Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#61 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

Top 3 reg season finish. Conference finals appearance. Don't get beat by Ottawa in the playoffs.

#62 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:28 AM

Its hard to predict. If everyone stayed healthy I think we could be in the top four in east. But I just don't see it happening.

We got several keys guys that'll miss time I thinks.

#63 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

Its hard to predict. If everyone stayed healthy I think we could be in the top four in east. But I just don't see it happening.

We got several keys guys that'll miss time I thinks.

You've already voiced your certainty that the Wings will miss the playoffs.

#64 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

You've already voiced your certainty that the Wings will miss the playoffs.

Because I don't think theyll be able to hold up in the east. Not with the current roster and if they sign clearly it gets worse.

But if by some chance they stay healthy. They can make the playoffs but they won't be cup contenders either way.

#65 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

Because I don't think theyll be able to hold up in the east. Not with the current roster and if they sign clearly it gets worse.

But if by some chance they stay healthy. They can make the playoffs but they won't be cup contenders either way.

Are you willing to stake anything on this?

#66 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

To those people saying Cup or bust, why do you feel that way?  I was saying stuff like that for about 15 years, but not anymore.  Roster isn't that good and IMO it's an unrealistic expectation with this group.  

We replaced Filppula with Weiss and added Alfredsson.  Is that really all last year's team was missing?  

That's the great things about our team now...progression of young players.

Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, Kindl, Ericsson, Smith and DD could all be that much better just because they are aging into their primes. I also think that they will get better way more than any regression experianced by our older players (once again, I'm so glad for the ageless Datsyuk).

I believe Nyquist and DD will be legitimate top 6/top 3 guys. Alfredsson is adding a #6 forward. Weiss should be the point producing #2 center we always wished Fil would be. Couple that with the possibility of Smith being who he could be and the rest of the young guys getting better and this could be a very dynamic team.

#67 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Are you willing to stake anything on this?

So every time someone states their opinion different ftom yours they need to bet on it? Little insecure? Lol

#68 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

The Eastern Conference angle is way overblown. Chicago just won it all with skill and very little physical presence. Besides, Boston and Toronto are really the only imposing threats of "big teams" in the conference. The Flyers too I guess, but they aren't any good.

The West had the Blues, Kings, Ducks and to an extent the Sharks for awhile. They were all built on size, so it's not like the Red Wings have never been exposed to playing bigger opponents.

I'm a believer the Red Wings could certainly use some more size up front (especially on the wing), but moving to the East doesn't suddenly mean they will get run off the ice.

Edited by GoWings1905, 08 July 2013 - 03:27 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#69 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I would love to know which 8 teams precisely in the east are better than us that will stop us from gaining playoff entrance? Pittsburgh NYR, maybe Boston and Montreal are 4 teams I can see possibly giving us a run for our money, who else? Tampa? Florida? Toronto? Washington? Buffalo? Philly? NJD? please, These are all bottom feeders that merely swap turns making the playoffs because all they have to do is beat the other bottom feeders. The east by far is easier than the west, and we have a better team then last year, top 4 spot in the east, mark it now

#70 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

I would love to know which 8 teams precisely in the east are better than us that will stop us from gaining playoff entrance? Pittsburgh NYR, maybe Boston and Montreal are 4 teams I can see possibly giving us a run for our money, who else? Tampa? Florida? Toronto? Washington? Buffalo? Philly? NJD? please, These are all bottom feeders that merely swap turns making the playoffs because all they have to do is beat the other bottom feeders. The east by far is easier than the west, and we have a better team then last year, top 4 spot in the east, mark it now

On paper I could agree. But not on ice.

Pitts nyr Boston mtl Washington. I believe are the tops 5 then were in the next group that can barely make it or barely miss. Which includes us, Ottawa, Columbus, tor, islanders philly. Then two teams I'm not sure of are Tampa and njd.

This is if if we have some key injuries which I fully expect. Also monster being injury prone is key....Howard can't start 82 games and mrazek isn't ready.

Edited by DeGraa55, 08 July 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#71 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

The Eastern Conference angle is way overblown. Chicago just won it all with skill and very little physical presence. Besides, Boston and Toronto are really the only imposing threats of "big teams" in the conference. The Flyers too I guess, but they aren't any good.
The West had the Blues, Kings, Ducks and to an extent the Sharks for awhile. They were all built on size, so it's not like the Red Wings have never been exposed to playing bigger opponents.
I'm a believer the Red Wings could certainly use some more size up front (especially on the wing), but moving to the East doesn't suddenly mean they will get run off the ice.

