• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Hmm.. bad news, if true, on the Samuelsson front. But if capgeek.com's 5.5M Alfredsson cap-hit is incaccurate - - and it's more like 3M - - then moving or buying out Tootoo or Eaves should be enough to get us under the cap.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.875m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.875m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Brendan Smith ($1.875m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,194,545; BONUSES: $3,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $884,545

Less travel, easier teams to play against.

I'm thinking at least East Finals.

BLUE ADAMS....THE BUYOUT PERIOD IS NOW FINISHED...DETROIT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO YOU EVEN READ ANYONE ELSE'S POSTS CANNNNNOOOTTTTTT BUY ANYONE OUT UNTIL NEXT YEAR.

Edited by SaCkaveli20

To those people saying Cup or bust, why do you feel that way? I was saying stuff like that for about 15 years, but not anymore. Roster isn't that good and IMO it's an unrealistic expectation with this group.

We replaced Filppula with Weiss and added Alfredsson. Is that really all last year's team was missing?

Your also forgetting a healthy helm, a full season with nyquist, Tatar, Anderson, dekeyser. On top of that experience. Playoff experience for a lot of guys. This team is much better than last season

With that roster, I think another trip to the 2nd round would be sufficient. I'd be surprised if they get further. This isn't exactly the 2009 roster.

Also, I like Nyquist on the 2nd line over Abdelkader. Abby on the top two lines is just further indication that we have a lack of real scoring wingers. But Nyquist deserves to play with a Weiss or Franzen. He has a higher ceiling than Abby as well.

I disagree that this is the 2009 roster and I ask think this is a team poised to make it to the conference finals or the SCF. We are a better team than last year. Even last year, alfredsson but up decent numbers on an offensive depleted team. If healthy he can score 70 points in his sleep playing with Pasha, Hank, Mule Ect....he is also a VERY good two way player. I wasn't keen on this trade when it happened but if you look at the guys stats and who he has had to play with, I am confident that he will generate offense that we did not have last year. Weiss is better than flip and he is stronger. That's an instant upgrade and again you have a shoot first mentality. Our third line is better than 2009 and with the emergence on Gus, Dekeyser and Big E, our young guys are turning into legit players for this roster. Howard was awesome and is playing the best hockey of his career. I certainly think this team can be a contender. A few tweaks and we will be close.

I think a lot of folks are still wondering what a healthy team can do as last season, even though it was only 48 games, evey game counted. Getting into the playoffs by winning the last game of the season and two rounds of hockey where each series went to 7 games. Yes, take confidence out of that the Wings were the only team in be playoffs to push the Hawks to 7 games, but turnovers are what burnt this team.

I guess any addition to that success and refinement is a bonus, but maybe that is why folks are having a hard time handling the dead weight that canot be shed while the 1-2 players we want re-signed weren't due to money.

My expectation is heart, every player to play with heart.

Your also forgetting a healthy helm, a full season with nyquist, Tatar, Anderson, dekeyser. On top of that experience. Playoff experience for a lot of guys. This team is much better than last season

I hope so. Seems like we've had the injury bug for some time now, so you never know about the health.

I disagree that this is the 2009 roster and I ask think this is a team poised to make it to the conference finals or the SCF. We are a better team than last year. Even last year, alfredsson but up decent numbers on an offensive depleted team. If healthy he can score 70 points in his sleep playing with Pasha, Hank, Mule Ect....he is also a VERY good two way player. I wasn't keen on this trade when it happened but if you look at the guys stats and who he has had to play with, I am confident that he will generate offense that we did not have last year. Weiss is better than flip and he is stronger. That's an instant upgrade and again you have a shoot first mentality. Our third line is better than 2009 and with the emergence on Gus, Dekeyser and Big E, our young guys are turning into legit players for this roster. Howard was awesome and is playing the best hockey of his career. I certainly think this team can be a contender. A few tweaks and we will be close.

Scoring 70 points at age 40 is no small feat in the NHL, especially doing it "in his sleep" as you put it.

The few tweaks would be nice, but that depends on how much cap room we'll have during the deadline. Doesn't seem like we'll have much. Besides, Holland has become stale at deadlines.

Guest The Axe

I hope so. Seems like we've had the injury bug for some time now, so you never know about the health.

Scoring 70 points at age 40 is no small feat in the NHL, especially doing it "in his sleep" as you put it.

The few tweaks would be nice, but that depends on how much cap room we'll have during the deadline. Doesn't seem like we'll have much. Besides, Holland has become stale at deadlines.

Hossa barely got to 70 pts

To those people saying Cup or bust, why do you feel that way? I was saying stuff like that for about 15 years, but not anymore. Roster isn't that good and IMO it's an unrealistic expectation with this group.

We replaced Filppula with Weiss and added Alfredsson. Is that really all last year's team was missing?

I believe we can win the Cup with this roster because it IS good. Our defense is going to be really good in a few years, but what impressed me most is their ability to lock it down in big games. They may not finish first in the league, but the balance of youth and experience, added to their big game performances, makes me think they've really got something.

Plus, I expect big things from Tatar and Nyquist this year, making a potent third line. Weiss makes our second line a good one finally, and a top line of Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson could be lethal. The only line that would lack an identity is our fourth, and it's still early. We've got to dump some roster space, and maybe Holland makes unloads some contracts for a gritty fourth line.

Look at how well they did this year with a garbage roster. Now, the roster issues will be resolved, the lines are balanced and have identities, they're motivated, and they can only do better than last year.

I know playoffs are a crap shoot, but does anyone really see any team other than Boston or maybe Pittsburgh posing a really serious threat to the Wings? Boston got a little worse, and Pittsburgh is always a 50/50 flip on whether they'll show up or not in the playoffs.

