• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Abdelkader Hypothetical

Rate this topic

I would argue Abby has no right to play in the top 6 at all. He can't shoot, can't pass, can't deflect shots... he basically can't do anything right except maybe hit the odd person here and there. He is a 3rd or 4th line player, nothing more.

Also I don't even want to see him on a line with D and Z. It's just a waste to have someone play with great players who cannot finish anything.

Sounds like Holmstrom to me aside from deflecting shots. The reason those lunchpail carrying knuckleheads are on those lines is to retrieve the puck and park at the top of the crease. I'd much rather have the likes of Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, and so on on the top line with Z and Dats, but the nice thing is that Dats and Z are so lethal together that it makes it so you can have a grinder to help them out and have 3 scoring lines on the team.

In this order: Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Bertuzzi, Sammuelson.

I agree that Tatar and nyquist are better players but I also love a third line of Nyq- helm- Tatar it takes pressure of them to feel like they really need to produce, they get great matchups ( playing against bottom 6 players/ bottom pairing d). I can maybe agree with Bert playing there depending on his games after not really playing all year. Jurco isn't close to ready and Sammy haha he's awful. Abby isn't amazing but he fits with pav and z. He does the dirty work just like homer used to do. I can see a z-d-a line being just as or even more dominant then the z-d-h line was.

In this order: Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Bertuzzi, Sammuelson.

Tartar and Nyquist on that line would get overpowered. That would be one of the smallest 1st lines in the NHL. Now junco in two years maybe but he has no track record in the NHL. Bert doesn't bruise anymore and Sammy has always been a floater (in the sense he goes to open ice not the corners).

Sounds like Holmstrom to me aside from deflecting shots. The reason those lunchpail carrying knuckleheads are on those lines is to retrieve the puck and park at the top of the crease. I'd much rather have the likes of Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, and so on on the top line with Z and Dats, but the nice thing is that Dats and Z are so lethal together that it makes it so you can have a grinder to help them out and have 3 scoring lines on the team.

This is my thinking 100 percent. Abby isn't good enough to just play top 6 and create and produce and belong. But he's the guy that will do the dirty work, retrieve pucks, and unlike homer can move his feet and get in on the forecheck. Abby is a solid player

Tartar and Nyquist on that line would get overpowered. That would be one of the smallest 1st lines in the NHL. Now junco in two years maybe but he has no track record in the NHL. Bert doesn't bruise anymore and Sammy has always been a floater (in the sense he goes to open ice not the corners).

This whole small line argument seems flawed, especially with Boston being beaten by a smaller more high powered Chicago offense.

I'd rather see Abdelkader in a bottom 6 role banging and crashing. He's got some skill with the puck, but I just don't see him developing into a legitimate top 6 forward. I think he's a more effective grinder.

Ya but then who do you throw with the twins? While keepin the 2nd line dominant and having the best 3rd line in hockey. Again not saying Abby is a world beater he is just a great fit with the twins

Anyone trashing Abdelkader is being ridiculous. Is he going to be a great player? No. I don't care who's line he's on. Is he a solid player for us and very valuable member of this team? Absolutely! First, he hits more than almost the rest of the team combined. Without Abby, we have very little physical presence. He's also a willing fighter. For being a grit type player, he's a pretty good skater with good speed. He can definitely help on the offensive side of the things, where i think he will continue to improve. However, he's not a sniper and never will be. He's just doesn't have the hands or touch. I think he's being wasted with Datsyuk b/c Pavel needs a guy he can drop it to who can fire it......a guy like Shanahan or Hull. Maybe with Weiss we'll see more of Datsyuk and Zetterberg together. I'd like to see what Abby can do with Helm.

