• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

I just don't see why some folks still are not buying Abby. Great defensively and has some definite grit to his game. Power forward. Hopefully he can shut up the critics this year.

Maybe Babs can re-unite the Kid, Goat, and a Jackass line (Abs-Dats-Cleary).

I just don't see why some folks still are not buying Abby. Great defensively and has some definite grit to his game. Power forward. Hopefully he can shut up the critics this year.

He won me over BIG TIME in the playoffs.

My expectation is that they compete on a nightly basis, avoid the injury plague that has seemed to decimate our team every year since we went to the Cup Finals in 09, and ultimately reach the Cup finals and win the Cup. My expectation will also be to once again here that the Penguins "are the favorites to win the Stanley Cup" for the 5th year in a row by the hockey experts.

All kidding aside, the team learned and grew so much last year. We have a great mix of veterans who have been there before and young guys who showed so much growth last season and in the playoffs. We have what I believe to be the best coaching staff in the NHL, and Jimmy Howard will continue to stop that puck. More than anything, the Red Wings will be on a mission to win the Cup for Alfie. You can bet that Hank will be lifting his game, same with Kronners, Pavs and etc just to reach the objective.

I wish October was here... LETS GO RED WINGS! ::)

Zetts- dats- Abby

Mule- Weiss- alfy

Nyq-helm- Tatar

Miller- Andy- eaves

This is pretty much what I envision too, other than maybe flipping Helm and Andersson. Helm, Miller, and Eaves always played well together, and Andersson, Nyquist, and Tatar just won a Calder Cup together. Tootoo and Emmerton would have to be moved out depending on what could be done with Bertuzzi and Samuelsson, but 2 of those 4 would be the 13th and 14th forwards.

How is Abby on the first Line come on Should be on the fourth

I cringe every time I see posters put him on the first line.

I know we have a current thread about him specifically, but it just baffles me.

It's one thing to buy him, it's another thing entirely to promote him to the top line. It's like putting a crown on a pig.

He won me over BIG TIME in the playoffs.

With his 3 points in 12 games?

Cleary did way better than that. How come he didn't win anyone over?

In fact, Abby has scored just 8 points in 49 playoff games. Yet people here make fun of Colton Orr or George Parros for their lack of playoff production in the past.

Edited by GMRwings1983

So even if they waive Sammy and bury him in Toledo the cap hit is still there?

Edited to remove a comment that was in poor taste. Apologies to those it may have offended.

His salary would still count against the cap but i aak you....how funny would it be to make sammy play in Toledo? I'd be laughing my ass off

Guest The Axe

n

I cringe every time I see posters put him on the first line.

I know we have a current thread about him specifically, but it just baffles me.

It's one thing to buy him, it's another thing entirely to promote him to the top line. It's like putting a crown on a pig.

With his 3 points in 12 games?

Cleary did way better than that. How come he didn't win anyone over?

In fact, Abby has scored just 8 points in 49 playoff games. Yet people here make fun of Colton Orr or George Parros for their lack of playoff production in the past.

Cleary played with Abby.

Cleary played with Abby.

And put up way more playoff points.

I get it. Abby is younger and has more upside. But he doesn't deserve to play on the top lines over guys who have more "current" offensive upside than him, like Tatar or Nyquist.

His salary would still count against the cap but i aak you....how funny would it be to make sammy play in Toledo? I'd be laughing my ass off

If he's milking an injury to avoid the buyout and screw the team it would serve him right. If he's legitimately injured still (which I honestly doubt since he was ready to go for the Hawks series) then he can be LTIR, which gives the space.

Back to the original topic, I really like the Weiss signing and agree that Alfredsson could be this year's Drake to inspire the boys to elevate their play. I think they have a legit shot at the Eastern finals if they stay healthy.

Edited by TheXym

Guest DeGraa55

Its hard to predict. If everyone stayed healthy I think we could be in the top four in east. But I just don't see it happening.

We got several keys guys that'll miss time I thinks.

Guest Crymson

Its hard to predict. If everyone stayed healthy I think we could be in the top four in east. But I just don't see it happening.

We got several keys guys that'll miss time I thinks.

You've already voiced your certainty that the Wings will miss the playoffs.

Guest DeGraa55

You've already voiced your certainty that the Wings will miss the playoffs.

Because I don't think theyll be able to hold up in the east. Not with the current roster and if they sign clearly it gets worse.

But if by some chance they stay healthy. They can make the playoffs but they won't be cup contenders either way.

Guest Crymson

Because I don't think theyll be able to hold up in the east. Not with the current roster and if they sign clearly it gets worse.

But if by some chance they stay healthy. They can make the playoffs but they won't be cup contenders either way.

Are you willing to stake anything on this?

To those people saying Cup or bust, why do you feel that way? I was saying stuff like that for about 15 years, but not anymore. Roster isn't that good and IMO it's an unrealistic expectation with this group.

We replaced Filppula with Weiss and added Alfredsson. Is that really all last year's team was missing?

That's the great things about our team now...progression of young players.

Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, Kindl, Ericsson, Smith and DD could all be that much better just because they are aging into their primes. I also think that they will get better way more than any regression experianced by our older players (once again, I'm so glad for the ageless Datsyuk).

I believe Nyquist and DD will be legitimate top 6/top 3 guys. Alfredsson is adding a #6 forward. Weiss should be the point producing #2 center we always wished Fil would be. Couple that with the possibility of Smith being who he could be and the rest of the young guys getting better and this could be a very dynamic team.

Guest DeGraa55

Are you willing to stake anything on this?

So every time someone states their opinion different ftom yours they need to bet on it? Little insecure? Lol

The Eastern Conference angle is way overblown. Chicago just won it all with skill and very little physical presence. Besides, Boston and Toronto are really the only imposing threats of "big teams" in the conference. The Flyers too I guess, but they aren't any good.

The West had the Blues, Kings, Ducks and to an extent the Sharks for awhile. They were all built on size, so it's not like the Red Wings have never been exposed to playing bigger opponents.

I'm a believer the Red Wings could certainly use some more size up front (especially on the wing), but moving to the East doesn't suddenly mean they will get run off the ice.

Edited by GoWings1905

I would love to know which 8 teams precisely in the east are better than us that will stop us from gaining playoff entrance? Pittsburgh NYR, maybe Boston and Montreal are 4 teams I can see possibly giving us a run for our money, who else? Tampa? Florida? Toronto? Washington? Buffalo? Philly? NJD? please, These are all bottom feeders that merely swap turns making the playoffs because all they have to do is beat the other bottom feeders. The east by far is easier than the west, and we have a better team then last year, top 4 spot in the east, mark it now

Guest DeGraa55

I would love to know which 8 teams precisely in the east are better than us that will stop us from gaining playoff entrance? Pittsburgh NYR, maybe Boston and Montreal are 4 teams I can see possibly giving us a run for our money, who else? Tampa? Florida? Toronto? Washington? Buffalo? Philly? NJD? please, These are all bottom feeders that merely swap turns making the playoffs because all they have to do is beat the other bottom feeders. The east by far is easier than the west, and we have a better team then last year, top 4 spot in the east, mark it now

On paper I could agree. But not on ice.

Pitts nyr Boston mtl Washington. I believe are the tops 5 then were in the next group that can barely make it or barely miss. Which includes us, Ottawa, Columbus, tor, islanders philly. Then two teams I'm not sure of are Tampa and njd.

This is if if we have some key injuries which I fully expect. Also monster being injury prone is key....Howard can't start 82 games and mrazek isn't ready.

Edited by DeGraa55

Guest DeGraa55

The Eastern Conference angle is way overblown. Chicago just won it all with skill and very little physical presence. Besides, Boston and Toronto are really the only imposing threats of "big teams" in the conference. The Flyers too I guess, but they aren't any good.

The West had the Blues, Kings, Ducks and to an extent the Sharks for awhile. They were all built on size, so it's not like the Red Wings have never been exposed to playing bigger opponents.

I'm a believer the Red Wings could certainly use some more size up front (especially on the wing), but moving to the East doesn't suddenly mean they will get run off the ice.

Its a proven fact that they hits more(myself and others have posted stats) but OK think otherwise I guess.

Its a proven fact that they hits more(myself and others have posted stats) but OK think otherwise I guess.

I've seen the stats posted here. The difference is minimal if I remember correctly. Hits is a horrible statistic anyways and very inaccurately tracked in most arenas. I will use the eyeball test and stand by my assertion the West has just as many "physical" teams as the East.

Guest The Axe

So every time someone states their opinion different ftom yours they need to bet on it? Little insecure? Lol

If you say something that has terrible odds of actually happening, i believe you should be challenged.

On paper I could agree. But not on ice.

Pitts nyr Boston mtl Washington. I believe are the tops 5 then were in the next group that can barely make it or barely miss. Which includes us, Ottawa, Columbus, tor, islanders philly. Then two teams I'm not sure of are Tampa and njd.

This is if if we have some key injuries which I fully expect. Also monster being injury prone is key....Howard can't start 82 games and mrazek isn't ready.

I agree with Mrazek not being ready, but you have no proof that monster will be injured all year, or at all for that matter, most injuries this year was for a lack of half a season with no time for training camps, and a week long pre-season. Washington is garbage when Ovie isn't playing full tilt, which aside from 24 games last season he hasn't played that way in several years, so they are like a 6th seed maybe, they only had home ice cause they had the worst division in hockey. I do not truly believe NYR will be better with Vigneault than they were with Torts. Montreal is hit or miss really, Boston has fallen apart this off season, so lets see how they bounce back after losing key pieces of their team, and Pittsburgh is just a joke, they are good regular season, but come playoffs they are the laughing stock of the nhl. I honestly don't think there are 3 teams truly better than us, assuming half our team doesn't get injured (we can't possibly have that much bad luck 4 straight years) then I firmly believe we will start playoffs with home ice, and make a deep playoff run. With Alfie, and weiss joining Datsyuk, Z, Franzen, Nyquist and Tatar, and Helmer, we are in for a treat this year, cause we aren't trying to make playoffs this year, we are trying to win it all.