I think we'll finish top three in the Conference, and make the Finals at least.

We'll have balanced, deep scoring, enthusiastic youth, we'll be more aggressive (Tatar, Alfredsson, Weiss [to a point]) than we've been before. It's not an all-star roster, but you don't need one to win anymore.

Every area has been improved, it's hard to see how this roster wouldn't compete for the Cup.

Guest The Axe

And he wasn't age 40.

Yah. 70 pts today is like 100 ten years ago.

I predict that if we stay healthy and Z gets to adjust back to LW with Dats at C we will see Z put up 30 goals this season. I'll also predict Weiss hitting 60 points with talented wingers. All of this hinges on Helm's health and staying healthy to allow our Centre depth to move Z to wing. I HOPE Franzen senses that 2nd amnesty buyout could be for him next offseason and plays like he wants to keep his job.

Guest The Axe

I predict that if we stay healthy and Z gets to adjust back to LW with Dats at C we will see Z put up 30 goals this season. I'll also predict Weiss hitting 60 points with talented wingers. All of this hinges on Helm's health and staying healthy to allow our Centre depth to move Z to wing. I HOPE Franzen senses that 2nd amnesty buyout could be for him next offseason and plays like he wants to keep his job.

How would you line them up?

Zetts-Dats-Abby

Nyquist-Franzen-Alfredsson

Tatar-Weiss-Helm

Miller-Emmerton-Andersson

That is a fast team. Damn

Guest mjtm77

Zetterberg, Datsuyk, Abdelkater

Alfredsson, Weiss ,Franzen

Tatar, Helm, Nyquist

Miller, Anderson, whoever you want

Looks pretty good to me

Our two big signings in Weiss and Alfredsson are pretty good accusations. They make us a competitive team once again. For those of you saying that signing both of these players is a wash because we lost Filpulla and Brunner your crazy and/are not looking at the big picture. We lose Filpulla. A guy that drove most diehard wing fans nuts. He never peaked into the second line center he was suppose to be, he just kind of floated on the wing in our top 6. He is a very strong third line center but for 5 mil no thanks. As for “one hand on stick without the puck” Brunner (which drove me off the wall) he is replaceable. He had some sweet hands and some crazy offensive talent. He looked like he could be a prominent scorer in the NHL, but Problem is Brunner is not a top 6 forward yet. He is a great third line player, but we have Tatar for cheaper so bye bye Damien. As for our two free agent signings, Weiss a legit second line center that was “buried in Florida” as they call it. What he will bring is somewhat “unknown” but he is a second line center who is a playmaker and one that is not afraid to shoot the puck. That speaks wonders for our team. Not to mention via conference call he said he wanted to play for the wings. He dreamed of playing for us and said he would fit in our “style” if I am not mistaken he also played junior nearby in Plymouth. As for Daniel Alfredsson it feels a little funny to have him on our roster. He is also very old... But all in all he should do not too bad. He is not having to be “the guy “anymore. It’s a great fit with him being a shooter and being right handed. For those worried about his age he did play upwards of 19 minutes a game in Ottawa so I think he will be fine. We are a better team up front so stop looking at it as loose two assets, gain two assets type of thing.

We now have the ability to put the euro twins together full time or more often. And thank god cause we were all getting sick of watching Dats play on a crap line all of the time. We also have a third line that could be deadly. A solid 4th line also. I think this year will be the real deal for the Redwings up front. Our forward group now looks scary good so look out NHL. (and how could I forget to mention that we are stuck with Michael freaking Samuelsson former 30 goal scorer, Boo yaa!)

Moving onto our defense it’s looking like pretty much “unknown” I like our group and I like their potential. Although I am not too sure our defense is going to be as good as most of you think. Rookies are going to have some growing pains and they could be painful. On the other hand our defense could flourish. They are young and got some much needed experience last regular season, and in the playoffs. I will be curious to see how Danny DeKeyser plays. He looked amazing when he first started and came to the team. Was that cause he was new and under the radar? Or is he the real deal? His grand rapids playoff stint wasn’t great, but he was coming off an injury. I have huge hopes for him and he looks like very promising prospect.

Goaltending = Howard.

As for my EXPECTIONS for the team all I can say is we are going to be a very competitive team. Getting a 2nd line center was HUGE. Too bad it wasn’t Vinny because that would have been amazing. Although if his pace is actually falling drastically then it is probably for the better long term that we didn’t add him. We have a good team and I can’t wait for the season to start because it looks very promising . So people stop your complaining and go enjoy your summer. The Detroit Redwings “ will be okay”.

Guest The Axe

Zetts- dats- Abby

Mule- Weiss- alfy

Nyq-helm- Tatar

Miller- Andy- eaves

Yah. I like this.

And he wasn't age 40.

Ok, well we can argue about how difficult 70 points can be or whether he is too old or whatnot but we have a much better team than we did last year.

I say 70 points is not out of the realm for him on this team. He has done it 10 years in his career. Obviously he has to stay healthy but it's not like I am saying Miller is going to score 70! Offense- that's why Detroit brought him here....it certainly wasn't for his hair.

As khan just suggested I think the 3rd line pairing of Nyquist-helm-bertuzzi make actually work... Greatly. If Bert is really healthy that's one role I could see him quite beneficial in. Could create lots of room for the speedsters on there

I think the Wings will get to Eastern Conference Final. It remains to be seen what we do to clear up some spots and hopefully allow Gus, Tatar, and Anderson to play. Defense should be fine with 82 games instead of a fast paced 48 game chaotic season. I don't hate Fil, just always thought he was an underachiever to be honest. Sucks to lose Brunner, but damn that guy can be pushed off the puck so easily, need more grit.