Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Zetterberg, Datsuyk, Abdelkater

Alfredsson, Weiss ,Franzen

Tatar, Helm, Nyquist

Miller, Anderson,  whoever you want

Looks pretty good to me

Our two big signings in Weiss and Alfredsson are pretty good accusations.  They make us a competitive team once again.  For those of you saying that signing both of these players is a wash because we lost Filpulla and Brunner your  crazy and/are not looking at the big picture. We lose Filpulla. A guy that drove most diehard wing fans nuts. He never peaked into the second line center he was suppose to be,  he just kind of floated on the wing in our top 6. He is a very strong third line center but for 5 mil no thanks.  As for “one hand on stick without the puck” Brunner (which drove me off the wall) he is replaceable. He had some sweet hands and some crazy offensive talent. He  looked like he could be a prominent scorer in the NHL, but Problem is Brunner is not a top 6 forward  yet. He is a great third line player, but we have Tatar for cheaper so bye bye Damien.  As for our two free agent signings, Weiss a  legit second line center that was “buried in Florida” as they call it. What he will bring is somewhat “unknown” but he is a second line center who is a playmaker and one that is not afraid to shoot the puck.  That speaks wonders for our team.  Not to mention via conference call he said he wanted to play for the wings. He dreamed of playing for us and said he would fit in our “style” if I am not mistaken  he also played junior nearby in Plymouth. As for Daniel Alfredsson it feels a little funny to have him on our roster.  He is also very old... But all in all he should do not too bad.  He is not having to be “the guy “anymore.  It’s a great fit with him being a shooter and being right handed.  For those worried about his age he did play upwards of 19 minutes  a game in Ottawa so I think he will be fine.  We are a better team up front so stop looking at it as loose two assets, gain two assets type of thing.

We now have the ability to put the euro twins together full time or more often. And thank god cause we were all getting sick of watching Dats play on a crap line all of the time. We also have a third line that could be deadly. A solid 4th line also. I think this year will be the real deal for the Redwings up front.  Our forward group now looks scary good so look out NHL.  (and how could I forget to mention that we are stuck with Michael freaking Samuelsson former 30 goal scorer, Boo yaa!)   

Moving onto our defense it’s looking like pretty much  “unknown”   I like our group and I like their potential.  Although I am not too sure our defense is going to be as good as most of you think. Rookies are going to have some growing  pains and they could be painful. On the other hand our defense could flourish. They are young and got some much needed experience last regular season, and in the playoffs.  I will be curious to see how Danny DeKeyser plays. He looked amazing when he first started and came to the team.  Was that cause he was new and under the radar? Or is he the real deal?  His grand rapids playoff stint wasn’t great, but he was coming off an injury.  I have huge hopes for him and he looks like very promising prospect.

Goaltending = Howard.

As for my EXPECTIONS for the team all I can say is we are going to be a very competitive team.  Getting a 2nd line center was HUGE. Too bad it wasn’t Vinny because that would have been amazing. Although if his pace is actually falling drastically then it is probably for the better long term that we didn’t add him.  We have a good team and I can’t wait for the season to start because  it looks very promising . So people stop your complaining and go enjoy your summer. The Detroit Redwings “ will be okay”.

Posted Image

#42 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Conference Final or bust

Detroit would like to welcome the Eastern Conference

13416406403_264f5aaa63_o.jpg

#43 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

How would you line them up?

Zetts-Dats-Abby
Nyquist-Franzen-Alfredsson
Tatar-Weiss-Helm
Miller-Emmerton-Andersson

That is a fast team. Damn

Zetts- dats- Abby
Mule- Weiss- alfy
Nyq-helm- Tatar
Miller- Andy- eaves

#44 thebadguy007

thebadguy007

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

How is Abby on the first Line come on Should be on the fourth

#45 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Tatar = Conn Smythe

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#46 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Zetts- dats- Abby
Mule- Weiss- alfy
Nyq-helm- Tatar
Miller- Andy- eaves

Yah. I like this.

#47 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

And he wasn't age 40.

