• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

There are only two teams in that list better than us: Pittsburgh and Boston.

I mean, Alfredsson left Ottawa after like 17 years to come here because he thought we had a better chance at the cup. Yet you still have them rated ahead of us. Confusing.

Yes it had nothing to do with the report that Ottawa didn't have the money for him as they thought he was going to retire.

No offense, opinions are different but I will be one happy camper if this team is proofing me wrong. Like others have mentioned, there are so many variables it is really hard to predict and I rather go in with low expectations (like this year), and become surprised instead of going in with tooo high expectations and end up disappointed.

As for u = you, not using them makes it just easier to read at least from my point of view. I know some people, who are are using "r" (are) and all that stuff and basically reading their messages has become almost useless.

btw. I think the Senators are going to play with a chip on their shoulder, they want to show Alfredsson how wrong his decision was, Ryan wants to stick it to the Ducks and they are looking forward to a 100 % Karlson, Andersson and Spezza this team is going to be dangerous, that's for sure.

Pittsburgh as always will be a regular season powerhouse, no doubt playoffs as always are a different story :-)

Yes it had nothing to do with the report that Ottawa didn't have the money for him as they thought he was going to retire.

Is that why they offered him a contract? :eh:

Alfredsson explicitly stated that he wanted to leave for a better chance at a cup. And Murray explicitly stated that it wasn't a financial thing for the Senators.

From Canada.com:

But after 17 years, Alfredsson told Murray he wanted to try something else. That he felt Detroit had a better chance to win.

“‘I know I’m being a little selfish Bryan, but this is what I want to try to do,’” Alfredsson told Murray.

“This is not a financial thing in Alfie’s mind or my mind,” Murray said.

You can find Murray's full press conference here if you'd like to learn what happened.

They certainly had the capspace. As CapGeek supports, they're currently over $13M below the cap ceiling, so that wasn't a problem. And while the Senators are on an internal cap, as you can see below Melnyk gave the green light to Alfredsson being paid whatever it took.

Alfredsson signed a one-year contract with the Red Wings reported to be worth $5.5 million with bonuses included. Murray admitted there was disagreement over the financial terms in his initial conversation with Barry, but that ultimately Senators owner Eugene Melnyk gave him the green light to sign Alfredsson to whatever amount he wanted.

"Just get it done," Murray said he was told by Melnyk. "Just pay him."

Edited by Zetts

Guest Playmaker

If he was really interested in his best chance to win the Cup, he would have signed with Boston or Chicago. Ottawa and Detroit were both eliminated in the second round and all of Detroit's best players, like Alfie are past their prime. No one ever says its about money.

If he was really interested in his best chance to win the Cup, he would have signed with Boston or Chicago. Ottawa and Detroit were both eliminated in the second round and all of Detroit's best players, like Alfie are past their prime. No one ever says its about money.

Yes, there are other considerations like playing style or perhaps the number of Swedes here. Perhaps Boston doesn't suit his style. But given that Murray would have matched whatever Detroit paid (as I demonstrated in my last post) and that Alfredsson had a very long history in Ottawa, I'm inclined to believe him when he says that he chose Detroit over Ottawa for a better chance to win the cup.

It's not saying that we're the best team in the league. It's saying that we're better than the Senators. That's all I ever said - that Alfredsson believes we have a better chance to win than the Senators.

Edited by Zetts

Guest Playmaker

LOL, of course Murray is saying that now, after the fact. What's he going to say, hey, Ottawa, I dropped the ball on this one and I totally low balled our icon and insulted him, prompting him to look elsewhere? Or like Alfredsson is going to say oh, I left because I felt unloved by the amount of money they offered, that they didn't offer a star like me more money and I had my agent call the Wings because I know how much they love small old Swedes? I suppose you believe Ken Holland when he says how happy he is to have Mikael Samulesson and Todd Bertuzzi on the roster?

A canadian portal had an article on that and basically it happened like this:

Alfredsson agent: we are fine with going on a 1 year basis, but we want around 6 mill

Murray: thats not a fair number

Alfredsson + agent: sure felt insulted and pissed I mean this guy has given the Senators lot's of years on a hometown discount -->relationship went sore -->he looked for other options

as this became clear

Murray realized his mistake but at that point is way too late.

It it was really cup or bust for Alfredsson he would have signed with Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh or Los Angeles.

A canadian portal had an article on that and basically it happened like this:

Alfredsson agent: we are fine with going on a 1 year basis, but we want around 6 mill

Murray: thats not a fair number

Alfredsson + agent: sure felt insulted and pissed I mean this guy has given the Senators lot's of years on a hometown discount -->relationship went sore -->he looked for other options

as this became clear

Murray realized his mistake but at that point is way too late.

It it was really cup or bust for Alfredsson he would have signed with Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh or Los Angeles.

You don't know that any of those teams wanted him. Plus we went to the conference finals last year's and we were one game away from knocking out the president trophy champs, and our team will only do better this year. I think alfie and Weiss put us over the edge. Were a contender

he signed a one year deal therefore it doesnt matter if the players are past their prime.

I wonder how hard Alfie will get booed when we play in Ottawa.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Not gonna make some bold prediction,but the fact that the team has solved 2/3 needs is very encouraging.I'm talking about Alfie and Weiss as legitimate top 6 forwards.We are still one top 2 D-man missing,but think we're gonna develop him from within rather than acquiring one via trade.

Really hope the kids are gonna get the chance,nothing against veteran presence,but there's enough already...so hopefully goodbye to Sammy and Cleary

Z-Datsyuk-Alfie

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen

Abdel-Helm-Tatar

Miller-Andy-Eaves

Kronner-Deke

Kindl-Eric

Smith-Q

I guess last years predictions were we were a border line playoff team?

I suppose adding "Al" and Weiss help? Maybe. Injuries aside of course for everyone.

More I think about it I still think we are a border line playoff team.

I am in the same boat, the defense hasn't been fixed (wasn't possible because nobody was available) plus a new division so I think expecting to compete for a playoffspot is really realistic, everything beyond that would be just a huge bonus.

The defense will be improved by the younger guys improving. When you bring in younger guys you're going to see growing pains.

Yeah and that's not a problem, I still think the pairing Dekeyser - Smith is going to a good one in the future and I am looking forwar to see them in action. Ericsson and Kronner have to do a bit of mentoring here but they've learned from an alltime top 3 defender so shouldn't be too hard.

This team is better then a borderline playoff team, especially in the Eastern Conference. I agree with whoever said we are probably around 3rd or 4th best in the conference. I'm expecting a pretty good year, and I don't think that is unrealistic at all.

I guess last years predictions were we were a border line playoff team?

I suppose adding "Al" and Weiss help? Maybe. Injuries aside of course for everyone.

More I think about it I still think we are a border line playoff team.

Helm is also an addition we didn't have last year. Assuming he doesn't have yet another setback and can play this season, he's a huge part of this team.

This is LGW, so anything short of going 82-0-0 and then a 16-0 run to the cup, coupled with a league record in fighting majors and trading Cleary for the 1st overall pick in 2014 will be an unmitigated disaster which can only be resolved by the instant dismissal of Holland and Babcock

HAHAHA, made my day. :lol: