Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

So.. what are our expectations for this roster?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#81 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Because I don't think theyll be able to hold up in the east. Not with the current roster and if they sign clearly it gets worse.

But if by some chance they stay healthy. They can make the playoffs but they won't be cup contenders either way.

Swap East for West and you have the 2012-2013 season prediction... We're a lot better this year

#82 NAVYWING

NAVYWING

Classy Guy!!!!

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Swap East for West and you have the 2012-2013 season prediction... We're a lot better this year

You smoke alot of weed, huh?  Sorry for the jab, but I think you are going to see things differently when this season starts.  The slated conference/division swap will put Detroit in a division that is rougher than what they've experienced in the past.  Stats show that hitting and fighting are more prevelant in the East, specifically with Toronto and Boston.  Detroit was not built "tough" and have had injury woes for years due to the style (not size) of player Detroit typically signs.  Weiss and Alfie don't add "toughness" but they have been somewhat durable in the east.  Again, we will see.

"We were one of the teams that had the least amount of fights last year. You don't want your best players fighting. But Brendan was certainly a physical presence. Playing on Pavel Datsyuk's line, he obviously created some space for Pavel. That's something we're going to have to monitor," said Ken Holland.

Ugh.

#83 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

What would it to get Edler? I think adding him without giving up too much makes us a serious contender

#84 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

What would it to get Edler? I think adding him without giving up too much makes us a serious contender

Edler is vastly overrated. While he is fairly good at offense, he is only average on defense and is prone to very damaging brainfarts. He was the goat for Canucks fans in their team's 2012 loss against the Kings.

He's not a #1 defenseman. And yes, he'd cost a lot.

#85 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

This is LGW, so anything short of going 82-0-0 and then a 16-0 run to the cup, coupled with a league record in fighting majors and trading Cleary for the 1st overall pick in 2014 will be an unmitigated disaster which can only be resolved by the instant dismissal of Holland and Babcock

Lol

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#86 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

You've already voiced your certainty that the Wings will miss the playoffs.Because I don't think theyll be able to hold up in the east. Not with the current roster and if they sign clearly it gets worse.But if by some chance they stay healthy. They can make the playoffs but they won't be cup contenders either way.

There are just as many big teams in the West and the Wings were fine there. The biggest difference is how much they fight in the East compared to the West.

I don't think the Canucks are moving him now unless they get a huge offer. Before they traded Schneider I was thinking it would take Smith or Kindl+Tatar or Nyquist + a top prospect.
I expect them to finish between 3 and 6 and make a good run in the playoffs.Tatar and Nyquist both around 35 points. Weiss around 50. Datstuk slightly more than a ppg. Alfredsson around 20 G 40 A. Eaves is the most likely gone followed by whoever they can most easily move of Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Emmerton.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#87 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Edler is vastly overrated. While he is fairly good at offense, he is only average on defense and is prone to very damaging brainfarts. He was the goat for Canucks fans in their team's 2012 loss against the Kings.

He's not a #1 defenseman. And yes, he'd cost a lot.

I live in Vancouver so I know all about it. It would be like adding another Kronwall to this team. It would clearly make us better and I think he only has a 4M cap hit. Asking price is probably too high though

#88 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Here are my bold ;) predictions;

Alfredsson scores 30 goals playing with Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

Dekeyser takes a step back - he starts to actually look like a rookie.

Smith steps up and becomes an actual 2-3 d-man, and he scores 40 points.

Kindl scores 10 power play goals.

and,

The Red Wings win the Stanley Cup.  There's something about this team when they acquire a vet who hasn't won a cup yet (I mean a real vet, not Hossa). They stepped up in 2008 when they wanted to get Drake a Cup, I think that the desire to get Alfie a Cup along with the play of these younger guys could be the recipe for success! 

Either way, should be an exciting season. 

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#89 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Same expectations as every year, playoffs and at least the second round.

That would be good, a great year would be ECF.

Anything after ECF is gravy and I cannot complain!