Anyone trashing Abdelkader is being ridiculous. Is he going to be a great player? No. I don't care who's line he's on. Is he a solid player for us and very valuable member of this team? Absolutely! First, he hits more than almost the rest of the team combined. Without Abby, we have very little physical presence. He's also a willing fighter. For being a grit type player, he's a pretty good skater with good speed. He can definitely help on the offensive side of the things, where i think he will continue to improve. However, he's not a sniper and never will be. He's just doesn't have the hands or touch. I think he's being wasted with Datsyuk b/c Pavel needs a guy he can drop it to who can fire it......a guy like Shanahan or Hull. Maybe with Weiss we'll see more of Datsyuk and Zetterberg together. I'd like to see what Abby can do with Helm.

I don't think people are trashing on Abby. I think they hate the idea of him playing top line again in front of way more talented players, at least that's where my issue is. I see it the same as Cleary playing in the top 6.. doesn't make sense.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

While it's always nice to see someone amused, these types of posts are frowned upon and usually end up deleted. Once you are finished laughing, please share why you are so amused. "LOL" adds nothing to the conversation.

sorry, i thought it was obvious.

predicting that abdelkader will triple his career high in goals and points made me LOL

I hope I have to eat crow but I would be extremely surprised to see abdelkader in the 40's and I'll be happy in the 30's.... People will try to compare him to homer cause of his job but people forget just how good holmers hands were, and I'm not just talking deflections.... If anybody recalls his penalty shot....

realistic for Abdelkader on a line with Z and Dats all year, and if he gets PP time is about 15 goals and 20-25 assists max. Expecting anything more from a guy to fetch pucks and hit guys is just crazy. I agree with darkmanx that maybe a better offensive player should be up there like maybe loading up and putting Alfredsson on that line, but with all the forwards we have signed the roster is, and will continue to be a patchwork. Until the lines are built for chemistry, we won't have set top 6-9. Either way, I hope Abdelkader has a really good season, or gets moved down to the 4th line where maybe he belongs.

If Abby spends the season on Zetterberg and Datsyuk's wing his value will be measured in how productive that line is in general.

His role will be to get the puck and create space.

If he does those things well, I think he 'll score 15 goals through osmosis alone.

Edited by rick zombo

I love Abby for his grit, hustle, determination and for never backing down to anyone, but I'm sorry, you could put anyone's grandmother on a line with Datsyuk and they are going to score. We have seen this over and over and over. You put someone who isn't scoring with Dats and they start scoring. Meanwhile Dats is always scoring. Hmmm?

Abby is a great guy, but he simply does not have the hands or skill to handle all the brilliant gift passes and plays Datsyuk is handing him. How many times did he get some awesome pass from Datsyuk right in front of the net only to fail to get the puck up or make the shot? Sure he got a few, but he simply can't be consistent in handling Datsyuk's level of skill, insane moves and off the cuff brilliance. To keep messing with this, to somehow try and figure out how a once in a generation skill guy can be better paired with a hard working grunt is insanity and a waste. Dats needs a line mate that works hard to free HIM up, to give HIM time and space, not the other way around.

Solid grinder, nothing more.

Should stick to centering our 4th line in in my opinion.

I don't see why he ever plays center to be honest. He's a protypical, grinding winger. He is the mold for a 3rd/4th line winger. He doesn't skate or pass like a center. Add that to how we may have the best bottom two centers in the league (Helm and Andersson) and it doesn't make a ton of sense for him to be there.

Abby is a waste in the top 6. It was fun watching him last year but I really think 35- 40 points is his ceiling and that wouldn't justify his playing time. Honestly, this just made me realize how much we need a Homer type (but he has to be better than Cleary). It would be nice to have Brunner, we need a shooter, but he could truly be Bruunstrom/Leino all over again.

Nyquist. Datsyuk. Franzen

Zetterberg. Weiss. Alfredsson

Tatar. Andersson. Bertuzzi

Those are three great lines. I wish people would realize how good Nyquist, Tatar, and Andersson are. I think Andersson will be one of the best third line players in the league very soon. Tatar brings so much to the table. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone higher on Nyquist than me.

no way abby gets 20.

Don't forget that 5 of them will be empty netters...