• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

i don't see abby playing on the PP though.. at least not yet. 

pav, z, alfie, mule, bert, weiss, nyq, tatar are all guys i see on the PP before abby.

hell, even sammy would be on there before abby, not that i'd want him to be at all.. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Probably never

Ok, Grumpy Smurf!

#23 thebadguy007

thebadguy007

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

I just don't see it

#24 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

I just don't see it

Fair enough.

Look at his career stats on Wikipedia.

Then remember he's just 26.

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

I disagree with you.

Abby has a strong "ramp up" history, meaning he's worked his way up the ladder through experience and increased production, everywhere he has played. Juniors, College, AHL. If the past predicates the future, we should see Abby start to put up dlgood numbers soon. Im not saying he's going to be an all star. Im saying he will put up 50-60 pts if he plays with Z and Dats on the top line and PP.

In the 2008 and 2009 seasons, with Datsyuk and Zetterberg in their primes and having their best career offensive seasons, Holmstrom never had 50 pts.  Contrary to what some believe, neither Datsyuk nor Zetterberg are the same players they were then.  Those guys will be good this year, but they aren't going to squeeze blood from a stone.  I'd love it if you're right, but Abby has not shown the ability to produce even as consistently as Miller at the NHL level, and D and Z aren't at an age where they can still make anyone around them look that good.  Hell Franzen has consistently played on Datsyuk's wing for a couple years now and only gets 50-60 pts.  And whether you like him or not, Franzen is about 2,000,000 times the offensive player that Abby is. 

Playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg is no longer a way to get more out of less.  At their age we should be acquiring complimentary pieces to help keep their numbers up, not the other way around.  I would have loved a shooting winger for Datsyuk, and to see Zetterberg on Weiss' wing.  In my opinion that would be a better dynamic than once again asking those two to play their game and half of everybody else's as well. 

Edited by kipwinger, 07 July 2013 - 01:26 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Abdelkader's primary mission is not to score but to make the Red Wings harder to play against and to create more space for his team mates, people that want to trade him are nuts.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#27 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

i don't see abby playing on the PP though.. at least not yet. 

pav, z, alfie, mule, bert, weiss, nyq, tatar are all guys i see on the PP before abby.

hell, even sammy would be on there before abby, not that i'd want him to be at all.. 

I think the PP is where Abby's play is best. Over the course of lat season, his play in front of the net improved greatly.

#28 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

In the 2008 and 2009 seasons, with Datsyuk and Zetterberg in their primes and having their best career offensive seasons, Holmstrom never had 50 pts.  Contrary to what some believe, neither Datsyuk nor Zetterberg are the same players they were then.  Those guys will be good this year, but they aren't going to squeeze blood from a stone.  I'd love it if you're right, but Abby has not shown the ability to produce even as consistently as Miller at the NHL level, and D and Z aren't at an age where they can still make anyone around them look that good.  Hell Franzen has consistently played on Datsyuk's wing for a couple years now and only gets 50-60 pts.  And whether you like him or not, Franzen is about 2,000,000 times the offensive player that Abby is. 

Playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg is no longer a way to get more out of less.  At their age we should be acquiring complimentary pieces to help keep their numbers up, not the other way around.  I would have loved a shooting winger for Datsyuk, and to see Zetterberg on Weiss' wing.  In my opinion that would be a better dynamic than once again asking those two to play their game and half of everybody else's as well. 

Newsflash: Holmstrom SUCKED. You are making him out to be the constant with Z and Dats the variables. Thats ridiculous.

"Since Holmstrom couldn't score 50 pts, neither can any other NHLer."

Holmstrom was a gamer, and I love the guy for that. But he was TERRIBLE at playing hockey his last 3-4 years, while just being serviceable during his prime.

#29 thebadguy007

thebadguy007

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Way too many Abby fans here Can't see the truth It may shock you

#30 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

I think the PP is where Abby's play is best. Over the course of lat season, his play in front of the net improved greatly.

Yep.

Holland and Babcock want some one in Holmer's office.  Abby and Cleary are the best we have, Bert is good, Franzen is good as long as no one touches him too much; he gets squimish.

#31 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

:eh:

55 points?  

Guy scored 3 points in 12 playoff games, playing on the top lines.  He's not an offensive player and has hammer hands.  

Babcock needs to put this guy on the lower lines where he belongs.    

Lower lines, not on the team....

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#32 MN_REDWINGS_FAN

MN_REDWINGS_FAN

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

He sucks he Shouldn't even play in the NHL He's Been Playing here four years and only has 19 goals If you don't believe me look it up

Did he piss in your cereal bowl today, or what?

#33 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Newsflash: Holmstrom SUCKED. You are making him out to be the constant with Z and Dats the variables. Thats ridiculous.

"Since Holmstrom couldn't score 50 pts, neither can any other NHLer."

Holmstrom was a gamer, and I love the guy for that. But he was TERRIBLE at playing hockey his last 3-4 years, while just being serviceable during his prime.

All I'm saying is that Holmstrom outperformed Abby offensively at every single stage of his career.  He was a more prolific scorer as a rookie, a more prolific scorer in his second year, third, fourth, etc. etc. etc.  He played with D and Z in their primes and didn't score 50.  Abby is playing with them on the downswing of their careers, and Abby himself is has not shown that's he's offensively capable.  As such, he's not likely to score 50 just because he's playing regularly with them.

Not that nobody could, certainly Corey Perry could, or any other player who goes to the net and has consistent offensive capabilities.  I'm just saying Abby won't, because he doesn't have offense, and they're too old to drag him along offensively. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#34 thebadguy007

thebadguy007

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Keep drinking the Abby juice

#35 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

23 goals 15 assists playing with Weiss and Franzen.... He just shows so much promise that I cannot give up on him yet.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

No matter his point production I prefer him playing with our euro twins. He's one of the more heavy hitters on our team and like our magician has said, the man pulls pianos. If he hits 50 points it's safe to call him a pianist

#37 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

All I'm saying is that Holmstrom outperformed Abby offensively at every single stage of his career.  He was a more prolific scorer as a rookie, a more prolific scorer in his second year, third, fourth, etc. etc. etc.  He played with D and Z in their primes and didn't score 50.  Abby is playing with them on the downswing of their careers, and Abby himself is has not shown that's he's offensively capable.  As such, he's not likely to score 50 just because he's playing regularly with them.

Not that nobody could, certainly Corey Perry could, or any other player who goes to the net and has consistent offensive capabilities.  I'm just saying Abby won't, because he doesn't have offense, and they're too old to drag him along offensively. 

Ok. I hear you.

But here's the thing:

Abby led our team in even strength goals last year.

He played half the year with Z and Dats after Benedict Brunner fizzled.

He's only 26.

Im gonna give him a full season of 20 mins a night with 2 good linemates before I doubt him.

#38 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Ok. I hear you.

But here's the thing:

Abby led our team in even strength goals last year.

He played half the year with Z and Dats after Benedict Brunner fizzled.

He's only 26.

Im gonna give him a full season of 20 mins a night with 2 good linemates before I doubt him.

He lead a team that was at the bottom 1/3rd of the league in goals. Sorry, but if the Wings were prolific scores last season, I could see it, but they were anemic on offense, and this was fluke. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#39 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

This year or next.

This year AND next?  Combined?  Yeah, probably.

#40 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

He lead a team that was at the bottom 1/3rd of the league in goals. Sorry, but if the Wings were prolific scores last season, I could see it, but they were anemic on offense, and this was fluke. 

Facts are Facts. Discrediting them as flukes is a weak argument.