#41 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Red Kelly.

Close thread.

After Kelly.  Kelly not only went to the Wings rival, but won four Cups playing center for the Leafs, and had his jersey honored by the Leafs.   

Meanwhile, the Wings didn't win squat for another 40 years.   

That said, his jersey should be hanging from the JLA rafters today, regardless.  

Absolutely agree.  Losing Kelly was ridiculously bad.  

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#42 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Oates is the big one for me, mostly because it happened when  I was a young Wings fan and Oates was among my favorite players.   Graves is another one.  

Given their track record the Wings might want to re-think things next time they consider trading any player named Adam. 

#43 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 679 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I know his best seasons were with us, but I was sad to see Ysebaert go.  IIRC, we got Ward for him, though, so given his later production this actually turned out ok.

Chiasson for Vernon was a bummer at the time, but we all know how that one turned out.

On the subject of the Primeau trade, I was upset to see Coffey go.  I was a huge fan of his -- watching him and Nick hold the line on the PP was a thing of beauty.  Shanahan worked out pretty well for us, though ;)

Edited by Uncle Danny, 09 July 2013 - 12:38 PM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#44 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

One of my thoughts on this topic are that we value these young players so much that to trade them for established talent...NOOOO! But if you look back in the storied history of the Red Wings, it's usually worked out in our favor.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#45 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

March 5th, 1991:

to NYR:  Joe Kocur, Per Djoos

to DET:  Kevin Miller, Jim Cummins, Dennis Vial

damn we sure missed that Djoos guy! :D

edit: Although, we then traded Miller for Ciccarelli the following year, so all was good.

Didn't Djoos score 4-5 goals IN ONE GAME against the North Stars once?

I know his best seasons were with us, but I was sad to see Ysebaert go.  IIRC, we got Ward for him, though, so given his later production this actually turned out ok.

Chiasson for Vernon was a bummer at the time, but we all know how that one turned out.

On the subject of the Primeau trade, I was upset to see Coffey go.  I was a huge fan of his -- watching him and Nick hold the line on the PP was a thing of beauty.  Shanahan worked out pretty well for us, though ;)

I loved it when Primeau got traded. LOVED it. I guess I never got over the fact that we didn't take Jagr because of Petr Klima's troubles. When I think of Primeau on the ice, he's butt is wet from falling down so often trying to unsuccessfully split the defense. Off the ice, I can't forget the grown man COLLECTED MICKEY MOUSE FIGURINES.

Hated seeing Chiasson go too. I still fondly can hear, "Chaisson with a drive!" coming over my radio.

#46 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

I loved it when Primeau got traded. LOVED it. I guess I never got over the fact that we didn't take Jagr because of Petr Klima's troubles. When I think of Primeau on the ice, he's butt is wet from falling down so often trying to unsuccessfully split the defense. Off the ice, I can't forget the grown man COLLECTED MICKEY MOUSE FIGURINES.

I actually made a compilation video of Primeau falling down over and over and over and over, it was pretty long.

#47 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

I actually made a compilation video of Primeau falling down over and over and over and over, it was pretty long.

Is it on Youtube? I'd love to watch that. In my circle of friends, we called Primeau "Lumpy." Not exactly sure why but it seemed to fit.

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

the best was when he got checked into to penalty box by I think it was Gary Galley...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=h_uAcWV-WJ8

yep..... :hysterical:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#49 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Primeau sat out and made ridiculous contract demands and complained endlessly about not being able to play center.  I was thrilled to see him go and to get Shanahan in the deal was too good to be true. 

Adam Oates was traded because Jimmy D. heard that Adam Oates' name appeared in a "black book" of a drug dealer, and on the heels of all the Probert problems, wanted to quickly get rid of him.  Turned out to be nothing.  It wasn't as though he was a prospect here, he was already a good player.  It helped being able to play with Brett Hull.

Just because a player was traded and may have put up better numbers somewhere else, doesn't mean they ever would have turned into that same player here. 

#50 oldredbarnman

oldredbarnman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Maybe you're thinking of Johan Garpenlov? He scored 5 straight goals over two games during his rookie season. 1 against Minnesota, and 4 against St. Louis, Nov.. 23, 1990. I was at the Blues game with my best friend. Turned out to be his last Wings' game, he died in his sleep 10 days later.

#51 oldredbarnman

oldredbarnman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Even though it wasn't a trade, losing Randy McKay to New Jersey for compensation over the Troy "Bad Back" Crowder signing. Tough, hardnosed kid who was part of the "Crash Line", and helped the Devils beat the Wings in '95.

#52 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Is it on Youtube? I'd love to watch that. In my circle of friends, we called Primeau "Lumpy." Not exactly sure why but it seemed to fit.

It's not on YouTube, that was in the days of VHS. I would have to find the box that contains all the old VHS and upload it. Which may happen. :)

#53 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Maybe you're thinking of Johan Garpenlov? He scored 5 straight goals over two games during his rookie season. 1 against Minnesota, and 4 against St. Louis, Nov.. 23, 1990. I was at the Blues game with my best friend. Turned out to be his last Wings' game, he died in his sleep 10 days later.

Yep, was definitely Garpenlov. My mistake.

#54 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Djoos only had 2 NHL goals, so I'm gonna guess "no"...  maybe it was assists?

And as soon as I posted this, I saw the Garpenlov answer.  Ha.

Edited by joshy207, 11 July 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#55 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

Dionne hurts with what could have been.

Although if he stayed we might not have ever seen some guy named Stevie Y.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#56 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

Dionne hurts with what could have been.
Although if he stayed we might not have ever seen some guy named Stevie Y.

Stevie y? Who the heck is that?

Lol........