• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Abdelkader Hypothetical

Rate this topic

I could see him getting 15-20 goals and 25-30 assists with a full season. In a couple years I could see him getting 20 goals and 30 assists.

No way he becomes a more offensively complete player than Flip. And that assist number is crazy, look at his career.

I always felt if toots was put on a scoring line he would thrive.

I couldn't agree more!! Would love to see it and hope he remains a Wing if they will actually play him. If not, I hope he goes somewhere and gets his ice time...he earned his ice time and more here imo.

I always felt if toots was put on a scoring line he would thrive.

Put me on Pavel's line and i'll get 15 goals and i'm fat and out of shape. I would just go to the net with my stick on the ice all ngiht long. lol

No way he becomes a more offensively complete player than Flip. And that assist number is crazy, look at his career.

Aside from the obvious post just to knock Filppula, he scored 10 goals in a little more than half a season last year and the season before that he had 14 assists with a full season. Playing with Z and Pav for a whole year and getting some confidence/experience, I could see him doubling those numbers. I'm not saying it absolutely will happen, but it's more than possible.

Aside from the obvious post just to knock Filppula, he scored 10 goals in a little more than half a season last year and the season before that he had 14 assists with a full season. Playing with Z and Pav for a whole year and getting some confidence/experience, I could see him doubling those numbers. I'm not saying it absolutely will happen, but it's more than possible.

Abby just doesn't have the skill to put up those numbers, and like I said earlier shouldn't be granted the ice time to try either. He is a good 3rd or 4th line player. He will never put up more than 35 points max no matter who he plays with. I would rather not waste the final years of Datsyuk with Abby playing on his wing. I would rather one of our young skilled forwards whether it be Tatar or Nyquist to try to learn from playing with him.

Fact: Cheechoo had 56 goals one season. One season proves nothing, especially when that season shows he was on pace to have 22 points over 82 games and was playing with one of the best players in the world.

For real.

Like 1/3 of Abby's goals were open netters too. He had a comibined good month and a half, maybe. The point of all this is, the best production that Abby is most likely capable of is not worthy of the ice time he would require to accomplish it. Abby is not, and will almost certainly never be, a top 6 winger. We need to groom the players we have that are/or are much more likely of being top 6 guys. Tatar and Nyquist need top 6 minutes to develop their offensive skills at the NHL level.

Abby just doesn't have the skill to put up those numbers, and like I said earlier shouldn't be granted the ice time to try either. He is a good 3rd or 4th line player. He will never put up more than 35 points max no matter who he plays with. I would rather not waste the final years of Datsyuk with Abby playing on his wing. I would rather one of our young skilled forwards whether it be Tatar or Nyquist to try to learn from playing with him.

Lol...I read this right after posting mine. Pretty much sums mine up.

Can't remember if I posted in this thread or not.

I'm seeing a lot of silliness, and asking-for-cosmic-beatdowns//platters of crow. Abby can't do this, Abby can't do that. No way he ever does this, no way he ever does that. Seriously? I mean, I totally get the beef people have with him on the top line. But I also totally get Babs' reasoning. We don't really need him to turn into an elite player or anything. He just needs to create time and space and opportunities for Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and chip in with some timely goals of his own. And if it doesn't work? We have options. Not as many as I'd like (or, I guess I'm referring more to quality than to quantity), but...*glares at Holland*. Anyway, point is, OH NOES! ABBY'S CONTRACT SAYS HE HAS TO PLAY ON THE FIRST LINE! SO IF THIS EXPERIMENT FAILS MISERABLY, WELL, BABS' HANDS ARE TIED! NOOOOOEESSSSS!

Edited by Dabura

Can't remember if I posted in this thread or not.

I'm seeing a lot of silliness, and asking-for-cosmic-beatdowns//platters of crow. Abby can't do this, Abby can't do that. No way he ever does this, no way he ever does that. Seriously? I mean, I totally get the beef people have with him on the top line. But I also totally get Babs' reasoning. We don't really need him to turn into an elite player or anything. He just needs to create time and space and opportunities for Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and chip in with some timely goals of his own. And if it doesn't work? We have options. Not as many as I'd like (or, I guess I'm referring more to quality than to quantity), but...*glares at Holland*. Anyway, point is, OH NOES! ABBY'S CONTRACT SAYS HE HAS TO PLAY ON THE FIRST LINE! SO IF THIS EXPERIMENT FAILS MISERABLY, WELL, BABS' HANDS ARE TIED! NOOOOOEESSSSS!

Going a little overboard there buddy. Most people don't think Abby sucks, though probably some do, but the majority are just saying Abby wont put up serious offensive numbers. I stated previously that he'll probably produce about as much as Bert did two years ago, which is fine if he does what you're saying and opens up space for the other two. Abby's fine where he's at, and even helpful in that role, but an offensive dynamo he is not.

Edited by kipwinger

I really don't get it. People on this board keep talking about wanting to get bigger, and that lines composed of 5'11, 180lbs forwards are going to get destroyed. So we have a 6'2, 220lbs winger in Abdelkader who, while he isn't going to create a ton of offensive, is going to create a lot of space for Zetterberg and Datstyuk (if he's on that line). Is every one really that head over heels for a guy who might be 10 pounds more than Abby, or is it just a "the grass is always greener" mentality?

His point totals from last season leave something to be desired, but there's a big adjustment between the various line mates he had. Before we go ahead and write him off as being ineffective in the role, maybe let's see what he does on Dats' wing from the start of the year.Just like I can't predict that he'll be successful, I don't think anyone else can predict he won't. I do know that the plan seems to be to have him there, and that he showed on several occasions that he is capable of being a net-front presence and puck retrieval type guy.

Abby may get 10-15 goals tops. He is more of a grinder and works for the puck against the boards. Unless somehow he can become he next Dino or Homer and makes a solid living infront of the next, he will never reach 15 or 20 goals on a consistent basis

Edited by Rivalred

I would argue that he only played half the season with Datsyuk. And I'd argue that Z on the other wing instead of Cleary would make a HUGE difference.

Exactly. I won't, as someone else posted, doubt Babs AND Pasha's opinion of him.

By the way Axe, if for some reason Emmerton is not with us this season, does someone else get the "Dog" moniker? Maybe TooDog, Tatdog, huh?

Guest The Axe

Exactly. I won't, as someone else posted, doubt Babs AND Pasha's opinion of him.

By the way Axe, if for some reason Emmerton is not with us this season, does someone else get the "Dog" moniker? Maybe TooDog, Tatdog, huh?

Ha!

Fredo is my new one, so we can make Godfather references when Alfredsson does things.

Emdog has become commonplace.

Although CBC quotes Datsyuk as saying he loves playing with Abdelkater, I'm not sure if Datsyuk would ever say he hated to play with a certain player - more importantly I don't think there are many players that wouldn't play well with the magician.

Abdelkater is a very basic player which can be a very good thing for players like Z and Dats who use their hands and flash to get results. It is so valuable to have a player who goes hard crashing and banging to win the puck for the soft handed ones.

Guest DeGraa55

Although CBC quotes Datsyuk as saying he loves playing with Abdelkater, I'm not sure if Datsyuk would ever say he hated to play with a certain player - more importantly I don't think there are many players that wouldn't play well with the magician.

Abdelkater is a very basic player which can be a very good thing for players like Z and Dats who use their hands and flash to get results. It is so valuable to have a player who goes hard crashing and banging to win the puck for the soft handed ones.

But what's different is DAT reportedly requested to have abby on his line. So that's how he got there in the first place. Now has his feelings changed? Who knows.

Datsyuk wouldn't publicly say anything bad, but you bet your sweet bippy that he'd go to Babcock if it was an issue.