• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

How about this doozy in 1981: Mike Foligno, Dale McCourt, & Brent Peterson to Buffalo, for Danny Gare, Jim Schoenfeld, & Derek Smith?

Holy crap, I honestly had no idea Mike Foligno was drafted by the Wings.  I thought he was always a Saber.  wow, that sucks.  

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#22 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Or how about Mike Sillinger, and his 226 post Red Wing goals? The trade was Sillinger & Jason York for Stu Grimson, Mark Ferner, and Anaheim's 6th round draft pick in 1996.

Edited by NYC Wings Fanatic, 08 July 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#23 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Or how about Mike Sillinger, and his 226 post Red Wing goals? The trade was Sillinger & Jason York for Stu Grimson, Mark Ferner, and Anaheim's 6th round draft pick in 1996.

10 other teams also dumped Sillinger in one way or another. He played for 12 different teams in his NHL career.

Jason York may have been the better player in that one.

Edited by stillwater, 08 July 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#24 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

already mentioned, but none worse than the Oates/McLean for Federko/McKegney...

in hindsight, it kind of re-burrs my behind that we didn't re-acquire Fedorov in 2007 or 2008 for Filppula... Fedorov could have retired where he belonged and we could have done away with 5+ years of  "reaching potential" only to lose him for nothing as a UFA...

Not to get into the Feds debate again, but I will say this.

2 factors into him not coming back.

1. C-bus probably wasn't trading him to a team in their division.

2 Here is where it gets tricky.

Think of the bad taste the whole Feds ordeal left in some fans, Feds is a polarizing figure, love him or hate him really no in between when it comes to Wings' fans.

Now I have to assume it left the same kind of bad taste in the Management's mouth.

And a "potential" (lol) 3rd reason was at that time Flip's potential was supposed to be really high and weighing a few years of Feds against Flips potential was a pretty heavy decision.

Sure hindsight being 20/20 you look back on it and think man they should have traded Flip for Feds, but at the time Flip still wasn't a known commodity and the thought was he was going to be a lot better.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#25 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

10 other teams also dumped Sillinger in one way or another. He played for 12 different teams in his NHL career.

Jason York may have been the better player in that one.

Wow - you are right! Sillinger played for 12 teams in his career, which is pretty amazing!

or how about Mike Knuble , with 270 post Wings goals, in 2000 to the Rangers for a draft pick that became Tomas Kopecky?

#26 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Wow - you are right! Sillinger played for 12 teams in his career, which is pretty amazing!

or how about Mike Knuble , with 270 post Wings goals, in 2000 to the Rangers for a draft pick that became Tomas Kopecky?

Yes but with no Kopecky there would be no Hossa, and then the Wings don't win that cu.....

OH nevermind!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#27 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Yes but with no Kopecky there would be no Hossa, and then the Wings don't win that cu.....

OH nevermind!

and let's not even go to wishful thinking that we now had them both instead of Franzene!

#28 oldredbarnman

oldredbarnman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Holy crap, I honestly had no idea Mike Foligno was drafted by the Wings.  I thought he was always a Sabre.  wow, that sucks.  

He had 36 goals his first season, and came in 2nd for rookie of the year behind Brian Propp.

#29 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Primeau was like 25 years old when he got traded. He had 26 - 34 goals in 4 out of the next 5 seasons and he was hurt in the other season out of that. Keith Primeau wasn't a hall of famer or anything, but he had successful seasons after Detoit got rid of him.

Primeau was

Primeau was like 25 years old when he got traded. He had 26 - 34 goals in 4 out of the next 5 seasons and he was hurt in the other season out of that. Keith Primeau wasn't a hall of famer or anything, but he had successful seasons after Detroit got rid of him.

Primeau was very good when he was traded his problem was he wasn't producing in the play offs
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,077 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Red Kelly.

Close thread.

Marcel Dionne is the biggest.

After Kelly.  Kelly not only went to the Wings rival, but won four Cups playing center for the Leafs, and had his jersey honored by the Leafs.   

Meanwhile, the Wings didn't win squat for another 40 years.   

That said, his jersey should be hanging from the JLA rafters today, regardless.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 08 July 2013 - 07:32 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Red Kelly.

Close thread.

After Kelly.  Kelly not only went to the Wings rival, but won four Cups playing center for the Leafs, and had his jersey honored by the Leafs.  

Meanwhile, the Wings didn't win squat for another 40 years.   

Holland is a terrible GM for trading away those players.

:ok:

Knuble was traded in 1998, and did not break out until the 2002-2003 season. In his four seasons after the trade, he mustered an unimpressive 42 total goals. This came on the heels of a very unimpressive season with the Wings; he played himself off of a roster that simply had very little space at the time.

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Knuble was traded in 1998, and did not break out until the 2002-2003 season. In his four seasons after the trade, he mustered an unimpressive 42 total goals. This came on the heels of a very unimpressive season with the Wings; he played himself off of a roster that simply had very little space at the time.

wait so you're telling me we won 3 stanley cups without him?

#33 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Sean Avery.  :lol:

#34 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

You are right - my bad. The Wings received the Rangers 2000 pick, but the trade itself was in 1998. His breakout season was 2002 with the Bruins, in which he had 30 goals and 29 assists, and that was the first of his 8 straight seasons of 21 or more goals. At 6'3" and 230 lbs, he had that Shanahan-type size that we could so badly use today!

#35 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

You are right - my bad. The Wings received the Rangers 2000 pick, but the trade itself was in 1998. His breakout season was 2002 with the Bruins, in which he had 30 goals and 29 assists, and that was the first of his 8 straight seasons of 21 or more goals. At 6'3" and 230 lbs, he had that Shanahan-type size that we could so badly use today!

He was very unimpressive during his time with the Wings, and then with the Rangers. There was no predicting that he'd turn into a valuable player four years down the line.

He did benefit from his time with the Wings, though; he has his name on the Stanley Cup (53 regular seasons games in '97-'98), and his very first NHL game was on March 26th, 1997.

Edited by Crymson, 08 July 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#36 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

March 5th, 1991:

to NYR:  Joe Kocur, Per Djoos

to DET:  Kevin Miller, Jim Cummins, Dennis Vial

damn we sure missed that Djoos guy! :D

edit: Although, we then traded Miller for Ciccarelli the following year, so all was good.

Edited by LeftWinger, 08 July 2013 - 10:25 PM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Igor Larionov made us a great team, and was VERY instrumental in all of our Cups, but man did I miss Ray Sheppard...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#38 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

Besides the really old time legends...not really any of the players turned into all stars or fundamental building blocks for other franchises, though. Knuble or Sillenger or Drake were pieces, not really franchise guys.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#39 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

March 5th, 1991:

to NYR:  Joe Kocur, Per Djoos

to DET:  Kevin Miller, Jim Cummins, Dennis Vial

I remember seeing Vial play for the Sheffield Steelers in the British Superleague, never realised he was a former Wing, remembered him from the Senators expansion days though.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#40 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

How about just defensemen we lost to injury....Vlady and Fischer.