• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shutemdown

Any new Helm Updates?

Rate this topic

The tone isn't quite as positive as I'd been hearing for the past few days, but basically nothing has gone wrong yet.

Mlive

"He'll go back on (the ice) the last two days," Holland said. "He plans to be out for the full practices. How has he done? He's done OK. No setbacks.

"But I can tell you he's definitely not partaking in all aspects of the camp by design."

Um... Someone at the front office got confused???

No. Actually it is two people but there is a spelling error on the roster. I'm here in TC, and I saw it too. Funny - they were born a month and a half apart, both play goalie and both here at the same time.

The only Chelios I've seen is Dean. My friend George Malik said that Jake is at Chicago's camp doing pretty much the same thing his brother's doing here.

Edited by Kira

From Detroit Free Press:

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said he spoke with forward Darren Helm last week in British Columbia, Canada and the progress report he got back was good.

Helm played in one regular-season game last season and missed all of the playoffs with a back injury. He skated at the Red Wings development camp in Traverse City last month.

“Everything’s good,” Holland said. “He feels good. He’s training. I know he trained very hard last week. He’s in Detroit. He’s very happy where he’s at. He has no issues. Obviously, the challenge is physical play. I’m cautiously optimistic.”

Per Mlive today

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said he spoke with forward Darren Helm last week in British Columbia, Canada and the progress report he got back was good.

Helm played in one regular-season game last season and missed all of the playoffs with a back injury. He skated at the Red Wings development camp in Traverse City last month.

“Everything’s good,” Holland said. “He feels good. He’s training. I know he trained very hard last week. He’s in Detroit. He’s very happy where he’s at. He has no issues. Obviously, the challenge is physical play. I’m cautiously optimistic.”

Holland is hoping Helm will be able to come to training camp next month without any issues.

“Getting banged around, that’s part of his game,” Holland said. “That’s part of what makes him special. He’s physical. He’s on the puck. He finishes body checks. He goes to hard areas.

“I’m sure early on we’ll probably go light with him in preseason games. But in order to be able to play the first game of the year against Buffalo on Oct. 2, he’s going to have to play three or four preseason games. My feeling is if he’s in the lineup against Buffalo we’re feeling pretty good about things.”

Helm would be a huge boost to the team’s depth as their third-line center. The Wings were essentially without an entire third line last season with Helm, Todd Bertuzzi (back) and Mikael Samuelsson (multiple injuries) limited to a combined 12 games.

Hope his back can heal fully at first and then think about returning to the game, life > hockey. Having that said I wouldn't put him in against the Sabres with John Scott in the lineup.

I wouldn't worry too much about a guy who can barely skate well enough to stay in the NHL going after our fastest skater. Plus, I would imagine that Helm's ice time will start very low and build up as he gets acclimated to playing on a regular basis again.

I wouldn't worry too much about a guy who can barely skate well enough to stay in the NHL going after our fastest skater. Plus, I would imagine that Helm's ice time will start very low and build up as he gets acclimated to playing on a regular basis again.

I could see them pushing him to play more during the pre-season to try and get him acclimated as fast as possible. He's had more than enough time, on top of development camp, to start pushing his workouts right now (Which he said he was!). By training camp he should be in full drills and see how it runs then. If everything goes good, plug him into more pre-season games and lets get at it in October.

It would be a workout for Scott chasing down Helmer haha. I frickin miss Helmer like no other

I'm guessing that if no trades can be worked out, Helm will start the season on LTIR, thus relieving one roster spot.

Hope he continues to get better, and only comes back when he's completely ready.

What is that based on?

Just a guess, nothing more. Lots of stories/articles online have stated that Helm could be placed on LTIR if he's not ready to start the season, thus leaving Detroit only one player over the roster limit. Still leaves another move to be made for cap compliance and roster limit, of course. But Helm on LTIR temporarily makes Kenny's decision a little bit easier.

What is that based on?

Just a guess, nothing more. Lots of stories/articles online have stated that Helm could be placed on LTIR if he's not ready to start the season, thus leaving Detroit only one player over the roster limit. Still leaves another move to be made for cap compliance and roster limit, of course. But Helm on LTIR temporarily makes Kenny's decision a little bit easier.

Lots of stories say that barring a set back he will be ready.