Its a proven fact that they hits more(myself and others have posted stats) but OK think otherwise I guess.

#72 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Its a proven fact that they hits more(myself and others have posted stats) but OK think otherwise I guess.

I've seen the stats posted here. The difference is minimal if I remember correctly. Hits is a horrible statistic anyways and very inaccurately tracked in most arenas. I will use the eyeball test and stand by my assertion the West has just as many "physical" teams as the East.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#73 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Second round exit.

#74 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

So every time someone states their opinion different ftom yours they need to bet on it? Little insecure? Lol

If you say something that has terrible odds of actually happening, i believe you should be challenged.

#75 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

On paper I could agree. But not on ice.

Pitts nyr Boston mtl Washington. I believe are the tops 5 then were in the next group that can barely make it or barely miss. Which includes us, Ottawa, Columbus, tor, islanders philly. Then two teams I'm not sure of are Tampa and njd.

This is if if we have some key injuries which I fully expect. Also monster being injury prone is key....Howard can't start 82 games and mrazek isn't ready.

I agree with Mrazek not being ready, but you have no proof that monster will be injured all year, or at all for that matter, most injuries this year was for a lack of half a season with no time for training camps, and a week long pre-season. Washington is garbage when Ovie isn't playing full tilt, which aside from 24 games last season he hasn't played that way in several years, so they are like a 6th seed maybe, they only had home ice cause they had the worst division in hockey. I do not truly believe NYR will be better with Vigneault than they were with Torts. Montreal is hit or miss really, Boston has fallen apart this off season, so lets see how they bounce back after losing key pieces of their team, and Pittsburgh is just a joke, they are good regular season, but come playoffs they are the laughing stock of the nhl. I honestly don't think there are 3 teams truly better than us, assuming half our team doesn't get injured (we can't possibly have that much bad luck 4 straight years) then I firmly believe we will start playoffs with home ice, and make a deep playoff run. With Alfie, and weiss joining Datsyuk, Z, Franzen, Nyquist and Tatar, and Helmer, we are in for a treat this year, cause we aren't trying to make playoffs this year, we are trying to win it all.

#76 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

I agree with Mrazek not being ready, but you have no proof that monster will be injured all year, or at all for that matter, most injuries this year was for a lack of half a season with no time for training camps, and a week long pre-season. Washington is garbage when Ovie isn't playing full tilt, which aside from 24 games last season he hasn't played that way in several years, so they are like a 6th seed maybe, they only had home ice cause they had the worst division in hockey. I do not truly believe NYR will be better with Vigneault than they were with Torts. Montreal is hit or miss really, Boston has fallen apart this off season, so lets see how they bounce back after losing key pieces of their team, and Pittsburgh is just a joke, they are good regular season, but come playoffs they are the laughing stock of the nhl. I honestly don't think there are 3 teams truly better than us, assuming half our team doesn't get injured (we can't possibly have that much bad luck 4 straight years) then I firmly believe we will start playoffs with home ice, and make a deep playoff run. With Alfie, and weiss joining Datsyuk, Z, Franzen, Nyquist and Tatar, and Helmer, we are in for a treat this year, cause we aren't trying to make playoffs this year, we are trying to win it all.

Based on the moves we made I say we are only trying to make the playoffs. Alfie or not this isn't a cup team.

And you're right with the lack of preseason and trading camp etc etc. That's why I said if we remain healthy we will make the playoffs. I just don't think everyone will stay healthy.

But with that said. Someone like kronwall who is focusing more on his defense and is having less kronwalls that should lead to him being healthier. Yes watching someone get kronwalled is cool but kronwall getting hurt isn't. Monster was hurt pretty much all year. That HAS to change for us to be successful.

I'm not saying we don't have a team capable of making the playoffs. I'm saying if injuries hit we don't gavecenough too end talent to cover for guys like kronwall z DAT and most importantly Howard.

#77 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

stanley cup champs.

#78 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

the question:

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

the answer:

(substitute "Stanley Cup" for "world") ;)

tumblr_m6qtmo8hOi1qhzmjho1_400.jpg

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#79 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Probably a 2nd round exit.

I honestly can't see our team staying healthy the whole season and into the playoffs.

The injury bug trend continues with us.

I hope I'm wrong.

#80 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

In terms of rating the other teams (currently), I think it will look something like this

1. Pittsburgh

2. Boston

3. New York Rangers

4. Devils - their goaltending is highly improved

5. Washington

6. Ottawa

after that it is wide open between, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, New York

behind this pack: Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Winnipeg, Florida

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..