Ok, well we can argue about how difficult 70 points can be or whether he is too old or whatnot but we have a much better team than we did last year.
I say 70 points is not out of the realm for him on this team. He has done it 10 years in his career. Obviously he has to stay healthy but it's not like I am saying Miller is going to score 70! Offense- that's why Detroit brought him here....it certainly wasn't for his hair.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

#48 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

As khan just suggested I think the 3rd line pairing of Nyquist-helm-bertuzzi make actually work... Greatly. If Bert is really healthy that's one role I could see him quite beneficial in. Could create lots of room for the speedsters on there

#49 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

I just don't see why some folks still are not buying Abby. Great defensively and has some definite grit to his game. Power forward. Hopefully he can shut up the critics this year.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#50 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

I think the Wings will get to Eastern Conference Final. It remains to be seen what we do to clear up some spots and hopefully allow Gus, Tatar, and Anderson to play. Defense should be fine with 82 games instead of a fast paced 48 game chaotic season. I don't hate Fil, just always thought he was an underachiever to be honest. Sucks to lose Brunner, but damn that guy can be pushed off the puck so easily, need more grit.

#51 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

I just don't see why some folks still are not buying Abby. Great defensively and has some definite grit to his game. Power forward. Hopefully he can shut up the critics this year.

Maybe Babs can re-unite the Kid, Goat, and a Jackass line (Abs-Dats-Cleary).

#52 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

He won me over BIG TIME in the playoffs.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#53 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

My expectation is that they compete on a nightly basis, avoid the injury plague that has seemed to decimate our team every year since we went to the Cup Finals in 09, and ultimately reach the Cup finals and win the Cup. My expectation will also be to once again here that the Penguins "are the favorites to win the Stanley Cup" for the 5th year in a row by the hockey experts.

All kidding aside, the team learned and grew so much last year. We have a great mix of veterans who have been there before and young guys who showed so much growth last season and in the playoffs. We have what I believe to be the best coaching staff in the NHL, and Jimmy Howard will continue to stop that puck. More than anything, the Red Wings will be on a mission to win the Cup for Alfie. You can bet that Hank will be lifting his game, same with Kronners, Pavs and etc just to reach the objective. 

I wish October was here... LETS GO RED WINGS! ::)

#54 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

Zetts- dats- Abby
Mule- Weiss- alfy
Nyq-helm- Tatar
Miller- Andy- eaves

This is pretty much what I envision too, other than maybe flipping Helm and Andersson.  Helm, Miller, and Eaves always played well together, and Andersson, Nyquist, and Tatar just won a Calder Cup together.  Tootoo and Emmerton would have to be moved out depending on what could be done with Bertuzzi and Samuelsson, but 2 of those 4 would be the 13th and 14th forwards.

#55 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

How is Abby on the first Line come on Should be on the fourth

I cringe every time I see posters put him on the first line.

I know we have a current thread about him specifically, but it just baffles me.  

It's one thing to buy him, it's another thing entirely to promote him to the top line.  It's like putting a crown on a pig.  

He won me over BIG TIME in the playoffs.

With his 3 points in 12 games?  

Cleary did way better than that.  How come he didn't win anyone over?

In fact, Abby has scored just 8 points in 49 playoff games.  Yet people here make fun of Colton Orr or George Parros for their lack of playoff production in the past.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 July 2013 - 04:39 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

So even if they waive Sammy and bury him in Toledo the cap hit is still there?

Edited to remove a comment that was in poor taste. Apologies to those it may have offended.

His salary would still count against the cap but i aak you....how funny would it be to make sammy play in Toledo? I'd be laughing my ass off

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#57 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

n
I cringe every time I see posters put him on the first line.

I know we have a current thread about him specifically, but it just baffles me.  

It's one thing to buy him, it's another thing entirely to promote him to the top line.  It's like putting a crown on a pig.  

With his 3 points in 12 games?  

Cleary did way better than that.  How come he didn't win anyone over?

In fact, Abby has scored just 8 points in 49 playoff games.  Yet people here make fun of Colton Orr or George Parros for their lack of playoff production in the past.

Cleary played with Abby.

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Cleary played with Abby.

And put up way more playoff points.  

I get it.  Abby is younger and has more upside.  But he doesn't deserve to play on the top lines over guys who have more "current" offensive upside than him, like Tatar or Nyquist.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#59 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

His salary would still count against the cap but i aak you....how funny would it be to make sammy play in Toledo? I'd be laughing my ass off

If he's milking an injury to avoid the buyout and screw the team it would serve him right. If he's legitimately injured still (which I honestly doubt since he was ready to go for the Hawks series) then he can be LTIR, which gives the space.

Back to the original topic, I really like the Weiss signing and agree that Alfredsson could be this year's Drake to inspire the boys to elevate their play. I think they have a legit shot at the Eastern finals if they stay healthy.

Edited by TheXym, 07 July 2013 - 04:59 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#60 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

It's hard to predict anything in the playoffs, but I expect them to compete for the #1 spot in their division

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy