• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewdanna

Question about Buying out Samuelsson

Rate this topic

It's all explained for you in the article I already quoted and linked to.

I read it. The only way we can do that is reassign under the Redden rule, but Sammy is over 35.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-a-35-plus-contract

Meaning, we only get $100,000 of cap relief. That does not conflict with the article you posted. I am just pointing out that we are pretty much stuck wit Sammy's contract, but not under 35 guys.

Edited by whitey

The league confirmed to CapGeek.com in March 2013 that the over-35 rule "doesn't apply either in the case of regular buyouts or in the case of compliance buyouts," meaning teams can use buyouts to reduce or eliminate the cap hit.

You just linked me to that quote lol

I dont think you did read it...

What doesn't make sense to me is it appears that he would have gotten more money with the compliance buyout than a regular buyout, so why would he refute the compliance buyout?

The player gets the same amount of money in either case (2/3 of the remaining contract value). I guess Samuelsson do not think that his chances of resigning with another team after buyout are that great. So he want to get his $3M from Wings.

I'd assign sammy to Toledo - he would waive his NTC so fast to avoid playing there. Because he doesn't have a NMC he can still be sent down I believe. Hopefully someone would claim him when we send him down. The guy doesn't have ALL the leverage and Holland can make him rot in Toledo while he earns that extra money and screws our cap.

Guest The Axe

I'd assign sammy to Toledo - he would waive his NTC so fast to avoid playing there. Because he doesn't have a NMC he can still be sent down I believe. Hopefully someone would claim him when we send him down. The guy doesn't have ALL the leverage and Holland can make him rot in Toledo while he earns that extra money and screws our cap.

I cant believe we have to plot revenge against a player. We're like islander fans right now! Is Ken Holland the new Garth Snow?

We would still have a $2.1 million dollar cap hit though, so not much better.

Guest Crymson

Holland needs a Luca Brasi.

But Holland is to blame for signing this useless player in the first place. Just more evidence of Holland's recent stupidity in the free agent market.

Yep, Yzerman has been much better. Unlike Holland, he knows that defense and good goaltending are completely unnecessary.

We would still have a $2.1 million dollar cap hit though, so not much better.

Well we would have it no matter what... and it would be 2.9mill I believe. Might as well make Sammy's life miserable if he wants to stick around that bad and mess with Holland's plans. I have a feeling the threat of waivers/sent down would sway Sammy's attitude.

Guest The Axe

1.05 million cap hit for this year and next year if we buy him out in august. Im sure thats what we'll do. The Wings may ask the league for relief in having Sammy's buyout count as a compliance buyout, considering the special circumstances.

Yep, Yzerman has been much better. Unlike Holland, he knows that defense and good goaltending are completely unnecessary.

Saying someone else performed worse does not mean Holland did well. Holland has made some TERRIBLE FA acquisitions in the past. Jason Williams, Sammy, Hatcher, Conklin, Exelby, Calder, Cross, etc.

The only FAs there were really any good were Lang, Bert, Rafalski, Hossa, Miller, Eaves, Hasek 2.0.

The past 10 years is a big enough sample size to determine that FA, and trades are not Holland's strong points. He's good at managing the cap, drafting, and re-signing.

How can this guy hold the organization hostage? Its a joke.

Seriously. I was not thrilled at all about this signing originally, but now, as bad as it sounds, I kinda hope he gets his bell rung or something enough so we can just be done with this douch and put him on LTIR.

Guest The Axe

Seriously. I was not thrilled at all about this signing originally, but now, as bad as it sounds, I kinda hope he gets his bell rung or something enough so we can just be done with this douch and put him on LTIR.

How are his teammates going to want him around?

Saying someone else performed worse does not mean Holland did well. Holland has made some TERRIBLE FA acquisitions in the past. Jason Williams, Sammy, Hatcher, Conklin, Exelby, Calder, Cross, etc.

The only FAs there were really any good were Lang, Bert, Rafalski, Hossa, Miller, Eaves, Hasek 2.0.

The past 10 years is a big enough sample size to determine that FA, and trades are not Holland's strong points. He's good at managing the cap, drafting, and re-signing.

You do realize a number of names you point out as free agent acquisitions were in fact NOT free agent acquisitions? Calder, Cross, & Lang for example were acquired via trade & Miller was a waiver pick up.

How are his teammates going to want him around?

This was my first concern. It takes a special kind of person to f*** over a team and still manage to remain friends with the players... I don't see Babs welcoming him back into the starting lineup with open arms either.

Guest Crymson

Seriously? Hatcher was a bruising defenseman who didn't do poorly, but rather suffered a knee injury early on. Exelby was on a two-way contract and played in the AHL. Calder was acquired via trade, a trade that dumped Williams the first time and helped the Wings get the 1st seed in the 2007 playoffs. Cross was a trade, and was gotten for virtually nothing. Miller was acquired on waivers. Lang was acquired by trade. Bertuzzi was also originally acquired by trade.

If you're going to make these sorts of claims, at least get your information right. And yes, Holland is a better GM than Yzerman. Unlike Steve, he's able to build and maintain a viable team. By any standards whatsoever---barring the "We suck if we don't win the Cup every year" measure---Holland has done brilliantly in his 15 years as GM. There are many people here who are simply so accustomed to success that anything beneath perfection seems terrible.

By comparison, Yzerman received a young team that featured some good defensemen, some excellent forwards, and the best goal-scorer in the world, and then apparently decided that he didn't need to worry about goaltending or defense anymore. The team he inherited made the WCF, then promptly bombed in the next two seasons.

Seriously? Hatcher was a bruising defenseman who didn't do poorly, but rather suffered a knee injury early on. Exelby was on a two-way contract and played in the AHL. Calder was acquired via trade, a trade that dumped Williams the first time and helped the Wings get the 1st seed in the 2007 playoffs. Cross was a trade, and was gotten for virtually nothing. Miller was acquired on waivers. Lang was acquired by trade. Bertuzzi was also originally acquired by trade.

If you're going to make these sorts of claims, at least get your information right. And yes, Holland is a better GM than Yzerman. Unlike Steve, he's able to build and maintain a viable team. By any standards whatsoever---barring the "We suck if we don't win the Cup every year" measure---Holland has done brilliantly in his 15 years as GM. There are many people here who are simply so accustomed to success that anything beneath perfection seems terrible.

By comparison, Yzerman received a young team that featured some good defensemen, some excellent forwards, and the best goal-scorer in the world, and then apparently decided that he didn't need to worry about goaltending or defense anymore. The team he inherited made the WCF, then promptly bombed in the next two seasons.

The team Holland inherited won the Stanley Cup in 98. His first big moves as a GM were to acquire Ulf Samuelsson, Wendel Clark and Bill Ranford. Chelios I can't give him much credit for because it fell into his lap the way Pronger did the Ducks. Then in spite of his additions to an already great team, the next 3 seasons the Wings lost in the 2nd round twice and 1st round once.

Was that all Holland's fault? Nope. But neither was it all Stevie's in Tampa. It very much remains to be seen what kind of GM Yzerman will be.

Holland has excelled at making adjustments to keep the great team he inherited at the top of the league. He's also done a very good job adjusting to the salary cap. But rebuilding is quite a different thing and while it's early yet, so far his track record is a lot spottier.

Guest DeGraa55

anyone on here liked the Sammy signing last off season?

Only Holland?

Actually I think some people did like it for his right handed shot and veteran leadership....lol.

I was an unashamed Sammy supported.

Right up until this last signing.

Before this last go 'round I thought he was a responsible and decent player.

He did what was asked and played hard.

This last signing was baffling to me, I still believe Holland to be the best GM in the league, but the pick up of Bert and Sammy had me scratching my head.

The team Holland inherited won the Stanley Cup in 98. His first big moves as a GM were to acquire Ulf Samuelsson, Wendel Clark and Bill Ranford.

Hahaha oh man, the memories. I remember going down to the Joe as a kid right after that move, and seeing Ranford start against the Ducks. What a disaster for the Wings he was.

My thought at the time was "what sort of dumbass would actually trade for this guy?"

Edited by evilmrt