excited. I think we've finally got our second line center. Enables us to play Pav and Hank together full-time, which is big. Not sure how the rest of the top six - Alfie, Mule and Abby (or Bert? I hope not) - is organized. But I think our top six will be markedly better as a whole. That third line that was so great in the post-season is still more or less in tact, with Tatar in for Brunner. I like that. Helm being back would be a big boost. Miller, Bert, Eaves, Tootoo. Shouldn't be terrible.

Defensivel
y:

...Should be better here as well. DD back full-time is enormous. Smith, Kindl (and Lashoff too) with a
year under their belt. Quincey with a year back under his belt. Kronner and E with a year of no Lidstrom under their belt. Should be a better year for these guys.

...And Jimm
y. Last year was big for his confidence, I think. He thinks of himself as an elite goaltender now. And that can't hurt.

QUESTIONS FOR THE BOARD:

How is this squad going to compete with the Boston's, Pittsburgh's, etc. of the big bad East? What are our biggest weaknesses, as you see them? Is there any hope for alleviating said weaknesses before the post-season?

Guest DeGraa55

With your lines? Or with how Babcock will use them?

Abby was in the top 6 because DAT wants him. So why would he be on second line?

I'm guessing that we're more or less done - after resigning Nyquist, Andersson and Smith...and, likely, buying out or moving Samuelsson to get us under the cap.

What do we think?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Gustav Nyquist ($1.875m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.875m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)

Brendan Smith ($1.875m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

OTHER

Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,094,545; BONUSES: $3,010,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $215,455

Forwards:

...I don't watch a ton of non-wings hockey. But my guy who watches just about every game in the league L-O-V-E-S, loves Stephen Weiss. He's been talking about him being a Wing for years. The early reports I've read all sound great too. I'm excited. I think we've finally got our second line center. Enables us to play Pav and Hank together full-time, which is big. Not sure how the rest of the top six - Alfie, Mule and Abby (or Bert? I hope not) - is organized. But I think our top six will be markedly better as a whole. That third line that was so great in the post-season is still more or less in tact, with Tatar in for Brunner. I like that. Helm being back would be a big boost. Miller, Bert, Eaves, Tootoo. Shouldn't be terrible.

Defensively:

...Should be better here as well. DD back full-time is enormous. Smith, Kindl (and Lashoff too) with a year under their belt. Quincey with a year back under his belt. Kronner and E with a year of no Lidstrom under their belt. Should be a better year for these guys.

...And Jimmy. Last year was big for his confidence, I think. He thinks of himself as an elite goaltender now. And that can't hurt.

QUESTIONS FOR THE BOARD:

How is this squad going to compete with the Boston's, Pittsburgh's, etc. of the big bad East? What are our biggest weaknesses, as you see them? Is there any hope for alleviating said weaknesses before the post-season?

OK, people got get this straight before they post, I am sick of seeing this all over the forums---Samuelsson CANNOT be bought out now, the period for Compliance Buyouts ended June 30. ALSO-Sammy has a NTC=NO TRADE CLAUSE. Third- if they Waive him his Salary of $3Mil STILL COUNTS AGAINST THE CAP because he is OVER 35-unless someone claims him.

I expect more goal scoring and for the young guys to either step up their game or have a bit of an adjustment period (still). As for where the Wings end up in the standings or playoffs, that's never a sure thing to predict so I'll just say that I'll enjoy watching this new version of the roster!

This is LGW, so anything short of going 82-0-0 and then a 16-0 run to the cup, coupled with a league record in fighting majors and trading Cleary for the 1st overall pick in 2014 will be an unmitigated disaster which can only be resolved by the instant dismissal of Holland and Babcock

Eastern Conference Finals.

I believe if we add a top 4 defenceman at some point during the year we will win the cup.

I'm nervous about it being an Olympic year. Looking at the Wings roster, it is likely that we will have roughly 8 players in the tournament. That's a lot of hockey to be played and injuries could definetly become a huge factor again next year.

Sweden: Franzen, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, Kronwall, Ericsson

Russia: Datsyuk

Czech Republic: Kindl

Slovakia: Tatar

USA: Howard (backup)

Judging by what has happened so far:

IN

Alfredsson + Weiss

OUT

Fils + Brunner + Colaiacovo

NEEDS

grit, size + top pairing guy + enforcer

I would say Weiss is an upgrade ove Filpulla. In terms of Alfredsson it needs to be seen, what he can provide at this point in his career. The young guns (Dekeyser, Smith, Nyquist and Tatar) now have gained a bit of experience and should take a step forward, although Dekeyser hasn't played a lot. I am looking forward to the pairing of Dekeyser + Smith should be a really good one for years to come.

Wings are still without a top pairing guy I think Kronwall has shown, what he really is a great second pairing guy who *should* focus on his shutdown role instead of trying to run the powerplay like a quarterback that's not his job and personally I feel it is asking too much from Kronner.

Compared to last year I think, the team has slightly improved but not enough to consider them that much better than last year. So given the status quo I'd say they are for sure a contender, but only for the playoffs and not for the cup. Replacing a pure goalscorer is not an easy task...

Edited by frankgrimes

Cup or bust. They could've won it this year, or at least made Finals. Now they are better, deeper, and more dynamic up front. Plus, going to a new Conference in which there are very few real threats. Finals at the very least, but after a few years' hiatus I'm thinking championship.

So even if they waive Sammy and bury him in Toledo the cap hit is still there?

Edited to remove a comment that was in poor taste. Apologies to those it may have offended.

Edited by TheXym

Guest The Axe

If Sammy is placed on LTIR, does his salarry count against the cap?

This seems so stupid.

Place Sammy and Bert on LTIR.

Trade Tootoo.

Resign Cleary.

Resign the 3 RFAs.

Done.

I don't know what line Sammy played on in Florida, but wonder what the odds were that he was centered by Weiss who now signed with the Wings

And if there was any chemistry there, what are the chances it would happen again

Edited by Rivalred

Guest Crymson

Yes the cap hit is still there since he's a 35 player.

And I'll ignore the dumb limo ride comment.

No, it's there because the CBA does not allow cap hits above 900K to be stashed in the minors anymore. Age doesn't go into the equation.

With that roster, I think another trip to the 2nd round would be sufficient. I'd be surprised if they get further. This isn't exactly the 2009 roster.

Also, I like Nyquist on the 2nd line over Abdelkader. Abby on the top two lines is just further indication that we have a lack of real scoring wingers. But Nyquist deserves to play with a Weiss or Franzen. He has a higher ceiling than Abby as well.

To those people saying Cup or bust, why do you feel that way? I was saying stuff like that for about 15 years, but not anymore. Roster isn't that good and IMO it's an unrealistic expectation with this group.

We replaced Filppula with Weiss and added Alfredsson. Is that really all last year's team was missing?