I have always maintained that conference finals in any sport is a fantastic year for the teams I root for!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#90 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

In terms of rating the other teams (currently), I think it will look something like this

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. New York Rangers
4. Devils - their goaltending is highly improved
5. Washington
6. Ottawa

after that it is wide open between, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, New York
behind this pack: Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Winnipeg, Florida

do u even watch hockey? With the sightings Detroit made were looking like a top 3 or 4 team. And New Jersey? They are gunna be at the bottom. They look horrible, they didn't improve there goaltending. Marty is still the guy
Posted Image

#91 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

In terms of rating the other teams (currently), I think it will look something like this

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. New York Rangers
5. Washington
6. Ottawa

after that it is wide open between, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, New York

do u even watch hockey? With the sightings Detroit made were looking like a top 3 or 4 team. And New Jersey? They are gunna be at the bottom. They look horrible, they didn't improve there goaltending. Marty is still the guy

There is a guy named Cory Schneider. I've created this list before the Kovalgate saga, so next time read the posting-date, thanks.

ps: it is you not U

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#92 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

There is a guy named Cory Schneider. I've created this list before the Kovalgate saga, so next time read the posting-date, thanks. ps: it is you not U

There are only two teams in that list better than us: Pittsburgh and Boston.

I mean, Alfredsson left Ottawa after like 17 years to come here because he thought we had a better chance at the cup.  Yet you still have them rated ahead of us.  Confusing.

#93 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

As mentioned, the price tag would be hefty. With the team buying out Ballard, there's no reason to move Edler. The jury is still out on guys like Tanev and Corrado, so I imagine they'll want to bring them along a bit slower. I actually think Edler is a very good player; players PP, PK, hits and blocks shots. His positioning is questionable at times, but I think he's right on that line bordering a #1 guy. Having a bad year doesn't break a guy, IMO... I think he's a real solid defender.

#94 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Anyone want to run some NHL '13 sims? I'm still on the old NHL '10.

#95 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

1. Pittsburgh

2. Boston

3. New York Rangers

5. Washington

6. Ottawa

:hysterical: Sorry dude, but that's hilarious.

Remember Boston sweeping the Penguins?  The Pens lost Iginla to the B's now, who also got Eriksson for their top 6.  The Wings took the Hawks to OT game 7 and then acquired Alfredsson and Weiss.  Ottawa lost Alfie to us.  Devils lost Clarkson and now Kovy.  Washington is just a joke, I hope you put them there as a joke.  They're such a pile of crap, even Ribeiro left.  Here's a better list for you:

1. Bruins  2. Wings  3. Rangers  4. Pens  5. Toronto

From there, it's a crap shoot.  There's your top 5 next year.  You can save this post if you want for an East prediction and I'll eat crow if it's closer to yours, but I think you're out to lunch on your power rankings.  Not trying to disrespect you either, just throwing that in there.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#96 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

If the Wings are reasonably healthy this season, and if most players are able to have average to slightly above average seasons, than I feel this team will be top 4 in the east. If there are injury problems, if there is a lot of inconsistency, or if other teams over-perform by a lot I can see them falling to 6-9th. If all the worst should happen, long term injuries to stars, inconsistency by remaining players and other teams over perform, the Wings won't make the playoffs. I would say given all the available facts, its unlikely the Wings are outside of the 3-7th area of the standings. My optimistic prediction is 4th.

As for the playoffs, well, that's just not even worth trying to speculate on. The Wings could be playing a hot goalie and lose in the 1st round. Or they could get hot, and win the Cup. Who knows? But that's the fun.

Edited by Shaman464, 12 July 2013 - 01:35 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#97 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

1. Pittsburgh
2. Boston
3. New York Rangers
5. Washington
6. Ottawa

I know it's just your opinion but I absolutely do not think any of those teams are better than the Wings (especially Washington) except maybe Boston, but even then who knows with roster turnover.

1-3 is open for anyone of Boston, Detroit and Pitt but most likely in this order imo.

#98 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

There is a guy named Cory Schneider. I've created this list before the Kovalgate saga, so next time read the posting-date, thanks. ps: it is you not U

Posted Image

#99 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

I could see anything from a Stanley Cup to not making the playoffs.  So many variables, it's hard to predict.  If we get Johan Franzen circa 2008, 100 pts from Pav and Z, Alfie plays like he's 31, 20+ goals from Weiss and Abby, Helm is healthy and on a line with Tatar and Nyquist and they produce like the did in GR, DeKeyser is as good over 82 games as he was in his first dozen, Kronwall starts playing more like Nick Sr., Kindl, Quincey, and Smith continue to progress, Jimmy wants to prove he's worth the money and not complacent, the overabundance of forwards is resolved quickly, few serious injuries to important pieces........the list is endless.  The chance of all that happening are slim, so really, anything could happen and it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

#100 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Schneider doesn't mean anything. He's still the number two. Kovulchuk or not new jersey looks horrible. Your team ranking were not verry good. The wings should end up top two or three in the east. We look pretty deep. O an srry bout my gramer. My apologies
Posted Image