• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shutemdown

Any new Helm Updates?

Rate this topic

Last time I heard any updates on Helm's condition, he was feeling better but still taking it day-to-day. He announced that he hoped/planned to skate during the training camp this summer and would *hopefully* be back to normal by the end of training camp.

The little nagging voice in the back of my head still has me worried about Helmer, though.

He seems to have a knack for finding the most bizarre ways of getting injured, at the least convenient times. I guess I'm just crossing my fingers that we won't get any more bad news regarding Helm before the start of the season.

I originally started getting worried toward the end of last season when people began saying that his back injuries could, in theory, spell the end of his NHL career, and I'm beginning to get more and more and worried!

He is my favorite player currently playing (or on a roster, at least) in the NHL right now, has been for probably 3-4 years now. I own a Helm home jersey, away jersey, and multiple jersey shirts. I feel like I have been going through Helm withdrawals this past year and I can't take it anymore.

Anyone out there have any updates on his current status? Interviews, press coverage, anything? I could use a little sliver of good Helm news to set my mind at ease! :]

Guest Crymson

Latest news says he's feeling better and will participate in development camp.

I think we should start hearing some news come out of the Development Camp that starts Wednesday. Here, read this....

The Red Wings will hold their prospects development camp at Centre ICE Arena in Traverse City beginning Wednesday.

Draft picks from this year and the past couple summers, and some Grand Rapids Griffins, will participate, including 2013 first-round forward Anthony Mantha.
The only 2013 draft pick not expected to attend is fifth-round defenseman Mitchell Wheaton, who is recovering from shoulder surgery.
Defenseman Danny DeKeyser, a late-season college free-agent addition who impressed the Red Wings, is also expected to take part, as is veteran Darren Helm.
This will be a crucial test for Helm, who was limited to one game the entire season because of back problems

Interesting to see Danny D there, too. I guess Kenny still had some questions in his mind?

Interesting to see Danny D there, too. I guess Kenny still had some questions in his mind?

they're probably just trying to get him as much conditioning/practice in before the season as possible. He could have even asked them to participate in the camp. Edited by amato

Guest The Axe

they're probably just trying to get him as much conditioning/practice in before the season as possible. He could have even asked them to participate in the camp.

I bet the Wings ask for volunteers to participate so the young guys see the effort level and skill level needed to be a Wing. Then the guys that need the work probably jump on it.

Guest Crymson

Once again... permanent dmage is much less of a concern when surgery can be avoided.

Fantastic news that Helm will be skating with the youngsters later this week. He has been so unfortunate the past two years, and I hope these injuries are all well behind him.

One of my favorite players in the league, it will be a pleasure to watch him skate again.

If Helm is able to come back, I won't be surprised if he's never the player he used to be. I hope I'm wrong...

^ This is exactly what I am worried about! I know it won't be long before he's able to give it another go, but will he still have the speed and the drive?

Watching a Helm that is slow and careful out on the ice would be better than nothing, but also the most depressing thing ever. :\

Guest Crymson
81 Michael Babcock, Jr. * F 5.09 150 —

Det. Catholic Central (MHSAA)

:nervous: I hope his game is as intense as his old mans stare...

I sure hope not, else they'll be picking body parts up from the ice at the end of each day.

Pretty sure we're all pulling for Helmer here. It's kind of scary how long he's been out of game shape. It'll definitely be a huge relief to see him blazing by at top speed again.

I bet the Wings ask for volunteers to participate so the young guys see the effort level and skill level needed to be a Wing. Then the guys that need the work probably jump on it.

It's also a good way for the Wings and their prospects to gauge their graduates to their other top prospects. A little challenge for them all.

81 Michael Babcock, Jr. * F 5.09 150 —

Det. Catholic Central (MHSAA)

:nervous: I hope his game is as intense as his old mans stare...

I think he was there last year too. That's the perk of having your old man as the coach. You get to train with the best franchise in the NHL and learn some s*** from some quality prospects and improve his game. 5'09, 150 lbs sounds like a Hampus Jr, not Babcock.

Guest Crymson

It's also a good way for the Wings and their prospects to gauge their graduates to their other top prospects. A little challenge for them all.

I think he was there last year too. That's the perk of having your old man as the coach. You get to train with the best franchise in the NHL and learn some s*** from some quality prospects and improve his game. 5'09, 150 lbs sounds like a Hampus Jr, not Babcock.

The Chelios boys have been to camp as well.

I think we should start hearing some news come out of the Development Camp that starts Wednesday. Here, read this....

They had invited Danny D on an optional basis. If he wanted to attend, he was more than welcome to and would be welcomed to help train and advise the youngsters in the pipeline. Originally it was reported that he was going to attend in that role but is not currently anymore. I'm not sure what had happened between those dates or anything. I just know that it was optional for him, and that was their plan heading into it.

Mike Babcock's kid has been there for at least the past few years. It has to be nice being able to share the ice with some of the best prospects and learning from them. On top of dealing with an outstanding group of advisers.

Helmer's true test won't be until around the 12-13th after they play their intra squad scrimmage on the 12th. I would have to believe that's when he'll really push it and be able to see where he stands. That is, of course, if he doesn't re-agitate beforehand.

Guest The Axe

Mike's 3 other sons (Daniel, D.C., and Eleven) will also be at camp.